Trump suggests he might try to fire Fauci post-election

webfact

15 minutes ago, J Town said:

You're wrong. I was a career civil servant and got busted for admitting to growing pot. No physical evidence, just my own stupidity. I was put on what was called "The White Badge" crew where we went out, dug holes then filled them up. Our firings had to go through Congress. You should not speak of things you really don't know about.

What do you mean they had to go through congress? This is nonsense. Congress enacts legislation. It doesn't function as the disciplinarian of the executive branch. Are you claiming that Congressed passed a law that fired you?

Here's an article on how firing a civil service employee works. There's also a link to the US code that governs rating for senior executives like fauci. In both cases it's boards that do the firing.

Wielding The Ax

Government managers can fire federal employees for poor performance or misconduct under Title 5 of the U.S. Code (Chapters 43 and 75). It’s easier to dismiss someone for misbehaving— showing up to work drunk, for example—than it is for mediocre performance, which is subject to interpretation and rarely yields a smoking gun. “It comes down to judgment, so it’s easier to challenge a performance-based action,” says Henry Romero, who was associate director for workforce compensation and performance at OPM during the Clinton administration. 

https://www.govexec.com/magazine/briefing/2012/07/wielding-ax/56558/

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

What do you mean they had to go through congress? This is nonsense. Congress enacts legislation. It doesn't function as the disciplinarian of the executive branch. Are you claiming that Congressed passed a law that fired you?

Here's an article on how firing a civil service employee works. There's also a link to the US code that governs rating for senior executives like fauci. In both cases it's boards that do the firing.

Wielding The Ax

Government managers can fire federal employees for poor performance or misconduct under Title 5 of the U.S. Code (Chapters 43 and 75). It’s easier to dismiss someone for misbehaving— showing up to work drunk, for example—than it is for mediocre performance, which is subject to interpretation and rarely yields a smoking gun. “It comes down to judgment, so it’s easier to challenge a performance-based action,” says Henry Romero, who was associate director for workforce compensation and performance at OPM during the Clinton administration. 

https://www.govexec.com/magazine/briefing/2012/07/wielding-ax/56558/

And I'm telling you I personally went through it. Once you achieve a career status (it goes temp, career conditional, then career) it's virtually impossible to fire an employee. Sure, they pay plenty of lip service and create laws to make it appear easier, but that's not where the rubber meets the road.

For a manager to fire an employee for poor performance takes years - they have to document the performance in an objective manner which in itself is near impossible. Then they have to personally mentor the employee with carefully documented meetings, offering them training to bring them up to speed. This takes MUCH more time than any manager wants to go through, particularly when you get the division steward involved for the protection of the employee. Again, years of a hostile work environment and a lot of wasted time.

The easiest way to remove a career employee is to remove their security clearance. Once it's gone, the employee can't perform their duty and are finally removed. This takes a letter from Congress authorizing the clearance removal and the subsequent firing. Again, I went through this.

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, J Town said:

And I'm telling you I personally went through it. Once you achieve a career status (it goes temp, career conditional, then career) it's virtually impossible to fire an employee. Sure, they pay plenty of lip service and create laws to make it appear easier, but that's not where the rubber meets the road.

For a manager to fire an employee for poor performance takes years - they have to document the performance in an objective manner which in itself is near impossible. Then they have to personally mentor the employee with carefully documented meetings, offering them training to bring them up to speed. This takes MUCH more time than any manager wants to go through, particularly when you get the division steward involved for the protection of the employee. Again, years of a hostile work environment and a lot of wasted time.

The easiest way to remove a career employee is to remove their security clearance. Once it's gone, the employee can't perform their duty and are finally removed. This takes a letter from Congress authorizing the clearance removal and the subsequent firing. Again, I went through this.

So now it's gone from being it takes to Congress to fire an employee to it takes a letter from congress stating that an employee is a security risk to enable the board to fire an employee. And that's the only way it happens? The way it mostly happens? Got any numbers to back that up?

Just now, placeholder said:

So now it's gone from being it takes to Congress to fire an employee to it takes a letter from congress stating that an employee is a security risk to enable the board to fire an employee. And that's the only way it happens? The way it mostly happens? Got any numbers to back that up?

All right, you're not gonna be happy until you win.

You're right, I'm wrong.

Have a nice day.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

He can't fire him from his current job.  He can exclude him from the pandemic task force. Speaking of firing the American people are in the process of firing the worst president in American history. How sweet it is.

Trump is the second worst presidenté in American history. Don't forget Richard Nixon. He set America up for Trump.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I don't agree. Nixon had some kind of a moral compass. 45 has none.

Other than Nixon's sick mind, his Southern Strategy set the Republican Party on the course to where it's now arrived. Meanwhile his China gambit to get reelected sold the World down the river. If the Senate majority goes to Democrats, then there is a good chance of reversing much of the Trump damage.

There is an excellent 4-hour CNN doc on Nixon's life that was broadcast about two years ago. Hopefully it will be available through an online streaming service in the coming year. It reveals a lot.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah but Nixon agreed to resign.

45 is threatening to stay even after.losing.

Nixon was a twisted American. 

45 is our version of Putin,  Erdogan, arguably even Mussolini.

Sorry he's definitely the worst. No contest.

Trump is threatening to stay even if he loses? Honestly, I haven't heard that. Do you have a link to support your claim?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, MajarTheLion said:

Trump is threatening to stay even if he loses? Honestly, I haven't heard that. Do you have a link to support your claim?

Trump says he won’t commit to leaving office if he loses the election because of a “ballot scam”

At a rally in Newport News, Virginia, on Friday night, Trump again refused to say whether he would peacefully transition out of the White House if he loses the presidential election this November, suggesting he would only do so if he was convinced Democrats and their presidential nominee, Joe Biden, did not cheat.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2020/9/26/21457193/trump-leave-office-loses-election-ballot-scam

You gotta get out more.

Because of fair use consideration I only quoted the first paragraph of the article. Trump's words follow.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Nixon agreed to resign.

I cringe as I type this, but a nod here goes to GHW Bush, head of the RNC at the time, who convinced him to step down.  I always wondered just how civil their dialogue was . . .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mvdf said:

With him at the helm, given a choice--

Thai citizenship

or

US citizenship + $100k

I'd choose the Thai passport a thousand times. It's a far more "tremendous" privilege.

Would you also choose the Thai pension over the US pension?

I suspect not.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Yeah but Nixon agreed to resign.

45 is threatening to stay even after.losing.

Nixon was a twisted American. 

45 is our version of Putin,  Erdogan, arguably even Mussolini.

Sorry he's definitely the worst. No contest.

Ultimately history will debate and decide. Nixon didn't have much choice but to resign. Otherwise he would have been ousted AND tried in court and convicted for felonies.

It's true that Trump has severely undermined the US internationally to the point that many countries will wonder whether our word, much less treaty engagements, can be relied on.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 10:44 AM, Chivas said:

Seeing as he's about to get kicked out of the White house its clearly fake news........

Even if he loses the election it'll be some time until the inauguration. During this time a lot of tantrums and ego issues could be addressed.

On 11/3/2020 at 10:34 AM, Lacessit said:

IMO it would be a relief for Fauci, no longer having to keep his mouth shut while Trump does his anti-science BS.

On 11/3/2020 at 12:11 PM, PatOngo said:

Congratulations Dr Fauci, you are better off not working for a buffoon clown like Trump! Hopefully he's gone before you are!

Maybe a relief on a Personal level, but I believe the man got a sense of responsibility, and there's a job needs to be done.

On 11/3/2020 at 6:16 PM, J Town said:

You're wrong. I was a career civil servant and got busted for admitting to growing pot. No physical evidence, just my own stupidity. I was put on what was called "The White Badge" crew where we went out, dug holes then filled them up. Our firings had to go through Congress. You should not speak of things you really don't know about.

Is this anything like Thailand's 'inactive post'?

9 minutes ago, rickudon said:

Well, just more wishful thinking from Trump, to add to the 22,000 lies/untruths/misinformation he has uttered in the last 4 years (yes, someone counted!).

Surprising anyone can keep with the BS Trump sprouts! He's the greatest BS'er in the history of.....well.....history! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Morch said:

Is this anything like Thailand's 'inactive post'?

Yes there is. If an employee becomes persona non grata, the employer can make the position uncomfortable for the employee (assign distasteful tasks), transfer them to a different area/division, or if warranted, remove their security clearance which requires an act of Congress.

In Dr. Fauci's case, there has been NO employee misconduct. Ferchrissake he's the world's leading authority whose only fault was to tell the truth to a dictator wannabe. Just another 45 lie to be thrown on the pile of lies. It's looking like Biden will squeak by with a win so that pile will finally be taken out of the title of "official lies."