Position of new immigration minister regards foreigners living in Thailand on ret visas .

21 hours ago, tso310 said:

NON-O is issued by the Immigration Department and they have the authority to turn that into an annual immigration visa. //

Uh?

No. Non-O Visa are issued by Thai embassies or consulates worldwide. Same as for most (all?) visas. Visas depends on MFA.

Immigration doesn't issue visa but  can "convert" your current visa (or visa-exemption) into a Non-O in the only case where you are asking for a yearly extension and match requirements for it.

9 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

There's hardly a hotel in the world that'll let you in without ID.

Plenty in Thailand that have let me in without it when my GF proffers her Thai ID, although that may be splitting hairs. For all they know, I could be Jack the Ripper or Ted Bundy.

If the new minister is xenophobic, prepare for a stricter requirement and closing of loopholes.

After all, the 800k baht could be raised to 1 million baht to include inflation after all these years.

Another would be abolishment of combination method as that is a loophole too.

52 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

And expats should be treated with far greater respect and dignity. They need us more now, than ever. 

Need us, treat us with far greater respect and dignity, um, before they can reach that level, they will first have to look at their own and that ain't going to be happening for a long time, i.e. unless the student protests get greater support from others to join in on changing the shape of Thailand. Unfortunately to change a country such as Thailand, the military needs to get involved and I can't see that happening because the way things are, the boys are getting looked after in just about every sector of Thailand, except for Big Joke that is, who of course went against the grain.

The attitude of many Thais to us, retired, is hat we can be tolerated, so long as we keep quiet and  do not cause trouble.  In official Thai eyes  we do not rate as highly as occasional tourist who come for 2 weeks and spend more money, fall for more scams, etc. thus enriching more Thais.

So we do not rank highly in any schemes to open the country.  

I am stuck in UK, having made the mistake of thinking that Covid was on the decline last July, and the world would soon open up.

I could come back if I was prepared to jump through all the hoops that Thailand has set up.

Now here is an idea for Thailand:-  cash in on all these expats wanting to come back.  set up a straight forward scheme where we pay Thai government a single payment to be allowed back to our homes.  Get a Covid test before leaving home country and have to spend 1 day quarantine i out own home with local medical supervision, and then back to life as it was.  

I am sure if a certain former PM was still in power, he would have set this up long ago

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/22/2020 at 5:20 PM, Crossy said:

I guess that guy's success story is due to that many customers pretended  they bought those balls for their dogs.

Could become an amazing business, here in Thailand, too.

On 10/22/2020 at 3:23 PM, jacko45k said:

Nobody here has crystal balls......

Mine are quite sparkly and kind of round.

They look very clear and can tell me what the future is when a pair of hands starts caresses the roundness of them.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Hopefully this guy is less xenophobic than his predecessors. The money Thailand takes in from expats annually reverberates out in countless ways. Even the rural folks benefit. Alot of the nicer houses in the poorer farming areas were built with money from expats. Alot of trucks, cars and income is from expats. Countless business employing many. To say it is insignificant, is a blatant misunderstanding of Thai economics. Thousands of hotels, restaurants, countless airlines and many tour companies, also benefit. This hapless administration needs to develop some courage and initiative. They can't hide from the world forever. Extreme timidity from supposedly tough men is an amusing thing to witness. However, the pain they are inflicting on millions is not. 

And expats should be treated with far greater respect and dignity. They need us more now, than ever. 

They have already told us how much they "need" us.. The ball is in our court.. Those of us who can....will leave.

On 10/22/2020 at 8:12 PM, ThailandRyan said:

I sure hope not, when they bang together when you run they would shatter.  Now Steels balls would be better, but the so is a Magic 8 ball.

You won't think steel balls are so great should you walk to close to one of those junk-yard magnetic cranes.....

On 10/23/2020 at 12:44 PM, Andrew234 said:

People aren't even sure of their own disposition ie how they would react under certain circumstances, let alone somebody else's.

Exactly. I don't understand how the OP would 'prepare '  for an unknown. 

1 hour ago, KhunFred said:

They have already told us how much they "need" us.. The ball is in our court.. Those of us who can....will leave.

Pretty broad statement there Fred. 

I could leave but am not even thinking about it. Surely I'm not alone in that. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Even the rural folks benefit. Alot of the nicer houses in the poorer farming areas were built with money from expats. Alot of trucks, cars and income is from expats.

All true but let me ask you a question. Do you think this phenomenon whereby previously poor uneducated and - crucially -  deferential people get ideas above their station is welcome or repellent to the Bangkok establishment who decide on policy?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jayboy said:

OK that's how you take care of your wife but how do you deal with those pesky DIY jobs?

Duct tape works for most of those. Not so good for pipe leaks but it works for a few days and I don't need the ball-gag for them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dddave said:

Good, as long as you don't mind them turning green.

Simply a matter of keeping them polished my friend, and I have somebody that is highly skilled at that fortunately.????

Besides that it makes for interesting pillow talk. Some ladies like scars too. Everybody is kinky, some just haven't found their kink yet!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jayboy said:

All true but let me ask you a question. Do you think this phenomenon whereby previously poor uneducated and - crucially -  deferential people get ideas above their station is welcome or repellent to the Bangkok establishment who decide on policy?

Utterly repellent, of course. Any disturbance to the status quo, is strictly discouraged, and forbidden. Do not rock the boat, or disturb the gravy train. I think some Thais resent us deeply, for giving our women a widened point of view. An open mind can be a dangerous thing!

• Thanks 1