Pattaya bursting: Upbeat report shows crowds visiting for long weekend

rooster59

21 hours ago, Henryford said:

I had a walk around on Thursday evening. Pattaya is deader than a ghost town. At least a ghost town has some ghosts.

I did similar on Wednesday.... quite a few night venues were doing okay. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I can vouch for the OP, went to Pattaya beach road last night for the food festival, really busy. The landscape is really changing, its becoming a busy weekend destination for Thais

I agree.  North Pattaya Beach was very lively last night with lots of people out and about.  Lots of room lights on in all the big and some of the smaller hotels and I noticed Holiday Inn had lights on in  the back wing.   Nice to see all the activity and people on the beach.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I don't wish to be negative, but if Pattaya is bursting with locals streaming out of neighbouring towns then surely that means a loss of revenue from where they came from.... where's the net gain?

You mean they live in hotels at home, checked out if those into pattaya hotels, so no loss of revenue???

Not sure what school of economics you subscribe to...

• Like 1

On 10/24/2020 at 10:44 AM, Peterw42 said:

I can vouch for the OP, went to Pattaya beach road last night for the food festival, really busy. The landscape is really changing, its becoming a busy weekend destination for Thais

Yes your a older mature man. You can't have the slightest idea about Pattaya and the huge loss family's are taking. I speak full Thai trained in Thai boxing camps. 

This is rubbish news. A insult to Thai family's. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, newnative said:

I agree.  North Pattaya Beach was very lively last night with lots of people out and about.  Lots of room lights on in all the big and some of the smaller hotels and I noticed Holiday Inn had lights on in  the back wing.   Nice to see all the activity and people on the beach.  

Yes lots of old people 

• Haha 1

On 10/24/2020 at 11:02 AM, Henryford said:

I had a walk around on Thursday evening. Pattaya is deader than a ghost town. At least a ghost town has some ghosts.

Yes cheap Charlie Thais. And old farangs. How much money do they give to Thai family ????????????

On 10/24/2020 at 12:43 PM, khunpa said:

Good to hear. So no need to get more infected foreign tourist in and no reason for the industry to keep whining.

I have also heard that Thais spend huge amounts of money, when on holiday. Maybe time for the bar and disco owners to think creative. Like they could turn their locations into food courts.

Anyway, great that tourism is back and boosting. Good luck!

You are a funny man

On 10/24/2020 at 12:25 PM, patman30 said:

you just showing off
we always take some papaya, lime, chillies and tomato from the garden before we make our way to somewhere where we need a hotel

Luxury.

We take one lime from the garden and make it last for the trip.

• Haha 1

A bunch of us (about 18 including wives and kids) went camping at EOD Beach in Sattahip on Friday and even though we arrived in the early afternoon, the place was packed full of people (and I was probably the only foreigner there).

We were there for less than a day and probably didn't spend a whole lot, all things considered. 200 baht per tent, plus all the seafood from the market in Sattahip, plus all the other food and drinks (and charcoal and ice, etc, etc). Booze was probably the biggest expense but I think the total (per person) for everything only came to around 800 baht each (for the guys).

A few of us rode down on our scooters just for the fun of it. Fueled up at the start and again just before getting home. 32 baht for gas. 
We had a couple of trucks along as well. I swear we had as much junk in them for a 1 day camping trip as we did for the 6 day trip around North-East Thailand that we did a couple weeks ago ! And we had more people on that trip !

So domestic tourism is alive and well, just as it has been long before the covid crisis. Too many people have this weird idea that Thailand relies entirely on the tourism trade and can't figure out how the country hasn't totally collapsed since all the foreign tourists were banned. Yeah, the loss of international tourism income hurts, and certain sectors of the economy suffer more than others, but it's not enough to cause the whole country to collapse.

It's like they have NO idea that tourism (domestic and international) only accounts for 16-20% of the GDP and they can't get it through their heads that the other 80-84% of the GDP has continued working pretty much as it did before the tourists stopped coming so they are still earning salaries and getting holidays.

Of course, then there are the "pensioners" who think that the 3-4,000 baht a month they contribute to the economy is what really keeps Thailand (and especially Isaan) from going bankrupt. Oh I know, they say they are all spending 65,000 per month, even as they scour the Visa pages looking for ways to scam around having to prove they have any income at all.

And even if they were actually spending that much, it would be a literal "drop in the bucket" compared to how much revenue domestic tourism adds to the economy. (I think I just heard about 50,000 balloons being deflated as certain people realize that they are not the sole reason Thailand hasn't gone bankrupt and maybe are realizing that the entire economy of their local village also doesn't revolve around them.)

Domestic tourism won't make up for the shortfall from the loss of international tourism income, but it can ease the burden. Local Thais may not spend quite like the "farangs" used to back in the heyday, but they probably (per person) spend as much or more than most of the Indians and Chinese.
(Yes, I know. SOME of the Indians and Chinese spend a lot of money in the high-end shops in Bangkok. However, they represent a minority of the total numbers coming to Thailand. Just like the Arabs. The ones hanging out in the bars in behind the Marine Plaza hotel aren't spending thousands of dollars a day on hotels and high-end shopping sprees like some of their cousins do in Bangkok).

I think the reason people are noticing (and mentioning) "all the Thais" is because without the foreign tourists, the "domestic" tourists are more noticeable. A year ago, when the place was full (sort of) of foreigners, no one really noticed all the "Thai tourists" that were also here.

I remember not that long ago that every time there was a holiday weekend, by early Friday afternoon the highways leading to Pattaya (or Phattaya or Patthaya depending on which highway sign you last noticed) would be jammed by early Friday afternoon and you can bet that wasn't all "foreign tourists". The same highways would be jammed again on the way "out" of the city on the last afternoon of the holiday as well as all the Thais went back to Bangkok (or wherever).

But most of you wouldn't have noticed because you were too busy guarding your favourite barstool in your favourite bar because you were worried if you got up for a <deleted>, some other <deleted> a bit younger and skinnier than you would try to steal your seat.

But now, without that worry, you have the luxury of looking around and noticing that the world (in Thailand) doesn't entirely revolve around foreigners (and fat, old white guys in particular).

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, tomauasia said:

Yes lots of old people 

Actually, lots of Thais, of all ages.  It's true if you go to the beach during the hottest, sunniest part of the day you will see fewer Thais on the beach.  (And, fewer sightings of me.)  I see them out on the beach in the early morning, sitting in the shade of the highrise beachfront hotels.  When the shade leaves, so do they.  But, they're back out in large numbers late in the afternoon and early evening, once the sun is about to go down.

9 minutes ago, newnative said:

Actually, lots of Thais, of all ages.  It's true if you go to the beach during the hottest, sunniest part of the day you will see fewer Thais on the beach.  (And, fewer sightings of me.)  I see them out on the beach in the early morning, sitting in the shade of the highrise beachfront hotels.  When the shade leaves, so do they.  But, they're back out in large numbers late in the afternoon and early evening, once the sun is about to go down.

Very True. Even in my village pool its empty at lunchtime but by 5.30 its busy.

"Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun".

• Like 2

Most weekends it has not been packed with people not even close.

As far as the crowded bars comments I can only assume you are not here.

I would say easy 50% are closed maybe for good take a ride down Soi 7 and 8, beach rd. 2nd roads, etc.

If a person hangs around Tree Town its seems crowded which is a minimal example.

Edited by bkk6060

7 minutes ago, Clarkey611 said:

Did you stand out like a sore thumb?

Not really, but when the ladies that collect the fees came around, the older of them noted "neung farang by doi". I laughed and replied "neung farang khon diow" and she seemed taken back a bit by the fact I understood her and replied in Thai. 
(Even if I didn't pronounce it perfectly.) 

A few other people did take note. I guess it's not that common to see a "white guy" camping out like the locals. Sort of like back in Canada where I grew up "in the boonies". 75kms from the nearest highway and 45 of those kms are gravel logging roads. A remote place that used to be as far "off the grid" as you could get without going full uni-bomber.

Then suddenly one day, an RV shows up in Alfie's field and the locals didn't know what to do, seeing as the family in the RV were Indians (or Pakistanis). No one had ever seen any (turban wearers) there before, let alone setting up camp in someone's hay field.

(I went over and politely introduced myself and let them know they were on someone's property, then gave them directions to one of the nearby public campgrounds.)

It's kind of like the reaction I get when I roll up to an ancient historical site out in the middle of nowhere. At first everyone is looking at the "chopper", then I take the helmet off and they see a white dude (sweating like a pig on a spit). White dude on a Harley at an ancient Khmer temple site ? What is the world coming to ?? Quick, what is the license plate number and where is the closest lottery ticket seller !!!! :w00t:

And most Thais I know wouldn't bother going into a "beer bar" like the kind that cater to foreigners here in Pattaya. They are more likely to drink in a restaurant, karaoke bar, by the beach or in a park. In the last year I've gone on 10 or so trips with Thai friends ranging from 2-6 days and we have never gone to a "bar". (Not even a karaoke actually.) We've drank at hotels, resorts, campgrounds, beaches and restaurants but never in "bars".

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Most weekends it has not been packed with people not even close.

As far as the crowded bars comments I can only assume you are not here.

I would say easy 50% are closed maybe for good take a ride down Soi 7 and 8, beach rd. 2nd roads, etc.

If a person hangs around Tree Town its seems crowded which is a minimal example.

But many bars still do business as usual. I even see balloon parties. The only unusual thing is that there are almost no customers. There are exceptions - mostly depending on the booze prices. Why should you pay 60 Baht for a beer if you can get it for 50 or 40. And there are also these miracle bars. They had no customers even before Corona and are still open every night. 

20 minutes ago, polpott said:

When having a family night out (whiskey and beer for the men) the majority of Thais I know seem to favour moo kata restaurants.

yep..... a not so polite phrase is  "moo gin moo"  .       definitely a reference to the size of the patron

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, tomauasia said:

I lived in Pattaya 7 years. You are dreaming .they come in the family pickup ????. They eat and leave the 7 eleven rubbish on the beach them leave. Fantasy land.

And, when were those 7 years?  Any time recently?  I invite you back some holiday weekend to take a look at the north Pattaya Beach area--which has been totally transformed in the last few years, along with the beach.  We have no international tourists right now yet on holiday weekends, and to a lesser extent regular weekends,  the large hotels in north Pattaya Beach are mostly booked.  Dusit, Cape Dara, Mytt, Mercure, Amari, Holiday Inn, Ozo, A-01, Grande Centre Point, Siam@Siam, and others, plus some of the smaller hotels.  Who is filling all those rooms?   Mostly domestic Thai tourists.  Sure, we still get your Thais 'in the family pickup' coming to the beach for the day--and, happy to have them--but they are not the ones keeping the hotels open.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, tomauasia said:

I lived in Pattaya 7 years. You are dreaming .they come in the family pickup ????. They eat and leave the 7 eleven rubbish on the beach them leave. Fantasy land.

I disagree.  

With the aid of government subsidiaries, Pattaya is attracting high end domestic Thai tourists.  ????

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

I disagree.  

With the aid of government subsidiaries, Pattaya is attracting high end domestic Thai tourists.  ????

Dreamer lol. Go ask the buiness that are closed. Do you speak Thai. How long have you lived in Pattaya. You know 0 about Thai culture or Pattaya. When you know chime in. 

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The OP is about lots of Thais visiting Pattaya this long weekend, I went out Friday night and saw lots of Thais visiting Pattaya and agree with the OP, even took a video of it.

Why would I have no idea, I live in Pattaya with a huge Thai family, a wife, 3 sister in-laws, a brother in-law,  3 step children and 10 nieces and nephews. 

Im not quiet sure what you speaking Thai or training in boxing camps has to do with lots of people visiting this weekend.

Can confirm this. Was at this Beach Road section in front of the Central Mall yesterday Sunday evening. Many people were on the Beach Road where these stalls were. And a lot were sitting on the Beach despite darkness. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tomauasia said:

Yes I followed one up the railway line bypass rd Sunday.... on the way to the beach. I wondered how many kids are lost on the trip by the way they were jumping around in the back. 

• Haha 1