Siriraj expects Covid-19 vaccine as early as mid-2021

webfact

Siriraj expects Covid-19 vaccine as early as mid-2021

By The Nation

800_813b6e9bbf1bf88.jpg?v=1604390320

Thailand’s success in controlling the spread of Covid-19 is being threatened by rising cases in neighbouring countries, warned a leading medical scientist on Tuesday.

Both Malaysia and Myanmar are experiencing a surge in infections, noted Dr Prasit Watthana, dean of the Faculty of Medicine, Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University.

Offering a global snapshot of the Covid-19 situation, he said new cases are increasing at a rapid rate of about one million every two days, especially in Europe due to winter since most people stay indoors and do not wear face masks as protection against the virus.

Increased infection rates in places like the US, with 100,000 new cases daily, are also beginning to affect the ability of healthcare facilities to handle patients, he added. He expects total global infections to pass 10 million this week, with the death rate rising in parallel.

In Asia, well-controlled countries like South Korea, Singapore and Australia have relatively low infection rates, but the crisis in Thailand’s neighbours was getting worse, Prasit said.

Cases in Malaysia have surged to 800-900 per day, while Myanmar has seen 8,000 infections in the last 10 days.

On vaccine development, he said 148 trials were being conducted around the world.

Eighty-eight are at the animal-testing stage, 35 are at Phase 1, 14 are at Phase 2, and 11 are at the most advanced Phase 3 of mass human testing,

Prasit said a vaccine is expected to be completed as early as mid-2021, adding that Phase 3 trials had a 50 per cent chance of success.

However, he emphasised that the best protection against Covid-19 was to wear a mask, keep your distance from others, keep hands clean, and avoid social contact where possible.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30397257

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-03

Over 50% of people i see around my Province are not wearing face masks or social distancing so if a second wave does come to Thailand a lot of people are going to get sick and i have absolutely no sympathy 0 for them if it happens .

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

11 hours ago, webfact said:

do not wear face masks as protection against the virus.

We do wear face masks. Without face mask in public (trains, busses ...) we have to pay a fine starting 5000-10000 Baht in Germany

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, lujanit said:

Thailand's Success is due to the fact there is no testing of the general population.  Don't test cannot report.  Why else is there a state of emergency and mandatory wearing of masks?

That has nothing to do with it.  If there was a big infection here, we'd see hospitals overwhelmed.  That's not happening.  And hospitals would easily be overwhelmed here if the virus started to rage.

The worry is bringing in the virus from outside.  They've got air travel covered, but the worry is the borders.  The virus is starting to rage in Myanmar and Malaysia.  They've already found cases at the borders from migrants.  Thus, the state of emergency and the wearing of masks.

17 hours ago, webfact said:

Offering a global snapshot of the Covid-19 situation, he said new cases are increasing at a rapid rate of about one million every two days

He expects total global infections to pass 10 million this week, with the death rate rising in parallel.

Covid-19 vaccine as early as mid-2021

That's too late .

The apocalypse is pre-programmed for April 2021 .

( may be ... ? )

18 hours ago, webfact said:

However, he emphasised that the best protection against Covid-19 was to wear a mask, keep your distance from others, keep hands clean, and avoid social contact where possible.

In my neck of the woods that message seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Almer said:

I read today the Uk are preparing to start vaccination before xmas

Where? Source Please ?
there is a big difference in "believe could be ready" or "it's poossible"

and "preparing to start vaccination"

Ok, i do see some preperation for over 85's and frontline workers
i expect this is just to finish off the old folk
they should not be preparing for anything
if nothing has yet been approved, and nothing is being rushed to cut corners on safety.
unless its all part of script already written

Edited by patman30
  • Confused 1

10 hours ago, lujanit said:

Thailand's Success is due to the fact there is no testing of the general population.  Don't test cannot report.  Why else is there a state of emergency and mandatory wearing of masks?

Who do you suggest be tested? Noone is turning up to hospital sick. Random testing is a waste of money when there are no symptomatic cases turning up at hospital. The few recent cases where mass testing of thousands of people was done turned up ZERO positive cases. Stop spreading misinformation. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeffr2 said:

That has nothing to do with it.  If there was a big infection here, we'd see hospitals overwhelmed.  That's not happening.  And hospitals would easily be overwhelmed here if the virus started to rage.

The worry is bringing in the virus from outside.  They've got air travel covered, but the worry is the borders.  The virus is starting to rage in Myanmar and Malaysia.  They've already found cases at the borders from migrants.  Thus, the state of emergency and the wearing of masks.

It has everything to do with it. 

I and two other exPats had Covid in February and self isolated until we got better. 

I was not going to pay 16,000 baht for a test which was the rate at the time. 

The rate for a Thai to be tested was 8,000, what Thai can afford that. 

Plus the diagnosis is fudged... Remember the guy who had covid but died from respiratory failure. 

Vaccines might end up less effective in certain countries.

A bit off topic i know, but could be important if were relying on vaccines to get us out of this mess.

Here in Denmark it has just been announced that all minks on all 1100 farms throughout the country has to be killed.

A lot of the minks has been tested positive for covid 19 which then mutated and spread back to humans, 

and now that mutation does not react very well when treated with the current anti bodies.

They call it covid 19 version 2.0

I wonder what other countries has animals that can get covid 19 which then mutates and spread back to humans.

Denmark can't be the only country that has that problem.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/03/gps-put-on-standby-as-hopes-grow-for-december-vaccine-rollout-13531032/

GPs put on standby as hopes grow for December vaccine rollout author image Siba JacksonTuesday 3 Nov 2020 11:21 pm

Read more: https://metro.co.uk/2020/11/03/gps-put-on-standby-as-hopes-grow-for-december-vaccine-rollout-13531032/?ito=cbshare

Twitter: https://twitter.com/MetroUK | Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MetroUK/

10 hours ago, patman30 said:

Where? Source Please ?
there is a big difference in "believe could be ready" or "it's poossible"

and "preparing to start vaccination"

Ok, i do see some preperation for over 85's and frontline workers
i expect this is just to finish off the old folk
they should not be preparing for anything
if nothing has yet been approved, and nothing is being rushed to cut corners on safety.
unless its all part of script already written

It was the over 85 i was referring to 

On 11/4/2020 at 10:32 PM, Almer said:

It was the over 85 i was referring to 

yeh i edited my comment after searching
but its blatent BS just like they are already discussing in UK legal way to make vaccines mandatory
by claiming you have mental health issues if you refuse the vaccine
when a vaccine is not even proven to work or be safe
and deaths and sickness during blind trials are yet to be looked at
(even when that is published it is only the manufacturer themselves that state this ????‍♂️)