Nonthaburi school dares parents to go to court over child abuse

webfact

Nonthaburi school dares parents to go to court over child abuse

By The Nation

800_62293f00d02a559.jpg?v=1604992635

Prayut Petchkhun

The Nonthaburi Sarasas Witaed Ratchaphruek School has reportedly rejected the option an out-of-court settlement with 20 parents who are demanding a Bt5 million compensation for the abuse meted out to their children.

Prayut Petchkhun, deputy spokesperson for the Office of the Attorney General, said on Tuesday morning that the school has sent a letter refusing to talk to parents, saying it was ready to fight the case in court.

The case of child abuse at the school has sparked public anger for months, while 13 teachers have so far surrendered to police.

Police have found evidence of 58 students being physically assaulted by teachers, some of whom are already serving a prison sentence.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30397680

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-11-10

Scandal ridden school sent no one to negotiate with parents

Screen-Shot-2563-11-10-at-15.40.29.png

Sarasas Witaed Ratchaphruek school sent no one to negotiate with parents of abused students, in a 130 million Baht lawsuit.

Today, the Office of the Attorney General invited representative from the school and, the parents of students abused by school’s teacher assistants, for arbitration talks.

The school responded by letter, refusing to jtake part in the dialogue. The letter stated that the school will let the lawsuits proceed through the court. However, the Office of the Attorney General told the media that it will try to call in both sides again.

In September, a CCTV clip from a pre-school class at Sarasas Witaed Ratchaphruek school in Nonthaburi province went viral on social media. It showed several young children being physically abused by their teachers and teacher assistants. One clip shows a female teacher chasing a child and trying to use a black plastic bag to cover him, while others show children being thrown across the classroom floor and a child’s head being banged on a table.

Following the incident, more Video clips were reviewed by the parents. The incidents naturally distressed the parents in distress and some of them filed complaints with the police in October. The teachers and the teacher assistants in question surrendered to the police. After investigate the actions captured in the video clips, the police found that 13 children had been abused on 58 occasions.

Defendants in 7 of 19 cases have been convicted and sent to prison. While the other related cases are proceeding.

After the Office of the Attorney General received the reply from the school, parents and their lawyers turned to the media, saying that five million baht per child, for what the school has done, is not excessive, when you consider the psychological damaged done to these children.

So far, the school has refunded tuition fees for one semester, but has not reimbursed medical expenses. One of the parents said, had the school shown more responsibility, they would not have filed a lawsuit for such an amount.

Source: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/scandal-ridden-school-sent-no-one-to-negotiate-with-parents/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-11-10

Pulled my 6 year boy out of school this year and possibly next mainly due to my FCD account being trusted up like a kipper from the UK and the absurd price being demanded together with covid, having your kid being abused by teachers and paying for it is punishable by death in my book of learning ???? 

• Like 1

Ppl killed/died rarely ask/receive such settlement.

Beating the kid is bad, but far the same magnitude.

In contrast, take any of the bus accidents ( and there is numerous)...how much those companies got sued for and paid out per victims?

The reckless driver vs the reckless teacher, both responsible for the ppl in their care...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Unusual step taken by Sarasas as they usually settle out of court to avoid adverse publicity.  However, the president has shown the opposite lately by creating disgustingly bad publicity himself.  Maybe the son is right afterall....the old man is demented.

I'm sureI read somewhere after this case first broke, that he said something along the lines of  "If I have to close the school, I will get more money from the sale of the land than I earn from the school itself."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DeusExMachinaBKK said:

No, it’s 5mil baht EACH. 

Source ?

as if it was the case, surely it would be reported as 100 million baht class action lawsuit
to myself it reads like 5 million baht class action lawsuit
so it would be divided up among all those involved
after lawyers fees, it not much at all
seems the school dont realise when they have a bargain on the table

45 minutes ago, patman30 said:

Source ?

as if it was the case, surely it would be reported as 100 million baht class action lawsuit
to myself it reads like 5 million baht class action lawsuit
so it would be divided up among all those involved
after lawyers fees, it not much at all
seems the school dont realise when they have a bargain on the table

9th post on page 1, Thai PBS, 130 million lawsuit

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, scorecard said:

How to win friends & delight customers to ensure they come back and buy again and they influence others to buy your services and products. 

Standard  practice for many here, its  a  case of  like it  or  <deleted>  off as far as theyre  concerned, clueless morons, its  no wonder they dont want Johnny Foreigner working here as they would  wipe the floor  with them in the service category.