Should there be an "Intentional Citizen of the World", nationality and passport.

Pilotman

What is more practical is if a country welcomes people to become citizens one day, and have very small government tax liabilities, who in their right mind would not want to make the change. I am sure the only reason this does not happen is the countries who control everything would not let it happen. 

And you live in Rayong.? 

Well even a citizen of the world has to live somewhere (to paraphrase Milligan). 

Many years ago somebody used to advertise in Private Eye classifieds "Perpetual Traveller" status, but never found out exactly what was on offer. 

Citizenship is a 2-way-street: you have right as well as liabilities. All the foreigners in Thailand hardly contribute anything towards their country, right?

The OP reminds me a bit of the socalled souvereign citizens in the USA. They make up stories about the magna carta, the constitution, the written or common laws, in order to justify not paying taxes or not having a drivers licence and car insurance. Actually, when you look at them and see their actions, they are just plain idiots and the biggest losers in life.

Concerning your comment about the British Embassy: You may be right in that their service could indeed be better. However, a lot of people do unfortunately not know what the widespread tasks of a foreign embassy are. They sometimes think it is the Embassy's job to give loans to the broken countrymen or help to get the criminals fast out of jail or help the nutters without insurance in accidents.

NB: In the corona-crisis, my homecountry organised a lot of repatriation flights through the worldwide embassy-net. As this was seen as an emergency, people had to apply for the flight and to commit for the cost. Unfortunately, the majority of costs stayed unpaid afterwards. I can ensure you, if I were in charge, no single passenger would have entered the plane without prior paying his ticket. 

2 hours ago, SymS said:

I'd love this but this is not practical. You wouldn't be allowed to work anywhere without a work permit...

Where would you be deported?

I used to have a sort of world passport untill Brexit. I could travel and work without a permit in at least 27 other countries,no borders as such, it was great.

On 9/8/2020 at 10:52 AM, Pilotman said:

I consider myself a 'citizen of the world', although UK born and raised, I have spent little time there and now have no interest in the Country, or its people, bar my kids and extended family.  However, I of course need the UK passport for purely practical reasons. It would be nice to hold a passport that is not affiliated to any particular country.  Maybe a UN Passport, that gives certain rights and privileges of travel,  but that doesn't align you automatically with a particular country or nationality.  As the UK Embassy is a joke and totally useless, so I would not miss their not being available me. I would sign up for that

OP, it's not possible to get UN laissez-passer, unless you work for a certain international organization. There's no universally recognized "world passport", so the only option to accomplish your goal is to become stateless. I'm not sure if UK allows to renounce your only citizenship, but if you do, you can get a 1954 Convention travel document, which can be used for visa applications. Of course, being stateless, you can forget about visa-exemption entry to most countries ???? 

More info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_document

If you just want a nice trinket: https://worldservice.org/docpass.html

A common scam is to resell this World Passport for hundreds of dollars, claiming it gives you certain rights, but it's not true - acceptance is on case-by-case basis, and it's not recognized by the UN.

3 hours ago, rott said:

And you live in Rayong.? 

Well even a citizen of the world has to live somewhere (to paraphrase Milligan). 

Many years ago somebody used to advertise in Private Eye classifieds "Perpetual Traveller" status, but never found out exactly what was on offer. 

Milligan - From Woy Woy ????

"Maybe a UN Passport, that gives certain rights and privileges of travel,  but that doesn't align you automatically with a particular country or nationality." 

Anti-nationalist heresy.........burn him.

A world in which such alignments were not considered necessary/desirable would have to exist first.

Unfortunately an awful lot of people seem to believe they are.........along with religious, linguistic and other invented "alignments".

Rivers, mountains, deserts and oceans are natural barriers.

The unnatural barriers and borders were all created by humans.

One day:

image.png.ebbb0381ae4223edbaef20b045df1f5e.png

There are other designs for the flag, but it is my favourite.

Edited by Enoon

Should there be an "Intentional Citizen of the World", nationality and passport

What a great idea.  Every third world person living in squalor would be entitled to citizenship in the countries that have done the most with their countries.  Of course the "new citizens" would be entitled to all the welfare benefits.