Thai hotel seeks deal with guest facing jail over bad reviews

snoop1130

2 minutes ago, ukrules said:

I doubt that very much, this guy went on a hate campaign, in his mind he's winning...I suspect he will attempt to make some money out of this.

Then he will be deported for being a dangerous criminal.

A dangerous criminal??

Four reviews locked up for a weekend on the Island where the hotel owner is local royalty, threatened with two years in jail, lost his job

Would you recommend shackles on the way to the airport?

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, marinediscoking said:

I don't understand your constant defense of this hotel. You take their statements as word of god, were you a witness to the interaction? The hotel's response was way over the top and they deserve what has rained down on them.

I ran a business in Thailand over 15 years and had to deal with some of the biggest idiots on the planet, this goes with operating any business anywhere.  Owners need to protect their brand by deescalating not escalating.  My biggest fear was not dealing with foreign idiots but an upset Thai's with friends in low places like this hotel. 

Thank you. I run a business too. I do everything in my power to please a customer, and make sure they return. Whatever you need, you get. 

All this tone deaf hotel had to do in this case, most likely, was to waive the corkage fee on the first bottle. I know tons of restaurants that do this. It is a very small courtesy. Or offer corkage at half price. Anything. And it is likely they asked an exorbitant amount for corkage. With tons of attitude. So, who is at fault here? 

It seems to be this hotel is getting what they deserve. It is known as cumuppance or the boomerang effect. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand deserves whatever comes its way as a result of this. Those insane and cowardly defamation laws have been around way too long. They were written and passed by sold out politicians, for men who sell inferior products, offer inferior services, and steal alot of money. And do not intend to be answerable to anyone. Perhaps some of that will change. 

For those of us who have been here a awhile, we know that positive change only happens here through utter embarrassment, humiliation, and a loss of face. It never happens because it is the right thing to do, or due to fairness or equity. So, it must be thrust upon them, such as in this incident.

The lack of vision prevents them from seeing it coming. Egg on the face can be a cure for many diseases and weaknesses. 

Similar situation with 2 female daughters of a certain muppet with the Thai laws on computer and social media comments,shoot themselves in the foot at every turn. TIT.

• Haha 2

But...but...whatever agreement they come to...the stain  is here to stay. It will always be THE hotel that had a guest jailed for his negative comments on their place...and that is whatever stories are told by either sides regarding the matter

I personally have made some negative comments about some hotels here in Thailand over the years, never abusive, just tell what the hotel was like, in service and rooms. The odd one I have recommended not to stay there.

I have read many other peoples reviews far worse than mine, generally, most reviews are positive,  and there are a  few negative. Some hotels, no matter where they are in the world have to accept these reviews.

I see this as another nail in Thailand's tourist coffin, and I am sure many people will think twice about writing reviews anymore if visiting Thailand, maybe, even to the point of not visiting at all. 

Moral of the story, don't write crappy reviews if you live here, after all, this is amazing Thailand.

What was the sentence for the firearms offence in 2017.? 

I am surprised that people with backgrounds like this are considered suitable for teaching. 

What did the parents of the children he taught think of it.?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, seajae said:

its in aussie papers

It has been splashed across the world by being made newsworthy on MSN for the last couple of days.  Maybe the hotel owner did not "think" for want of another expression, that this would escalate to the height it has because he trusted in the all mighty defence of the Thai defamation laws.  It may also send a message to other organisations, institutions, and people to beware of the might of the news media.

`nuf sed.

Just now, rott said:

What was the sentence for the firearms offence in 2017.? 

I am surprised that people with backgrounds like this are considered suitable for teaching. 

What did the parents of the children he taught think of it.?

Think he entered on tourist visa or visa exempt. Police check not required. It's only when someone gets into trouble in Thailand that it's possible ones history might be revealed. As for this guy the police charge is nothing. It won't even go to court. However his real concern is that he has a 5 year jail time record. Very possible deported. 

Just to add regarding some above posts regarding suppressive laws in Thailand regarding writing several negative reviews, google similar cases in Australia. I would assume similar in many western countries.

21 hours ago, misterjames said:

Seems like the hotel owner is one of those "I know the cops" types that tried to silence the man for leaving a review but now that the news has spread to the world newspapers he realises he could be about to lose face and business I mean who wants to stay somewhere where you can't leave your honest opinion on tripadvisor for fear of going to jail?

Was it an honest opinion?

• Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

Farang's cannot make too much noise here - even Thais can't - the culture does not allow free expression.

He did not make ONE review. He had intention to harm someone's business.

His criminal (not minor) record has now been revealed. Time for pack bags to USA.

Clearly not sharpest tool in the shed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I read a lot about this story and i made my opinion.

The only thing that I missing is if he comes back in USA he will go in jail for what he does in 2017?

If yes, my opinion of this man go to level 0

Edited by alecranb
  • Like 1

The criminal defamation law badly needs amending or abolishing. It is so easily abused. If you file just a civil case - no jail time involved - you take the risk of paying both sides’ costs if you lose. But in Thailand there is zero risk to filing a criminal defamation case /2d
·
32m

/2 yet there are huge costs to the defendant even if they win. They cannot recoup financial losses, and their lives are turned upside down as criminal defendants in cases that sometimes last years, often in courts far from their homes. Defamation needs to be solely a civil matter

Richard Barrow in Thailand 

@RichardBarrow
· 1h
It’s good the bad review story has been on the front pages for three days as this is not an isolated incident. Speaking to diplomats, they said their citizens also had problems after posting negative restaurant reviews. They’re now considering updating travel advice for Thailand.
Edited by anchadian
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, mr mr said:

i am 100 % sure mr barnes is totally without any fault..... right mr barnes ? 

Mr Barnes should have the right to bring in as much beer as he wishes without having a corking fee... especially in these days where getting anyone to stay in one's hotel must be quite difficult indeed. On this one... 100% on Barne's side. If anyone tried to get me to pay a corking fee to fill my fridge in a hotel where I am staying they would get the middle finger salute. What's next? A corking fee for bottled water?

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes to damage the hotel because he was a cheapskate. If you have to pay corkage then either you pay it or you move on. You don't go on a rampage trying to do most damage to a hotel. That is just vindictive and shows evil intent. 

No respect for people like that. In the end the hotel did the only thing they could and get him arrested. Not the best way but given that he was still posting bad stuff and not responding to the request to stop there was no other way.

Though ignoring might have been better it still sucks when idiots like this want to destroy your business because they dont like the rules.

If you can't pay the price of alcoholic drinks then don't bring your own and refuse to pay a fee, or go to a place where they dont mind. 

i assume. you.wasn,t present when this incident occured,so can only guess you,ve had an interest in such an establishment,a greasy spoon perhaps that led you to post such a vindictive summary.

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Think he entered on tourist visa or visa exempt. Police check not required. It's only when someone gets into trouble in Thailand that it's possible ones history might be revealed. As for this guy the police charge is nothing. It won't even go to court. However his real concern is that he has a 5 year jail time record. Very possible deported. 

Just to add regarding some above posts regarding suppressive laws in Thailand regarding writing several negative reviews, google similar cases in Australia. I would assume similar in many western countries.

I used to need a Police "certificate of good character" from Bangkok after a long stay here, before I could start work in the UK. I am just surprised that he is able to find employment as a teacher here without something similar from his home country. 

(I was not querying how he entered the country without a check.) 

Edited by rott
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I think the owner has had a serious talking to by those way above his pay grade about how the customer is alway right.

East Euro right... not often the most pleasant types....

• Haha 1