Thailand on track to open largest rail station in Southeast Asia

webfact

14 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

What is the Thai for 'tightly controlled' please?   LOL 555

Ah, well there...

Earlier SRT signalling schemes were installed along the British systems, mainly by "Westinghouse Brake and Signal" a well known railway contracting firm based in Chippenham in the West Country. In those systems the tight control would be exercised by a "calling on signal", possibly combined with a call from a lineside telephone to ensure that the signalman and driver came to a "clear misunderstanding", speed drawing forward would be limited to a few km per hour - basically walking pace. This is certainly what they do at Hualampong at present. This being a brand new station it will probably be controlled from a computerised panel. The basic system should remain the same...

Hopefully not just some bloke energetically waving a somewhat ambiguous green flag at the end of the platform!

Railway signalling is, for me, a fascinating topic, on which I could bore for hours!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Oh dear.

There is an MRT station in the basement.  It is called Bang Sue (there's a clue in the name - it's the same as the station!).  Also connects with Light Red and Dark Red lines when they open next year.

Why would you expect it to be connected to lines that don't pass through there (BTS, Purple Line)?  There are lots of other things in different parts on Bangkok it's not connected to either - it doesn't connect with any Chao Phraya river boats which is another massive oversight.  No walkway directly into Emporium either - more stupid Thai short-sightedness!

So they've expanded on and perfected the Makkasan station experiment then?

11 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

Tipped for completion in 2023, passengers using the high speed train will be able to travel from Bangkok to U-Tapao in Rayong in just under one hour. 

The high speed train line will also connect Bangkok with Nong Khai, where passengers will be able to travel from the capital to Thailand’s northeast border with Laos in just three hours

Sorry but this is just a pipe dream

I was just about to ask if it's a typo.

That having been said, I did read a few years back that the Bangkok-Nakhon Ratchasima commute would be covered in just an hour and a bit - great for me! To work and back again in just under 3 hours! 

5 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Oh dear.

There is an MRT station in the basement.  It is called Bang Sue (there's a clue in the name - it's the same as the station!).  Also connects with Light Red and Dark Red lines when they open next year.

Why would you expect it to be connected to lines that don't pass through there (BTS, Purple Line)?  There are lots of other things in different parts on Bangkok it's not connected to either - it doesn't connect with any Chao Phraya river boats which is another massive oversight.  No walkway directly into Emporium either - more stupid Thai short-sightedness!

there are many benefits being and to be realised from the investment in public transportation in bangkok, however, i would agree, there are many, obvious, missed opportunities;

- in the original planning decades ago a strategic objective should have been to connect all major transportation hubs in the city; air, bus, train, this still hasnt been achieved and results in terrible congestion in certain areas.

- major residential areas should have been connected to the shopping, CBD, and tourist areas should have been connected to hotel areas e.g. there should be an mrt connection to a station under sanam luang, this would enable tourists to visit the area as well as thais to go there for many national holidays and national occasions, this would make bangkok more tourist friendly and reduce terrible congestion in the area

- at some point heads need to be banged together so there is one valid travel card valid across all public transportation networks, as in most major cities e.g. oyster card in london

50 minutes ago, samsensam said:

there are many benefits being and to be realised from the investment in public transportation in bangkok, however, i would agree, there are many, obvious, missed opportunities;

Agree, it's not perfect but the developments in the last 5 years alone have been quite substantial and the new systems coming on stream in the next five years are to be applauded.  I think it is rare that a city can undertake such massive infrastructure development in such a short space of time.  I can't think of many places that have built so many lines simultaneously.  But yes, not perfect.

- in the original planning decades ago a strategic objective should have been to connect all major transportation hubs in the city; air, bus, train, this still hasnt been achieved and results in terrible congestion in certain areas.

Yep, years behind on that.  Seems that this will happen but agree it is years too late.

- major residential areas should have been connected to the shopping, CBD, and tourist areas should have been connected to hotel areas e.g. there should be an mrt connection to a station under sanam luang, this would enable tourists to visit the area as well as thais to go there for many national holidays and national occasions, this would make bangkok more tourist friendly and reduce terrible congestion in the area

Not sure about this.  I think the MRT gets as close as it should at Sanam Chai.  It's a historic area and I can understand why they don't want MRT exits and vents around the place.  There is no underground station anywhere near Buckingham Palace (not sure if that is the reason though).

- at some point heads need to be banged together so there is one valid travel card valid across all public transportation networks, as in most major cities e.g. oyster card in london

Agree 100% with this.  It is criminal that there is still not a common ticketing system.

Bangkok is making great strides so it annoys me when someone (not you) makes a cheap jibe at something that is actually a great milestone in the development of mass transit here.  I've lived and worked here since before the first BTS lines were built so I appreciate how far things have come.

Edited by josephbloggs

23 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Had a real estate agent tell me in an email yesterday that now is the time to buy in Hua Hin. His rational was prices would double and possibly triple in the next 5 years as the trains and economic corridor were built up.  Such salesmanship for already over priced properties.

I fell for the Company-buying-a-house route.  When the proverbial hit the fan, they disappeared, saying shareholding is illegal. 

Property/company prices are falling in direct proportion to the number of Chinese business men being allowed in. If they allowed ex-pats to purchase their own houses outright, it would be a fillip for the industry & Thailand.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

Sounds like the great US railway build of the 1800's

They have stopped the sprinter trains here upcountry, and it takes about twice the time now for a train to travel the 280 Ks to

Bangkok as on the bus. I would think they need to do something about the time the trains get from A to B before they bother about new stations.

1 hour ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

After a two hour journey to reach the station.

Another typical TVF boring negative statement.

Yeah, a two hour journey to get there if you drive from Silom.  At rush hour.  On a Friday.  And don't use the expressway.(which has an exit around 500 metres from the station entrance).

You could also use the mass transit system to get there as it is / will be a mass transit hub.

But no, you would obviously take the slowest way humanly possible just so you can moan about it.

On 11/10/2020 at 8:59 AM, canopus1969 said:

Tipped for completion in 2023, passengers using the high speed train will be able to travel from Bangkok to U-Tapao in Rayong in just under one hour. 

The high speed train line will also connect Bangkok with Nong Khai, where passengers will be able to travel from the capital to Thailand’s northeast border with Laos in just three hours

Lovely dream ,could do with more of them.

On 11/10/2020 at 8:59 AM, canopus1969 said:

But a lovely dream. 

59 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Another typical TVF boring negative statement.

Yeah, a two hour journey to get there if you drive from Silom.  At rush hour.  On a Friday.  And don't use the expressway.(which has an exit around 500 metres from the station entrance).

You could also use the mass transit system to get there as it is / will be a mass transit hub.

But no, you would obviously take the slowest way humanly possible just so you can moan about it.

Call me a cynic, but I have trouble understanding why a country with narrow-gauge single track rail lines, running mostly dated rail stock, needs the largest train station in SE Asia. For one-tenth the cost, the historic Hua Lamphong Station in central Bangkok could have been renovated and expanded (if necessary). But then, of course, the "skim" would have been 1/10th as much and we can't have that.

And at any time or day of the week, unless you are coming from the immediate vicinity, it can take two hours or more to traverse the city from one end to the other. Also, people taking trips and traveling with???? often don't want to leg it on public transit...it's not like their going to the office.

On 11/10/2020 at 3:56 PM, DaLa said:

The station is absolutely impressive. As you say though even with the improvement to the tracks and new stations, the route to Hua Hin still doesn't look good for High Speed rail. Although  I have read in various press statements that the route is next on the list and not too far in the distant future.

Screenshot 2020-11-10 at 09.53.58.png

IMO the entire point of the hi speed rail is to join China to Singapore ( and get the countries along the way to pay for it ) which means that Hua Hin will be on the hi speed line, but I doubt fares will be low enough to get people off the buses.

On 11/10/2020 at 2:37 PM, webfact said:

Just as well they said "passengers" and not tourists!

On 11/10/2020 at 2:37 PM, webfact said:

The station will be used for intercity, underground and commuter trains,

As long as they get the underground there faster than they got the airport train to Swampy.

On 11/14/2020 at 2:33 PM, bkk_bwana said:

There is a lot of negativity about the Chinese and this railway. Anyone who has ever been to China and used their railway network knows that it is both excellent and extremely reliable. China knows how to build railways.

You miss the point, IMO. The hi speed railway isn't, IMO for the benefit of the Thai people, though they will be expected to pay for it.

If it was for the Thais, the first line would be to Chiang Mai IMO, and not to the Laos connection to China.

On 11/14/2020 at 1:33 AM, bkk_bwana said:

There is a lot of negativity about the Chinese and this railway. Anyone who has ever been to China and used their railway network knows that it is both excellent and extremely reliable. China knows how to build railways.

Agree with other commentators.....this railway is all about Chinese expansionism.....nothing to do with providing Thais with a rail service.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2020 at 6:59 PM, Pattaya Spotter said:

Call me a cynic, but I have trouble understanding why a country with narrow-gauge single track rail lines, running mostly dated rail stock, needs the largest train station in SE Asia. For one-tenth the cost, the historic Hua Lamphong Station in central Bangkok could have been renovated and expanded (if necessary). But then, of course, the "skim" would have been 1/10th as much and we can't have that.

And at any time or day of the week, unless you are coming from the immediate vicinity, it can take two hours or more to traverse the city from one end to the other. Also, people taking trips and traveling with???? often don't want to leg it on public transit...it's not like their going to the office.

I have trouble understanding why a country with narrow-gauge single track rail lines, running mostly dated rail stock, needs the largest train station in SE Asia

You already answered your question

But then, of course, the "skim" would have been 1/10th as much and we can't have that.

Also, people taking trips and traveling with???? often don't want to leg it on public transit...it's not like their going to the office.

I disagree with you 100%. People do that all over the world. The London Tube goes to Heathrow precisely so people can catch planes. I had to take a bus to Dublin airport etc etc etc. The airport train goes to Swampy, but for some reason you think people won't use public transport to the new railway station.

I hope they keep Hua Lumpong and make it into a museum of Thai rail. I'd hate to see it bulldozed for another <deleted> mall.