November 2020 US Social Security Payment Not Received

I have my US Social Security automatically deposited into Bangkok Bank. Since enrolling, it has always showed up in my Bangkok Bank account some time between 2 pm and 4 pm (Bangkok time). Yesterday, according to My Social Security online, my November payment was paid out. But I haven't received it. No notification. And when I called Bangkok Bank today, they did not have a record of it. Did other recipients receive their payment yesterday? 

My SocSec direct deposit to my U.S. account was a few hours late (-er than usual), but still credited on the 3rd.

Assume BBL will clear it this morning?

My self-initiated monthly QFT (ext stay/ret-inc: 65,000) was ~ four hours late yesterday. Normally hits BBL ~ 10:00, SMS came at 14:00.

Edited by mtls2005
51 minutes ago, John Drake said:

Yes, finally got it around 11 am this morning. They managed to get the worst exchange rate possible, less than 31 baht to the dollar. I've never had it be this late before.

The exchange rate was 31.07 yesterday and BKK Bank rate was 30.91.. Seems normal

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, flexomike said:

got mine yesterday but wife was suppose to have gotten her first payment yesterday by IDD, and as of now has still not recieved it, anyone out there getting there payment by IDD, should I be concerned or is IDD always behind ACh

I called Bangkok Bank and ask them why the delay. They told me my direct deposit had been made yesterday at 4:30 pm in NYC. But Bangkok Bank did not transfer money to my account until around 11 am this morning. They had no answer for the delay. In the past the latest I've received the transfer is around 4:30 pm of the day the deposit is made. Somewhere over night I got a horrible exchange rate. Whatever increase in Social Security I get in December seems bound to be lost to the  high baht.

• Like 1

I have friends in Phuket and sometimes they get theirs before me, and sometimes the next day. Bit of a <deleted> shoot.....but as long as it comes. If Trump gets back in he plans to dissolve the whole thing.......hope he disappears into one of his sh*t hole countries.

• Like 1

Slight variation on this topic, but I have a question for you guys who are getting SS while living in Thailand. I just read that if you are not living in USA they stop paying until you spend 30 days back in USA. How can I get around this, I'll be collecting in another year or so. Do you have to use a US address and US bank account? I hear different stories on this. 

Thanks for any help.

• Sad 1
9 minutes ago, Tedly said:

Slight variation on this topic, but I have a question for you guys who are getting SS while living in Thailand. I just read that if you are not living in USA they stop paying until you spend 30 days back in USA. How can I get around this, I'll be collecting in another year or so. Do you have to use a US address and US bank account? I hear different stories on this. 

Thanks for any help.

Not true, I use US address and bank while living in Thailand.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
28 minutes ago, Tedly said:

Thanks for any help.

Never heard that. I've been living here since 1982, collecting Social Security since 1999. Never a problem, but sometimes it's a couple days later than my Army pension. Strictly speaking it's supposed to be credited to my account the 3rd every month, but it's usually deposited on the 1st, unless the 1st is on a Saturday or Sunday. I have direct deposit to my U.S. credit union and then use Transferwise to put in my Thai bank. I understand it's become possible to have SS deposit directly to a Thai bank, but I still can't do that with my Army pension and the cost of this method is unimportant.

32 minutes ago, cjinchiangrai said:

While we are on the topic does it make more sense to leave it in the US until needed?

Our expenses are way less than the payments. 

Who knows where the dollar is going. Mostly, it seems to be going down against the baht lately. I think I'll get what I can as soon as I can. More "stimulus" is coming no matter who is elected and that will devalue the currency even more.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, Mansell said:

I have friends in Phuket and sometimes they get theirs before me, and sometimes the next day. Bit of a <deleted> shoot.....but as long as it comes. If Trump gets back in he plans to dissolve the whole thing.......hope he disappears into one of his sh*t hole countries.

"If Trump gets back in he plans to dissolve the whole thing".  First I heard about that and I follow the U.S, news on a daily basis.  Please let me know your source.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Tedly said:

I just read that if you are not living in USA they stop paying until you spend 30 days back in USA.

Can you share the source which you "read"?

Suspect you're confusing/conflating a separate issue re: residency requirements for the foreign earned income exclusion, which is, I believe remains at 30 days in total. I know I had to document this each year, when I was taking that exclusion. 

There is no domestic/foreign residency test tor SocSec.

One does have to attest that they are alive and living at a certain address annually (foreign residence) and every two years if in the U.S. See form 7162.

Edited by mtls2005
8 hours ago, westsail said:

"If Trump gets back in he plans to dissolve the whole thing".  First I heard about that and I follow the U.S, news on a daily basis.  Please let me know your source.

Trump already put in a suspension of the payroll tax, which funds SS, until the end of the year.  Turns out after the suspension ends at the end of the year all those employees will have to pay it back.  But then he did say publicly that if he wins re-election he will stop the payroll tax altogether.  He does not have the power to do this since Congress passed the law establishing the payroll tax to fund SS and the Democrat-controlled House would never go along with eliminating the funding for SS.

However, Amy Coney Barret has previously included Social Security in a list of government programs that a "strict originalist," like herself, could overturn.

So, if Trump is able to snatch the White House, Social Security is very much in danger.

• Thanks 1
55 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

does SS really payout on your birthday (equivalent) every month? I'll be filing next year.

if you are using your address here for the SSA you get paid on the 3rd of the month.

If a US address this is the schedule.

Date of Birth Payment Day
1st through 10th Second Wednesday
11th through 20th Third Wednesday
21st through 31st Fourth Wednesday
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

if you are using your address here for the SSA you get paid on the 3rd of the month.

If a US address this is the schedule.

Date of Birth Payment Day
1st through 10th Second Wednesday
11th through 20th Third Wednesday
21st through 31st Fourth Wednesday

My birthdate is 22nd, My money and my daughter's money was deposited in my credit union account Mon 02 Nov. I started using US address but when I included my daughter through Manilla I had to use Thailand address. Maybe they use both addresses, point being my payday doesn't line up with your schedule.

25 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Maybe they use both addresses, point being my payday doesn't line up with your schedule.

Since it was transferred to a credit union in the US on the November 2nd and shown in the account is equal to having it paid on the 3rd. They transfer them on the 2nd so it will be available on the 3rd.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/5/2020 at 7:30 AM, mtls2005 said:

One does have to attest that they are alive and living at a certain address annually (foreign residence) and every two years if in the U.S. See form 7162.

If living in the US (or if purporting to do so) there is no reporting requirement.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...