Options For Tourists on Visa Exemption

So another crunch time is coming.  I'm not hearing any positive mood music about extending visa amnesty or sensible innovations like allowing tourists here to apply and get tourist visas whilst here in Thailand.

Thinking about my options...

1. Just waiting, hoping for some more late announcement of visa amnesty or some such. (I already used my normal 30 day extention when my first flight out was cancelled).

2. Letter from Embassy

I might try this but I think it is possible to get flights back (Ireland) with a couple of changes.  I have already 3 flights cancelled that I had paid for and they still have the money.  If immigration granted on this basis this I presume it would be 30 days from the 26th September only.

3. Medical Reasons

I had hope for this but from reading the latest posts it seems that this is a non-starter.  I came to Thailand this time because of a medical issue.  I have what may be termed 'an underlying condition'.  So I actually don't want to go traveling through or into Covid areas but it seems that is not sufficient reason for immigration (i.e. I can travel).

4. Non Immigrant Visa for retirees

I thought this was for 55+ but now I realise it is 50+ so I may be elegible???? but I don't know the full requirements.  I can't show any income but I have 400k in my Thai Bank account for the last few months and funds abroad?

5. Go to Visa Agent

My property agent said another client got some sort of visa (maybe 3 months?) for 25k from a Visa agent.

6 Go to other Asia country

No reason to but maybe it will be cheaper than going home and easier to eventually get back to China.

Personally I would like to stay on in Thailand as a tourist and spend my money here.  I normally go between Thailand and China but I got caught here on my last trip.  I am hoping to return to China (I had an apartment there) at some stage (there was air asia talk about a travel bubble between Macau & Thailand) which should be sooner/easier than if I have to go back to Europe.

Thanks for any help, ideas, insights or comments????

Tricksy

Edited by Tricksy
Extra info

16 minutes ago, Tricksy said:

Non Immigrant Visa for retirees

I thought this was for 55+ but now I realise it is 50+ so I may be elegible???? but I don't know the full requirements.  I can't show any income but I have 400k in my Thai Bank account for the last few months and funds abroad?

This would have been good option. You would be obtaining non O based on retirement. That requires 800k for your annual extension. 

I don't wish to sound rude but daily people in similar situation asking for advice with literally days left to 26. I hope Thai gov extend amnesty. If they do hopefully folk will organize long term extension.

Most other ideas such as travel to other asian countries is pipe dream. 

Edited by DrJack54

Just now, CorpusChristie said:

Retirement visas were available for less than 50 K , no questions asked .

It takes three weeks to process the application , you should have applied last week .

Ask around though, some agencies may still be able to do it 

Was it really 50k. I not familiar with agents personally, however I was under impression that a non o + annual extension  retirement was half that price. Again have no first hand knowledge.

There is also long weekend this month + the 26th is a Sat.

Why did people leave it so long to organize options

9 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Was it really 50k. I not familiar with agents personally, however I was under impression that a non o + annual extension  retirement was half that price. Again have no first hand knowledge.

That was for the initial 3 month visa and the 1 year extension 

6 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

And they will all probably wait until the 22 nd September , then suddenly realise there will be no visa extension and they will all be trying to book flights out the Country , which will all be full up 

Exactly, while the rest of us are playing by the rules and not flying by the seat of our pants.

Thanks for all the helpful replies...

I didn't realise until yesterday that I might be elegible for this non-imm O visa because of my age so that is why I don't know the requirements or about 15 day cut-offs.

A couple of points.

1. If I go through an agent does that reduce or ease the requirements? I have the 400k in my Thai bank account but not sure if I can transfer in another 400k from abroad now.

2. The money I have in my bank account I converted from foreign currency brought into Thailand (less than the limit for declaration).  So the only paperwork was from the currency exchange (not sure if I still have that).

3. In the other thread about the US embassy letter they are saying if you give in an embassy letter to immigration you will get an under-consideration stamp for 20 days that will stop you applying for a non-imm O visa (because of cut-off times?).

In the mean time I have applied for a letter from my embassy.  I am hopeful they will issue one.

Cheers

Tricksy

10 minutes ago, Tricksy said:

Thanks for all the helpful replies...

I didn't realise until yesterday that I might be elegible for this non-imm O visa because of my age so that is why I don't know the requirements or about 15 day cut-offs.

A couple of points.

1. If I go through an agent does that reduce or ease the requirements? I have the 400k in my Thai bank account but not sure if I can transfer in another 400k from abroad now.

2. The money I have in my bank account I converted from foreign currency brought into Thailand (less than the limit for declaration).  So the only paperwork was from the currency exchange (not sure if I still have that).

3. In the other thread about the US embassy letter they are saying if you give in an embassy letter to immigration you will get an under-consideration stamp for 20 days that will stop you applying for a non-imm O visa (because of cut-off times?).

In the mean time I have applied for a letter from my embassy.  I am hopeful they will issue one.

Cheers

Tricksy

You have a PM.

Better you don't use the letter from Embassy route if you want to stay for longer.

Edited by Eindhoven
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

Taking a huge gamble NOT getting a long term visa .

If they win, they get a month (maybe more) visa free

If they lose , they will have to leave Thailand and wont be back for a long time and will either have to go back home or hunt around for Countries that will allow them in , and they will probably end up paying more in the long run, in flights, quarantine , insurance etc 

Huge risk and gamble 

Exactly this. On top of it all there is another layer of concern I had. Unless certain countries such as Korea and Japan are reinstating their visa waiver program I'm looking to at some time having to apply for a tourist visa for any of these countries. The Japanese Embassy already told me that on a Thai tourist exempt, especially an expired one there would be zero chance of applying for a Japanese TV here in Thailand. I'd have to ship one of my passports back home and have them deal with the application IF at all offered given how much Covid we have back there.

Message sent on behalf of my son....

"I have been on overstay since April 17 when my 30 day Tourist visa expired on my TM 6 form (stamp on arrival), I arrived on the 19th March.

Am I covered by the amnesties which stated that anyone with overstay since March 26 is automatically extended to April 30 without visiting an immigration office and without paying an overstay penalty?"

Appreciate any advice

4 minutes ago, grahamjackson said:

"I have been on overstay since April 17 when my 30 day Tourist visa expired on my TM 6 form (stamp on arrival), I arrived on the 19th March.

Am I covered by the amnesties which stated that anyone with overstay since March 26 is automatically extended to April 30 without visiting an immigration office and without paying an overstay penalty?"

Appreciate any advice

Yes, he's covered by the amnesties, as is anyone who should have left on March 26th or later.  The amnesty has been extended multiple times and the end date is now September 26th, so he would be wise to start planning his exit now.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Not sure where poster is located but here in Pattaya, pre-covid Retirement extension I know a few guys first hand that pay between 12-15,000 to get the stamp and passport back in 2 days been doing it for years and they are still here. Don't need any money in bank now if being legal playing by the rules etc... that is another subject I don't really want to hear it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Not sure where poster is located but here in Pattaya, pre-covid Retirement extension I know a few guys first hand that pay between 12-15,000 to get the stamp and passport back in 2 days been doing it for years and they are still here. Don't need any money in bank now if being legal playing by the rules etc... that is another subject I don't really want to hear it.

That works if you have a Non-O entry or existing non-o permitted stay.  25K+ if on a TR Entry. 

But extra for "insurance" if your visa-entry (even years ago) was from the "Non-OA" visa-type.  And, yes, the agent "fixes" insurance too - like the financials - but for an "additional fee" (the real reason for the insurance-requirement).

Sad this is how the "system" works here.  Wish it would change, but not holding my breath.

Edited by JackThompson
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, grahamjackson said:

Appreciate any advice

Have sent you a PM.

2 hours ago, thailand49 said:

That is just for the yearly extension , the initial visa also costs .

The price has gone up a bit as well .

• Like 1

On 9/8/2020 at 1:14 PM, DrJack54 said:

That requires 800k for your annual extension. 

Not for everybody.
I just need a letter from my embassy stating that my income is above 65 000 bahts a month.
I read US, UK and australian embassies did not deliver such letter. Mine does.

Edited by daejung

Thanks again for the all the replys...

1. I contacted my embassy (Irish) they were very nice but asked for documentation on my underlying condition and my apartment in China.  So it doesn't seem automatic issuing (unless you get a different letter to address specific problems).

2. I was worried that even with an embassy letter I would get an 'under consideration' stamp which others had highlighted may prevent getting a non-imm O visa later.

3. A poster kindly suggested a well know agency in Bangkok who I contacted.  They offered a service for 18k for a non-imm O 3 month and an additional 14k for a year's extention (I'm 50+). (Extra for mutiple entries). I decided to go for the first option initially.

4. Whilst on my way to the post my passport I met my landlord (pattaya) who asked me about my visa situation and mentioned she her friend had helped out another tenant.  I said I was sorted but then I thought maybe it could cut-out any possible but unlikely postal issues.

5. I rang her again asked if her friend could do the same deal.  She said her friend wasn't actually an agent but on the inside.  It was messy 3way communication situation but the friend said a 1 year visa was easier for 32k.  Asked about 3 months and they said more expensive.  Kinda agreed to do the 1 year but the clock was ticking on the post office option and I wasn't clear about mutiple entry situation or what type of visa.  So in the end I went with my original 3 month option 18k and posted it off.  I said if I needed the 1 year renewal I would talk to her friend.

Cheers

Tricksy

Edited by Tricksy
Input 3 month on non-imm O

1 hour ago, CorpusChristie said:

That is just for the yearly extension , the initial visa also costs .

The price has gone up a bit as well .

FYI:
best price

a 90 day non O from a visa exempt entry or tourist visa, 18,000

add another 1 year to that for 14,000

BUT if its your 1st 1 year extension and you have the 800,000 in the bank for 2 months do the 1 year on your own for 1,900 baht

OR
if you can show a few months of 65,000 transferred from outside Thailand.

i doubt you will find it cheaper

Edited by zzzzz
  • Thanks 1

Can some

18 minutes ago, Tricksy said:

3. A poster kindly suggested a well know agency in Bangkok who I contacted.  They offered a service for 18k for a non-imm O 3 month and an additional 14k for a year's extention (I'm 50+). (Extra for mutiple entries). I decided to go for the first option initially.

13 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

FYI:
best price

a 90 day non O from a visa exempt entry or tourist visa, 18,000

add another 1 year to that for 14,000

Can someone PM me about where can I get a Non-O visa 3 months for 18k?

Im in Pattaya but I could go tomorrow to Bangkok if its necessary