Airbnb: Thailand Geared up for Digital Nomads and Work-Cations

webfact

C'm on guys, let's hear the truth, stop the sugarcoating... What exactly does the headline really mean?

Does it perhaps mean building concentration camps for those pesky illegal immigrant (even if they stay only a quarter, locals will regard to them as such) digital nomads and building up a task force, combining heavily armed cops with an undercover team of snitches roaming public restaurants and cafes to round out those sneaky, despicable "Farangs" to then take them into custody, fine them blind, lock them up and then kick them out of YOUR country equipped with a shiny red ten year banned entry stamp in their passports???

I would be extremely flubbergusted if my "unplugged" vision of your "gear-up plan" wouldn't hold at least a fraction of your true intent...

Guys at the helm - you have a lot of cleaning up to do to make this country attractive again to expat newbies and investors alike! The best way would be to start educating your people from top to bottom that we live in 2020, where it is an absolute NoGo to generalise, stigmatise, rob, cheat, betray, attack, double-cross, overcharge and discriminate any person that is not Thai.

The above would be a start, but then... there would be so much more to do, i.e. visa requirements, etc... since you certainly are in the top five countries worldwide when it comes to sawing off your own branch and imposing irrational knee-jerk reactions whenever something doesn't exactly go your way. 

Edited by Freigeist365
typos

You need equivalent to 500k bank in the your bank for 6 month to get a 60-days tourist visa or a STV, and the clearance of eligibility to actually work in Thailand seems still unclear: so I've find it hard to see the purpose of the news story.

I presume that those already wealthy digital nomads with a good foreign income use the Elite Card-method, and officially live from their savings.

• Like 1

More green eggs and spam!

I do not like them, Siam-I-am! I do not like them with a goat. I would not, I could not with a goat!

Would I like them on a boat? No I do not like them on a boat! Nor with a goat, nor with a fox in a box. Nor in a house with a mouse! No, no no, Siam-I-Am I do not like green eggs and spam!

Come to Thailand. We take your money and will kick you out. 

You will be welcomed with double pricing for being so nice to come and save our countries economy!!

We are going to let you know that we are better than you are in everything!!

22 hours ago, JonnyF said:

image.png.6f0643fec7330f9e3118173bed9ab7d5.png

Airbnb is not illegal in Thailand and never has been. They held regular recruitment seminars here before covid.

it is illegal to rent your condo for less than 1 month on any platform however you can find them listed on Airbnb, VRBO and other rental sites such as Agoda home. Enforcement is almost non existent similar to helmet enforcement on motorbikes.

8 hours ago, scorecard said:

Further, my experience with renting a small house through AirBnb was (in terms of fees) more expensive than renting through a mainstream agent.

Plus little did I know that after confirming/agreeing the dates and rental costs I would be hit with:

- A further substantial cleaning fee

- Numerous rules including; 'don't touch/leave fingerprint marks  on any work surfaces, wipe down the front door outside and inside and ensure there are zero finger marks/prints on the door, same for the outside key box, completely clean the shower glass walls and door, note that the cleaning supplies (liquids and clothes) will be checked after you leave and a charge will be deducted using your credit card details for whatever has been used', and more.

Plus a couple of days after making the booking I got an e.mail from the local AirBnb hostess with  a video welcoming me to the area and strongly suggesting I patronize a restaurant about 3 km from the rented house, because the restaurant was owned by her sister. 

that using your credit card details for their self accessed billing would have me concerned enough not to use it. Apparently these pseudo hotel owners now have to covid protect their rentals lol. I'm hoping further restrictions regarding health measures going forward will choke the life out these bloodsuckers once and for all.. 

this is a nonsensical story. as we dont even know when thailand will open. trying to run before you can walk. the south east asia countries are obviously gonna be the last countries to open because of their irrational fear, and their restrictions and visas rules will be ridiculous. so there is a million better places they will find

4 hours ago, Jack Cook said:

Another daily dose of Thai comedy, gotta love it. Dirty Farang not welcome. Vietnam has it in the bag now, better everything and much less  BS. Thailands tourism days are done ????????????????????????????????????????????????????.

@Jack Cook yea cuz vietnam is welcoming foreigners with open arms atm????

On 11/11/2020 at 3:42 AM, racket said:

No, you can't obtain a work permit if your job or source of income is destined in another jurisdiction. 

Laws states that if you are working in Thailand you need a work permit, at this time immigration keeps a blind eye to this, but it's still illegal. overstaying never was an issue, until immigration decided it was..... 

On 11/11/2020 at 3:54 PM, from the home of CC said:

wherever the platform is used it has caused problems (except for those who have profited turning residential locales into hotels), Thailand was right to ban them except for home rental, trouble is this illegal rental plague has decimated the hotel industry ( well prior to covid). If and when life returns to normality the government would be well served in a strict enforcement policy to eradicate these vultures. Hotels with license pay taxes while those profiting from this illegal business evade taxes.. 

AirBnB is the worst platform to work with.
They seem not to care anything about local laws, instead they support illegal deals.
The only thing AirBNB cares about are discounts for renters and their commission.

13 hours ago, ericthai said:

Laws states that if you are working in Thailand you need a work permit, at this time immigration keeps a blind eye to this, but it's still illegal. overstaying never was an issue, until immigration decided it was.....

You must be referring to the Alien Employment Act, and if you had actually read the law, or any of the multiple threads on here, then you would know that this is not true, as it is not applicable to remote workers & digital nomads.

We are talking about remote workers. People who work on their computer for an entity/entities outside of Thailand, and those companies have no presence in this country. These workers also get paid in a different currency (USD,GBP,EURO) to a bank account outside of Thailand. These people send this foreign currency to Thailand.

They make no money inside Thailand, the companies have no presence in Thailand and these workers could not be taking a job away from a Thai person.

Immigration is not turning a blind eye, they are not able to do anything. The Alien employment act does not cover these workers because the law is out of date. They have been making some strides to correct this, such as introducing a digital services tax - which includes revenue earned from outside Thailand from non juristic entities. However, you can simply avoid the tax altogether by leaving the cash offshore for 1 year and then transferring it over tax free into Thailand! There is a new freelancer visa coming from the BOI (Board Of Investment) which also aims to address this.

Edited by 2530Ubon

On 11/11/2020 at 3:54 PM, from the home of CC said:

wherever the platform is used it has caused problems (except for those who have profited turning residential locales into hotels), Thailand was right to ban them except for home rental, trouble is this illegal rental plague has decimated the hotel industry ( well prior to covid). If and when life returns to normality the government would be well served in a strict enforcement policy to eradicate these vultures. Hotels with license pay taxes while those profiting from this illegal business evade taxes.. 

Difficult to do anything about the Chinese condo buyers renting to other Chinese when they come back.