Thai immigration reminds foreigners: Time is running out to renew your visas

webfact

Had my application in since August.

Bottleneck at Chang Wattana according to the IO at Samut Prakan. "Get your papers in order", but they don't  provide the manpower to accomplish that.

At least the IO said no worries on the deadline since the paperwork was submitted on time. Hope he's  right.

"All long term foreigners residing in Thailand who renew will have their papers dated from September 27th. 

Naew Na said in their headline that those who have not done so should hurry up and extend.

Source: Naew Na"

I have been on an OA Retirement Visa and extensions for 18 years. It always gave me permission to stay from Oct 2 until Oct 1.  I changed it to a Marriage Visa/extension last week and was surprised to see it was approved from Sept 27, 2020 until Sept 26, 2021.  I wondered why, and didn't really think about it much, until I read the above photo caption. Not a big deal, just curious.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stephen tracy said:

I think some people dont meet the requirements to get one, flights are still being cancelled often enough to cause some worry, and people are apprehensive about jumping on long-haul, multi-stop flights to Covid-wracked destinations. There was also some hope that the government may extend amnesty. For me, although born in the UK, left when I was 6 years old so going back there is not really viable option for me. I've been trying to find flats to rent in southern Spain (where I was before Thailand) but the responses I'm getting back from landlords and agents is that, although happy to rent to me, they wont let me move in until I've stayed in a hotel for 10 days to 2 weeks and have a test. I'm just hoping the visa I've applied for gets approved. The first one I applied for turned out to be a visa agent scam. 

interesting that landlords in spain have similar sense or xenofobi to not accept new renters direct lol. kinda how it was as I first got stuck on my travel in south thailand as country was hastily locked down & interprovincial travel banned thus I couldn't get back up north & was refused rents locally. in fact kicked out from a hotel/residence after 1 night whilst day before she said i could rent monthly no problem ???? 

best of luck with your agent visa I'm waiting also apparently due for taking pics at immigration friday...

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, JusticeGB said:

There were messages to Thai Visa even a couple of days ago expecting that Immigration would be bound to extend Visas yesterday even though it's been made clear for over a month that 26th September was the final date. Just because it might be sensible to keep spending power in Thailand it doesn't follow that Immigration will take that into account. Tourists are not residents they come here with the expectation of staying for a limited period not for 6 months like many have had already. The idea that because covid19 is less virulent in Thailand than in your home country is not a factor that should concern Immigration. 

yes tourist have to stay at least 90 days & preferably 270 days. pls get yourself up to date!!

It is of my opinion that the current visa amnesty period will be extended, and I would anticipate it to be another 2 months.

This is based on the current economic conditions going forward and the uncertainty regarding COVID numbers outside Thailand. 

This is only my opinion.  

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

When I see news like this it makes me wonder. Ok now I have a long time visa and you tell me I have 4 days to renew it.This is a retirement visa for 12 months from last April and so lasts til April next year.I cannot believe I am in this same category,so can somebody please explain to me who are these people that only have 4 days---- thank you

• Confused 5

I forgot to mention that I have been here 14 yrs,I have my house vehicles and a wife for almost all that time. I initially disregarded all this as I thought and read it to be just a problem with yhose that were initially stranded due to Covid 19 but some replies seem to be referring to people who are in my exact position--- long term visas!!!!!! Well OK that's me !!!!!

5 minutes ago, Kwaibill said:

I have read from several people in other threads, including Ubonjoe, that if your existing paperwork is in order then the amnesty and its expiry do not affect you. So no, you do not have just four days. Neither does anyone else, for that matter. I have been in on the amnesty scheme from its inception, and when its expiry was announced started jumping through hoops to get my visa squared away.

I entered on a no visa required status as a US citizen, so have been without until applying in August. Still without, actually, but local IO says to not worry because my paperwork is submitted and was checked before submission up the line to the apparently overwhelmed authorization department.

So I am one of those "four day" people. I think you are safe to continue on with your existing permission.

Thank you for that Kwaibill,I only hope you're right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, holy cow cm said:

They want tourists but not the 150,000 already here. Don't figure.

They want them too if they qualify for any of the many in-country visa options that are available. If not, they are likely low spending visitors that are likely pretty tapped-out after a 7 month holiday and should head back home. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1