Think twice before you sign up for ‘free’ digital service

webfact

To be fair, up until June 1, 2021 you can still upload unlimited photos and Google will store those files for free under the existing rules.  Only photos uploaded after that date will consume the 15GB currently allocated to all Gmail accounts.  After the policy change takes effect users will need to pay for storage in excess of their free allotment.

But... the handwriting is on the wall.  I doubt that these free allotments will remain free forever.  Start your plan B now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

To be fair, up until June 1, 2021 you can still upload unlimited photos and Google will store those files for free under the existing rules.  Only photos uploaded after that date will consume the 15GB currently allocated to all Gmail accounts.  After the policy change takes effect users will need to pay for storage in excess of their free allotment.

But... the handwriting is on the wall.  I doubt that these free allotments will remain free forever.  Start your plan B now.

It use to be that you could store unlimited photos at a reduced resolution.

Is that the service they are canceling now?

22 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

It use to be that you could store unlimited photos at a reduced resolution.

Is that the service they are canceling now?

No, they're not yet cancelling or indicating that they will begin charging to store your already uploaded photos. 

Details https://blog.google/products/photos/storage-policy-update/

I am a Pixel user, so get unlimited storage of full resolution photos anyway. Although should I stop using a Pixel, this 'privilege' will be taken away from me even if the photos using the memory are from a Pixel phone. So while not entirely happy with this, I decided a few years back to spend 700 baht per year for the piece of mind that having 100+ gb of cloud storage gives me. I don't mind paying for digital services, but yes, I do not like bait and switches or misleading offers.

22 minutes ago, George Aylesham said:

I won't use Google photos because of the way it takes over your collection as it thinks fit. Not stopping the company repeated asking me to join up.

I don't consider that Google displaying my pictures in chronological order, or grouped automatically according to persons portrayed as "taking over" my collection.  Nothing about my collection has changed other than the presentation method.

My biggest complaint is that I have been unable to use Google's metadata editing abilities to reliably change the dates used to sort the images.  Often I've had to resort to deleting a photo, using operating system tools to change the date of creation and then re-uploading to Google Photos.  This problem occurs when I'm uploading scanned images of pre digital era photos.

4 hours ago, Antonymous said:

Clearly, soon you will have to pay for Google (and Facebook et.al) to spy on you, instead of sharing all your private data with them for free.

I have always found it horrifying that anyone is prepared to do this, yet 1 billion people around the globe are doing so already, apparently. Presumably they have absolutely no concern for privacy, or that their information can one day be retrieved easily and possibly used against them.

I have never used a cloud service of any description and apart from TV, no social media. My entire collection of photos and even more important for me, all that I have ever written, is stored and catalogued permanently offline on a device that has no internet connectivity. Very quick and easy to do and I can rest assured that the intimate detail of my private life remain just that, private. Oh and before anyone makes any unwelcome assertions - there is nothing criminal in that.

I agree with you 100%

56 minutes ago, gamb00ler said:

I don't consider that Google displaying my pictures in chronological order, or grouped automatically according to persons portrayed as "taking over" my collection.  Nothing about my collection has changed other than the presentation method.

My biggest complaint is that I have been unable to use Google's metadata editing abilities to reliably change the dates used to sort the images.  Often I've had to resort to deleting a photo, using operating system tools to change the date of creation and then re-uploading to Google Photos.  This problem occurs when I'm uploading scanned images of pre digital era photos.

Of course, the date on a scanned photo is the date that operation was done.

I do remember when Max Spielman or Boots would print a date on the photos if you asked for it.

4 hours ago, Bangyai said:

Just store photos and files to a flash drive ..... sorted.

And every so often go through them and see how many you looked at in the past year or two.

Most photos taken with phones these days are viewed ONCE, that is about 10 seconds after it has been taken. Then it, and usually several very similar photos, are uploaded to Farcebook or whatever.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Tyler Visan said:

Of course, the date on a scanned photo is the date that operation was done.

I do remember when Max Spielman or Boots would print a date on the photos if you asked for it.

My point was that Google supposedly provides tools to edit the metadata.  But, those tools regularly fail.  They allow the dates to be edited and they appear to save the edited information.  The result is some date that doesn't match the file created date and or the new date I wished to use.

Edited by gamb00ler
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bangyai said:

Just store photos and files to a flash drive ..... sorted.

I have a box full of failed flash drives, of various sorts. No digital storage can be trusted. 

Never mind the backward compatability issues!

Even my collection of classical music on commercial cds is rotting in the climate here! I won't even mention the box of dead hard disk drives that would not revive.

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Tyler Visan said:

And every so often go through them and see how many you looked at in the past year or two.

Most photos taken with phones these days are viewed ONCE, that is about 10 seconds after it has been taken. Then it, and usually several very similar photos, are uploaded to Farcebook or whatever.

I do that about once a year. Go through those I've taken, pick out the 10 % that are really good and have them printed into two sets, one for my collection and one for wifes. As you say....most pictures taken rarely get looked at more than a few times.

A lot of my real favorites are also imbedded in various online accounts. Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

As for flash drives , they can go off over time so download every now and then then upload to a new flash. Not had any of mine go yet but they are always stored somewhere cool.

4 hours ago, Antonymous said:

Clearly, soon you will have to pay for Google (and Facebook et.al) to spy on you, instead of sharing all your private data with them for free.

I have always found it horrifying that anyone is prepared to do this, yet 1 billion people around the globe are doing so already, apparently. Presumably they have absolutely no concern for privacy, or that their information can one day be retrieved easily and possibly used against them.

I have never used a cloud service of any description and apart from TV, no social media. My entire collection of photos and even more important for me, all that I have ever written, is stored and catalogued permanently offline on a device that has no internet connectivity. Very quick and easy to do and I can rest assured that the intimate detail of my private life remain just that, private. Oh and before anyone makes any unwelcome assertions - there is nothing criminal in that.

I guess it is safe to assume that you don't have a Facebook account, but the scary part is that Facebook have an account on you!

Each time a friend,  relative or classmate do a search for you (you name) on Facebook,  they of course come up with nothing, but Facebook is keeping this record about you.

If you then one day sign up for an account, Facebook will suggest all these old searches as friends for you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grusa said:

I have a box full of failed flash drives, of various sorts. No digital storage can be trusted. 

Even my collection of classical music on commercial cds is rotting in the climate here! I won't even mention the box of dead hard disk drives that would not revive.

I have CDs which are over 25 years old still working perfectly, and hard drives, now redundant, which have been in my tower for 10 years or so. What are you doing with yours?

3 minutes ago, Tyler Visan said:

I have CDs which are over 25 years old still working perfectly, and hard drives, now redundant, which have been in my tower for 10 years or so. What are you doing with yours?

The CDs develop some kind of mould which eats the surface. Catch it early and they recover, but if left too long it seems to eat through and destroy the reflective layer.

Hard disks, they start developing bad sectors. Probably due to power surges.

6 minutes ago, Grusa said:

The CDs develop some kind of mould which eats the surface. Catch it early and they recover, but if left too long it seems to eat through and destroy the reflective layer.

Hard disks, they start developing bad sectors. Probably due to power surges.

I must be living in a mould and surge free world!    LOL

But I do know that the hard drives run off a low DC voltage produced by the power supply in your tower, and this is smoothed and regulated. Surges?

Edited by Tyler Visan

18 hours ago, Grusa said:

I have CDs which are over 25 years old still working perfectly, and hard drives, now redundant, which have been in my tower for 10 years or so. What are you doing with yours?"

Used to be called "laser rot" (remember laser discs?). In '83 I bought a Kate Bush at Hammersmith laser disc in Japan. I didn't have player, but friend did, so transferred to VHS. Pits developed in aluminum info carrying section sandwiched in plastic, as I found when I finally got a player...

CDs & DVDs have same problem here. The DVD 5.1 Beatles "Love" unplayable (superb album, btw). Many of my CDs (keep them in a case). Seems to strike CDs I play more often... does motion and/or slight heat somehow encourage the destruction?

Here's a photo of a mild yet still fatal example. It is "Love" was kept in original plastic container.  image.jpeg.0fb5b6df7c4c28a7d7ed0cf0dbf5a989.jpeg