Wake up stiff every morning?

Surelynot

23 hours ago, ezzra said:

Oh sorry, i thought it was a post about different kind of stiff, you know, the good kind...

Yes, if I have to pee, often I am stiff.

Why not cut back on your exercise as you age? Or change what you do? Definitely don't eliminate exercise. Be realistic. I have lowered the weights I lift a bit. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

The bed seems okay, but I do like the idea of a board to stiffen it up as I am too mean to buy a new bed or mattress.

Try a natural latex topper - say 3" thickness. Not expensive, and readily available in Thailand. Can be ordered online. 

I'd also suggest turning over/flipping & rotating your mattress every month or so.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Berkshire said:

I think it's just the age.  I'm not even 60 yet (close), but I struggle each morning just to put on my underwear!  But once I'm up, it's fine.  I too workout regularly and I'm quite fit.  The only advice I'd give is take it easy on the running.  I do run, but not every day.  Even Tiger Woods said his biggest regret is running too much in his younger days. 

If you're fine when you go to sleep and have problems in the morning, I think you need a new bed.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You wouldn't believe how many Thais around me are growing it.

I'm sure if you look around you while you are out walking or cycling in the countryside you''l see a 'source'.

I often take walks in our Tambon which is surrounded on three sides by a National Park and think - "Johnny Apple seed had a hell of an idea."  ????

Edited by connda

19 hours ago, rumak said:

I got a firmer girlfriend .......same result

I like my mattress and pillows firm and my women soft and cushy.  If you have that combination then you'll get all the exercise and stretching that you need at your age!  But if you're into yoga it gives new meaning to positions like The Plough and Standing Forward Bend, and as an Iyengar practitioner I've always enjoyed using props.  :wink:

• Haha 1

Can't offer a solution for the aching joints but I can for the aching muscles, but you MUST have a bath tub for this to work.

OK around 1 1/2 hours before you go to bed, after exercising, run a bath as hot as you can stand, pour 1 cup of white vinegar in and mix it into the hot water. Get in and soak your entire body until the water is only lukewarm. The acid in the white vinegar is a natural muscle relaxant. When you get out of the bath, you will most likely be a little bit wobbly on your feet. Jump in the shower and rinse off the vinegar, then just lay down and relax for around 1 hour before going to bed. When you wake the next day no muscle aches whatsoever.  BTW when I was told about this remedy I laughed at the chap who told me ( an old football (round ball not cross country wrestling ) referee. The thing that convinced me to try it was that he said that the baths the pro footballers got into after their match was 1/3 white vinegar. It worked like a dream. Every person I've mentioned this to, reacted the same as I did, but they all said it worked a treat. Better than epsom salts in the bath.

On 10/15/2020 at 11:53 AM, Surelynot said:

Looking for suggestions as to any remedies........other than not exercising.

Well it probably is the exercising that is causing the joint stiffness do you stretch before and after EACH exercise? thats a lot of exercise you could be doing more harm than good.    

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Logosone said:

Cut out the high impact sports like racket sports. Terrible for joints.

Do yoga instead.

I know...but I hate training...love competitive sport. If I stop playing squash and badminton I will feel the need to train even more!!!

41 minutes ago, TigerandDog said:

Can't offer a solution for the aching joints but I can for the aching muscles, but you MUST have a bath tub for this to work.

OK around 1 1/2 hours before you go to bed, after exercising, run a bath as hot as you can stand, pour 1 cup of white vinegar in and mix it into the hot water. Get in and soak your entire body until the water is only lukewarm. The acid in the white vinegar is a natural muscle relaxant. When you get out of the bath, you will most likely be a little bit wobbly on your feet. Jump in the shower and rinse off the vinegar, then just lay down and relax for around 1 hour before going to bed. When you wake the next day no muscle aches whatsoever.  BTW when I was told about this remedy I laughed at the chap who told me ( an old football (round ball not cross country wrestling ) referee. The thing that convinced me to try it was that he said that the baths the pro footballers got into after their match was 1/3 white vinegar. It worked like a dream. Every person I've mentioned this to, reacted the same as I did, but they all said it worked a treat. Better than epsom salts in the bath.

No bath!!!! I remember my mother always added salt to our bath water as kids and said it was for our muscles....old wives' tale??

Edited by Surelynot

On 10/15/2020 at 12:22 PM, audaciousnomad said:

It will work. I was a certified USA Triathlon coach in a previous life. ????

Really. We may have well crossed paths.

Have you ever read a book? "The physiological and psychological considerations of training national standard swimmers."

Lots of interesting stuff in there.

On 10/15/2020 at 2:11 PM, bkk6060 said:

I bet it is your mattress.

I had similar issues and got a firmer mattress wake up now no aches or pains feeling like a 20 year old.

It's just the opposite with me! My bed was too hard and sleeping in my normal positions on my sides was creating pressure points on my hips and shoulders which resulted in horrible pains the next day. I bought two 3 inch latex toppers, and now it feels like I'm sleeping on a cloud and the pains have mostly disappeared. It also helps to get an ergonomic pillow that will keep your neck and spinal cord aligned during sleep. 

I'm 72 and used to do a brisk walk every evening equivalent to around 3 miles, but now I'm down to 1/2 mile every two days because of the stress on my musculoskeletal system. I gave up running years ago because of the pain. I can't even run on a treadmill. 

Another problem is constipation as we age. I used to have a bowel movement at least every day, but now it's every 2-3 days, and it's like trying to poop a basketball. If I strain and squeeze too much then it affects my entire upper musculoskeletal system to the top of my head, and the next day the pain is significant. After three days I can tell that the toxins in my bowel are being released and that too has an effect on my pain levels. 

Foods, especially various cooking oils, will affect pain levels too, so Google that and stay away from the bad oils and foods that affect osteoarthritis. 

If you're taking Ibuprofen or any other NSAIDS be very careful not to overdo it and keep an eye on your blood pressure. This class of pain killers is very bad for the heart and is guaranteed to raise blood pressure. It put me in the cardiac care unit for one night with an episode of atrial flutter which could have resulted in a blood clot in the heart leading to a stroke. I know now that the reason I couldn't control the BP was due to the constant use of NSAIDS for body pains. 

If you're like me it's hard to understand why our bodies can't endure exercise like they could when we were younger. Our bodies are wearing out and I promise you it won't get any better as you age, so accept it, move on and be good to your body.  

look at Tumeric. I just mix it with water and down it.  Also I'm on Keto now and almost right away my knee pain largely went away. I think it's due to no sugar mainly, and a bit to no processed foods that are high in carbs. I was a big snack eater. 

Edited by Tango777
  • Thanks 1

look at Tumeric. I just mix it with water and down it. Also I'm on Keto now and almost right away my knee pain largely went away. I think it's due to no sugar mainly, and a bit to no processed foods that are high in carbs. I was a big snack eater. I've lost 9 LB's in 10 days. 209 to 200. 

• Like 1

Do you eat a lot of Chicken ?  Apparently there's some additive in the chicken feed that casues joint stiffness and/or pain.  Others will know what this additive is.  I know some Thais who avoid chicken at all costs in favour of pork or other meats.

19 hours ago, Postmaster said:

Do you eat a lot of Chicken ?  Apparently there's some additive in the chicken feed that casues joint stiffness and/or pain.  Others will know what this additive is.  I know some Thais who avoid chicken at all costs in favour of pork or other meats.

No.....I have the occasional Panang Gai......but not really a meat eater