Tourism minister: Accepts that expats have a big role to play in Thailand's domestic tourism recovery

rooster59

Tourism minister: Accepts that expats have a big role to play in Thailand's domestic tourism recovery

IMG_1518.jpg

Image: INN News

Thailand's minister for tourism and sports said that expats living and working in Thailand were an important target to help with stimulating the domestic tourism market, post Covid-19.

Pipat Ratchakitprakan said that there were about two and a half million foreigners with work permits in Thailand and of these there were 155,193 "skilled workers".

This appeared to be the group that he was particularly targeting along with 25,000 foreign students residing in Thailand.

tft.gif

He said that he had been working with organisations like the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA), the Thai Hoteliers' Association (THA) and associations promoting such things as golf and spas. 

They would be offering what he called "Business to Consumer" packages directly to expats. 

Thaivisa notes this was the central feature of an event that runs until Sunday called the "Expat Travel Deal 2020".

Source: INN News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-09-12

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, rooster59 said:

He said that he had been working with organisations like the Association of Thai Travel Agents (ATTA), the Thai Hoteliers' Association (THA) and associations promoting such things as golf and spas. 

one price for me.. another for thee..

remove double pricing for EVERYONE and i might think about helping out

until then happy to treat my family at home.

How does this Expat deal thing work? I went to the Travel expo at EM Quartier on Friday thinking that I would register & be given some info etc... but it was just a bunch of hotels pushing not very attractive packages & Air Asia / Bangkok Air flogging multi-tickets.

One of the Bangkok Air deals looked quite good (IIRC 3,800 for 4 single domestic flights so 900 a flight) but this was sold out when I got there at 3PM & they only had the 4 flights to Samui for 4,800 (Which is a bargain if you're into going to Samui). 

21 hours ago, anterian said:

Am I an untypical expat, I don't play golf, have no interest in golf and avoid any hotel that features it as an attraction. 

20 hours ago, Chris.B said:

Ditto

20 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

No. There are quite a few of us around. You are not alone.

I on the other hand like playing around .....:thumbsup:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brickbat said:

Ministry needs to think like Thai ladies. Farang rich!
Even the poor farang is rich in Thailand. Sweet mouth can coax him to buy her a house and car with his substantial life savings.....:thumbsup:

5 minutes ago, Airalee said:

Well worth it at ฿999 per night for my additional days I didn’t take the breakfast option because I usually don’t eat breakfast, but the breakfast was indeed superb.

This offer is giving a room with breakfast for 2,000 THB per night but with 600 baht credit in a restaurant.  I would say your deal was better.

1 minute ago, treetops said:

This offer is giving a room with breakfast for 2,000 THB per night but with 600 baht credit in a restaurant.  I would say your deal was better.

Mine was the Thai resident deal for the subsequent nights.  The first 5 days was the same as yours which is actually a better deal.  

Of that 2,000, the government pays 40% bringing it down to 1,200 (including breakfast).  

Then, you get the 600 baht credit in the restaurant (Doesn’t include drinks of course) and anything above that 600, the government then again pays 40% of the tab.  

It’s a steal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Unfortunetly, Thais seem to think all foreigners are wealthy, maybe better off than many Thais, but, not all of us have money to through around. I would like to have a break and get away to the beach maybe for a couple of weeks, but regret the Thai baht exchange rate has been so damaging to the Thai economy all round.

• Like 1