Bumrungrad Q3 profit plunges 79% year-on-year

webfact

Bumrungrad Q3 profit plunges 79% year-on-year

By THE NATION

800_fcf0e15d3fcbf6d.jpg?v=1604561540

Bumrungrad Hospital (BH) said it earned a third-quarter profit of Bt221.52 million, a 79 per cent decrease compared to the same period in 2019 with a profit of Bt1.05 billion.

BH vice chairman Dr Chanvit Tanphiphat informed the Stock Exchange of Thailand that total revenue in the previous quarter was Bt2.94 billion, a 38.6 per cent decrease compared to the third quarter last year.

Chanvit said the decrease in earnings came from a limitation on travel by foreign customers for medical treatment during the Covid-19 crisis.

He also mentioned that the revenue earned from foreign patients in the third quarter decreased by 59.9 per cent, while earnings from domestic patients increased by 3.4 per cent. The latter accounted for 56.1 per cent of the total.

In the three quarters (nine months) of 2020, BH witnessed total profit of Bt1.031 billion, a reduction of 64 per cent compared to the first three quarters of 2019, which saw total profit of Bt2.86 billion.

Total BH earnings in the first three quarters was Bt9.61 billion, decreasing by 30.8 per cent from the same period in 2019.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30397391

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-05

• Like 2

10 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Obviously it's all about the money.

I think I remember a time when it was a doctor's job to help people to get healthy again.

Many years ago, Bumrungrad, although pricey, wasn't over the top, and wasn't obsessed with upselling. Times have changed.

46 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Personally i find it incredibly funny that a hospital of all places cannot turn a profit in a pandemic and world wide health scare. 

We visit Bumrungrad to see an orthopedist we have used for years. We visit the place for nothing else.

She does her examination, makes her recommendations, lets us use our own therapists and doesn't prescribe meds from Bumrungrad's "Platinum Pharmacy".  

We've made a couple visits during the pandemic. In the past, one would find oneself swimming in a sea of burkas while on campus. The last couple times we visited, there were very, very few. Appears one of their biggest cash cows can't make the trip!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, webfact said:

In the three quarters (nine months) of 2020, BH witnessed total profit of Bt1.031 billion,

What are they moaning about, everybody is making less money due to current situation.  Many companies have had to shut down! In my view Hospitals should be for the good of the patient and nothing else!

• Like 1

My heart goes out to this hospital, NOT

How can anyone that charges what this den of thieves charge not make a profit.

Back in 2009 I had an accident and was carted off to this fine looking hotel.

First question was give us your credit card, 5 minutes later I was admitted, being 30,000 baht poorer.

Each day was the same until my insurance started to pay.

After 3 weeks I had to sign a receipt for over 600,000 baht, thank god it was not my money

• Like 1