Senior monk takes dim view of "High tech flying monk" on a hoverboard

webfact

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

Using high tech like this just didn't feel or look right, he intimated. It was far too "earthly" and could lead to public derision of the monkhood as something inappropriate

Absolute b*****

I just witnessed the other day monks kowtowing to a former monk who was defrocked ‘cos he’s a career criminal. What’s your view on that, mush? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa notes that those who have entered the monkhood are obliged to follow 227 precepts. They are supposed to shun earthly possessions and own almost nothing except robes. 

The reality however is somewhat different.

exactly that's the problem. Those who don't follow the precepts are not real monks and they should be denied the robe.

3 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

I like that!  Thinking outside the alms box.  Bit like my Monkees theme song which I reworded to Monks...and I remember well the look on my wifes face when I was singing it.  Stare of daggers!  Needless to say I burned that page I wrote it on and never sang that song again!

Try the Muppets theme instead of Monks chanting, its a top 40 hit in our house

Thats about how many she gets in before I retreat behind a closed door  :cheesy:

10 hours ago, webfact said:

He took a dim view. 

As he should.  What's the point in becoming a monk if you ignore the key values?

They shouldn't be smoking, drinking, having sex, using electronics for pleasure, none of it.  Otherwise they are shameless hypocrites and should not be in any position to preach to anyone or accept alms.