Thai Baht Continues Steady Rise Against USD and Other Currencies

57 minutes ago, Banana7 said:

USD is now below 31 Baht, cash rate in Bangkok on Sunday November 8, 2020 is 30.75 baht. Euro is hanging onto 36.30 baht and GBP at 40.20.

As long as GDP stays above 40 I'm more than fine thanks.

4 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

Do not understand your point.

The current cost here for 2x10 pack M150 in Tesco Lotus is 172 Baht ie 8.6 Baht/bottle. Seems like a big mark up.

Guess if your buying in Bulk you get a discount at the big box stores, I was talking about what I see the cost is at the local 7-11's, I do not buy the stuff personally so would not know what the bulk price cut is here.  Just seemed strange he was buying it for the same price, but if you say it is less in bulk here I accept your answer.

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

Tell me this, my Son in the US just bought a 20 pack of M-150 energy drink for $19.95 at the Asian market near him, for 600 THB.  So thats 30 Thb for 1 bottle.  You can buy it for the same price here.  No mark-up on price in the US.  So how much are they really selling it for while manipulating prices while also paying import duties to the US.  Seems like some kind of currency manipulation is occurring.

How long has it been for sale in the US?

Sometime companies will sell at break even, or at a loss, when moving into  new market, in an attempt to capture some market share.  

6 minutes ago, Leaver said:

How long has it been for sale in the US?

Sometime companies will sell at break even, or at a loss, when moving into  new market, in an attempt to capture some market share.  

I used to buy it in Sacramento 15 years ago, so It has been in the States for awhile.  My pricing here and there is definitely not what the true price here is, as it seems to be more expensive in the states compared to what I thought it was here, but I have been shown the error of my ways, as its cheaper here than I thought I saw at my local 7-11.

I was thinking more in line with the exports being markedly reduced in price in order to absorb the excise tax levied, so the manipulation on that aspect of it as they repatriate the money back into the Thai coffers.  That's the only reason I used it as an example as I was thinking it was an undervalued product.

29 minutes ago, OneeyedJohn said:

How do you get the currency symbol for Baht?

I use Alt + 0163 for £, but can't find how the baht is done.

My IPad has a Thai keyboard on it.  Click the globe in the lower left hand corner...then...

E75F40C4-85A5-4E44-B035-498BD9AFF1B4.jpeg

CACE4D1E-54DF-4D46-B078-EA15B92CC594.jpeg

14 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

The biggest foreign exchange market is in London, and I don't think selling or buying M-150 in USA has anything at all to do with currency manipulation.

If the baht gets strong it is because the dollar has got weaker.

Exactly. With all the problems in the US, and the trillions of funny money they are printing, the baht is bound to improve. Anything that happens in Thailand is small fry compared to that.

• Like 2

Almost all western governments have been borrowing and printing money like confetti to try and keep their economies from going belly up and keep people unable to work from becoming too unhappy. Look at the UK, the budget deficit this year is now forecast to be close on £400 billion. Thailand has done this to a much smaller extent, the government doesn't seem to care very much whether its people are going hungry, or hanging themselves in despair. Disgraceful though that may be, it's bound to be a positive for the currency compared with the countries that are working the printing presses overtime.

• Like 2

UK nationals have been complaining since 2006 when the exchange rate was > 75 Baht to the GBP after hitting a very brief historic high of ~90 in 1988 after the Asian economic crisis. The long term natural rate appears to be about ~40 which is where it is now and where the average was for 30+ years before the Asian economic crisis of 1997-8.

However the UK economy is looking in bad shape and it could go lower than 40.

The UK is in recession due to ((Boris Johnson)+Brexit+Covid=recession).

It is going to get much worse for the GBP as Joe Biden has already warned comrade Boris Johnson not to screw up Brexit and damage the Irish peace accord. Boris is clueless.

Check it out for yourselves https://fxtop.com/en/historical-exchange-rates-graph-zoom.php?C1=GBP&C2=THB&A=1&DD1=03&MM1=10&YYYY1=1968&DD2=24&MM2=10&YYYY2=2020&LARGE=1&LANG=en&VAR=0&MM1M=0&MM3M=0&MM1Y=0&LOG=&TR=&INDICE=

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

gee i wonder what incredibly bad thing for business and the nation in general just happened in the USA that could have caused this? 

stock market is next.

kiss it all goodbye. 

No no no, the US stock market likes (government) high spenders, because it means lots of money printing, and a good chunk of this money is bound to end up in the stock market...

16 hours ago, OneeyedJohn said:

How do you get the currency symbol for Baht?

I use Alt + 0163 for £, but can't find how the baht is done.

Why not try Alt + 3647 ฿ ฿ ฿ ฿ ฿ ฿ ???

You could even go the whole hog and look here:  https://www.webnots.com/alt-code-shortcuts-for-currency-symbols/

Mongolian Tugrik anyone? Alt + 8366 ₮ ₮ ₮ ₮ ₮ ???

• Haha 2

I forgot to add that if you want the Euro symbol, the simplest shortcut is the RIGHT hand Alt key and the number 4.  € € € € €

If you use the on screen keyboard (Press WIndows key and R, then type OSK and press enter, you can see all the characters you will get by pressing Alt Gr (the right hand Alt key).

If you have added Thai language to your keyboards in Windows, when you switch to Thai typing the OSK changes to Thai.  Useful when you haven't got a Thai keyboard to hand and need some Thai letters.  In Windows Home you can add and then type in multiple languages easily.  You only need WIndows Pro if you need to have multiple Windows 10 system languages in use and switch between them quickly.

18 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Tell me this, my Son in the US just bought a 20 pack of M-150 energy drink for $19.95 at the Asian market near him, for 600 THB.  So thats 30 Thb for 1 bottle.  You can buy it for the same price here.  No mark-up on price in the US.  So how much are they really selling it for while manipulating prices while also paying import duties to the US.  Seems like some kind of currency manipulation is occurring.

What on earth are you on about?

10 pack $3 .............

m150.jpg