SURVEY: Majority of Thais don’t want foreign tourist – do you agree?

Scott

Majority of Thais don’t want foreign tourist – do you agree?  

359 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Judging from the BKKPOST /Pattaya one news. Thailand has more deaths on the road with cars,motorbikes and buses/train than the paranoid covid nasty farangs.  Add in the suicides, domestic violence.  Thais throw stones from their non tourist friendly  glass home

• Like 1

This is exactly why there is no consensus regarding how the handle the economic devastation caused by government's response to Covid.

So governments responses globally range from Australia's dictatorial totalitarian response to Sweden's hands-off approach to Thailand's "We're Covid-Free So Lock The Borders" approach. And the public?  As equally as divided.  Including Thai Visa members.  Wow.  And therein, a picture is worth a thousand words.

2011811657_Screenshotfrom2020-10-1114-49-24.png.fc54d5a4ac501428f15b662b9af246d2.png

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, EricTh said:

If Donald Trump at age 75 can recover from the virus, I don't see the fear of contracting the virus. //

It's out of subject, but you really think that you will be able to get the special drugs and treatments that he just got?

23 minutes ago, EricTh said:

// The only virus test is to test them abroad before they board the plane.
I am sure Thai embassies should have the facility to do so and charge the applicant. //

You realize that some people would have to travel hundreds or thousands kilometers (!) just for a 2-minutes PCR test in an embassy !!!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

I understand the different ideas on this, all have SOME merits. Up here in Isaan to be honest it has made little difference, as tourism was never big. But of course, a fair number used to work in tourism on the coast, and now have lost those jobs - now either working locally or back on the farm watching the rice grow. I feared an increase in crime but not obvious yet.

Long term closed borders will be counter productive, as tourism will have seen an extinction level event! Vaccine? No one knows if it will be effective enough to avoid epidemics, you can keep closed until available and hope it will work, but if it doesn't, your options are North Korea or telling your population to take the hit - neither will be popular.

The younger ones will say get on with opening up, but senior citizens will not be so keen - and many of them have more influence.

• Like 1

With only ( .03 ) percent tested in Thailand for the virus, I could say no one knows how many cases of the virus are here. Temperature checks does not tell if one has the virus or not. Most people in Thailand assume they just have the flu when they come down with the virus. So with very little testing I can guess this is the way the tourist will be tested if or when they start arriving very few. 

Stop believe in polls in Thailand. People don't have a clue what the questions are about and answer something they think is a correct. And,If you ask a person living in Phuket, he/she will answer totally different than a person living in Pattaya/Jomtien. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The thing that matters most to me is whether they will continue to be hospitable to the large number of long-stay retirees, especially those unmarried.  We seem to have a low priority for re-admission to the country at the moment.
I have heard some Thai say that they could do with a much lower number of tourists in the future.

I'm quite sure some of you will wish the gates were not opened if you have record numbers like my area in Utah does now. 

Not sure how many of you depend on going to the hospital on a regular basis but you sure won't want to risk that when the hospitals are having at over capacity levels of sick people with covid.  I say let the current visa holders in first  and those with children and wives,, with 14 day quarantine .  Not at home quarantine because getting there by a super spreader could be devastating.  Just plan to wait 6 Months to see how the World is doing and if a vaccine arrives and works.   Best to keep this engine running on 3 cylinders than risk a breakdown.   I feel Thailand's mass tourism was bad for the country.   Sorry but tourist workers need to do something else.  Maybe start by cleaning up  everywhere.  

Edited by Elkski
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just my 2 cents : at the moment in Europe we have a casedemic instead of a pandemic, if you look at germany there are about 10 people per day dying "from covid" or more correctly, there are 10 people per day dying that have covid as part of a whole range of problems with their health. If covid is the cause of death or just adds to it, we don't know.

But even if we keep the number at 10 per day that is still a lot less than an active flu and for Thailand ; 6x less than the number of people that die each day on motorbikes.

So if Thailand can keep the virus under relative control as germany can, we can expect about 6 deaths per day here as Thailand has substantially less inhabitants than germany . 

I think this number is actually be a positive result compared to the excess deaths we have now due to the economic situation and additional suicides. 

I say open the borders, do a check inside Europe and one more here and that's it. Again, talking about europe, for our American friends the story is a little different sadly.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, natway09 said:

I cannot understand how anyone could possibly vote for the last option.

The ramifications of open slather tourism at this time could spell disaster & would in the long run be more doom & gloom for this sector

for much longer in the futurs,

I am personally affected in business & feel sorry for this sector's staff & those with huge investments sitting idle

but anyone saying that Thailand will sink without tourism is talking absolute rubbish. Change many tourist places, yes,

sink the economy ,,,,your dreaming

There are a lot of people who feel the rules don't apply to them and they think the virus is a minor problem. The real lockdown here was an economic disaster. Now things run ok besides the tourist industry. Better then during a lockdown. That is a real economic killer. 

A lockdown is what would happen if we let people in who have covid. But those people who moan only think about themselves. They don't seem to understand how damaging the lockdown was.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, robblok said:

You can get in if you have a wife, you can come in if you have property. Not sure what your moaning on about. As long as people go into quarantine there is nothing wrong. 

All i want and the majority of Thais want is to keep covid out. Yes that makes things hard for some people but that is just how things are. 

Not sure what your problem is people who really want to come can. Its just more expensive and time consuming. 

You was to check your facts jack re everyone can get in if they want and irrespective of that show some humility to those who are struggling at this time.

Your posts continuously stink of oneupmanship and whilst it sits well with the “female” Thai you suck up to it is unnecessary and offensive to those who have genuine concerns and struggling to return. 

As for speaking for the majority of Thais I am still waiting for those “multiple poll” links you were previously gonna post that showed this. 

Still too busy? Or more bull?

Edited by Kadilo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

You was to check your facts jack re everyone can get in if they want and irrespective of that show some humility to those who are struggling at this time.

Your posts continuously stink of oneupmanship and whilst it sits well with the “female” Thai you suck up to it is unnecessary for those who have genuine concerns and struggling to return. 

As for speaking for the majority of Thais I am still waiting for those “multiple poll” links you were previously gonna post that showed this. 

Still too busy? Or more bull?

I showed you links in the topic.. so have fun. Multiple polls and protests against opening up.

So tell me what is your problem why can't you get in. 

There are some people struggling to get in but not those married, not those with property (read the news). Also people like me with elite visa can get in. I did not go out on purpose as i saw this coming. Some people took the risk.

We all have to live with the decisions we made those who went out have to live with theirs. 

I voted option 3 just for the record, IMHO everyone who goes through the quarantine should be allowed in. I just don't believe in opening up without the quarantine. 

Just now, transam said:

How can they say, "The majority of Thais", in a headline, unless they actually ask the majority of Thais...????

Maybe you should study statistics. The sample size is correct. Its a science you don't need to poll everyone to know what the people want. That is as long as you poll a good diverse section of the population. That is what i mean Trans you make remarks without having a clue about the science behind it.

http://www.tools4dev.org/resources/how-to-choose-a-sample-size/#:~:text=A good maximum sample size,%2C 10% would be 500.

7 minutes ago, Knocker33 said:

Another total b@llox survey. How many is most. Did they ask 45 million or just the usual few rich bkk Thais. 

Study statistics and learn something. You don't need a huge sample size. Just a diverse one.

Yes, I agree; majority of Thais don't want foreign tourists. Perhaps, they could close down the surplus hotels and tour companies. (Domestic tourism won't require as many as there are now.)

Unemployed Thais should be offered manual jobs in construction and agriculture. Perhaps, they could re-model places like Pattaya, Patong, Chaweng, Lamai, Khao Lak, etc., to be fishing villages again.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Kadilo said:

One poll of 1300 people, where 57% say no is hardly an overwhelming game changer, particularly if those asked have not been affected yet by the effects on the tourism sector. 

The country is in a Spiralling financial mess with job losses piling up. 

Clearly they “seem” to want to get people back, hence their hare brained schemes they have announced which are changing by the day, so they recognise how important tourism is to them. 

Their problem is they have spread paranoia amongst the country and can’t just open up and lose face, and can’t stay closed forever and end up in a deeper mess. So they need a compromise that allows tourism back whilst retaining some kind of Face saving control. What they have proposed won’t facilitate that. 

Any returnees apart from a relatively few desperate love sick foreigners will  not jump through the hoops they have announced. Nor will any Tourists be tempted to holiday here and be caged up for two weeks. So they have a dilemma. 

Testing prior to travelling and on arrival seems fair. Those with families and homes should be allowed to self isolate there. 

Anyone with an existing Visa or property owners should be allowed back, you have insulted them enough already with your ridiculous proposals. 

*waits for the inevitable  “I’m alright jack, life’s here never been so good without all the tourists” posts from the usual suspects. 

There is only a 21% of the people that want to open the country without restrictions. So yea that means the majority don't want tourist into the country without quarantine / strict measures. Just 21% thinks the way you think opening up without rules.

There is an on +/- 20% that does want to open up with with restrictions (think quarantine). 

Actually that poll pretty much mirrors a bit what this poll does. Most people don't want the borders to open without quarantine. 

Just now, Kadilo said:

You did so such and you know it. 

You provided one link to a newspaper article which had a paragraph suggesting why you say. 

You  were “too busy” to find the multiple links you kept quoting so quit with the lies unless you would rather I post what you said ?

No i gave you one link to an other poll and a newspaper that said what i looked for so that is two polls. Will look for more. 

• Haha 1