New Rider, "Is it ok to go for big bike?"

screwman

OP< don't. Start with a 125 cc, or a 250 cc, not too heavy and ride for a while.

Then rent a bigger bike and go on a track, or anywhere else where nobody would just kill you.

Then you need to learn a lot about brakes, how long it will take you to come to an abrupt stop, learn certain things, for example never to brake in a curve, accelerating is the better choice.

I grew up with big bikes and even then, there are situations that scare the shi_e out of me at U-turns.

Read a lot about bikes, the dangers on the rods, what could ( and will) happen and buy protective clothes, even on a 125 cc.

Life's too short to throw it away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

First big bike I ever rode was a Yamaha chopper that I rented from a place on New Petchaburi Road in Bangkok. I was so busy trying to control it that I got stopped for riding on a bus lane and fined.

I soon got used to it, and went on to own a 400 cc Honda CB1 (lovely bike), and then an 1100 cc Honda Blackbird (walking pace to 200 in the same gear, nearly killed myself a few times).

I'd had lots of experience on small bikes back in London before riding the big bikes in Bangkok though. 

Just now, dbrenn said:

First big bike I ever rode was a Yamaha chopper that I rented from a place on New Petchaburi Road in Bangkok. I was so busy trying to control it that I got stopped for riding on a bus lane and fined after riding just a few hundred metres.

I soon got used to it, and went on to own a 400 cc Honda CB1 (lovely bike), and then an 1100 cc Honda Blackbird (walking pace to 200 in the same gear, nearly killed myself a few times).

I'd had lots of experience on small bikes back in London before riding the big bikes in Bangkok though. 

Tomorrow will be my motorcycle license tests date beginning 7am ending 3pm. Will be a series of tests ended with riding.

Went to visit that Paddock shop for the first time this morning. Man it feels like a young boy going into a candy store.

D373E10F-6B12-48DB-BCB2-8FB17A66F077.thumb.jpeg.9843fe170c4bc7c3efbc4776c5871f94.jpeg

4BCF6939-D16A-4CAA-BB1C-2EB94137B64E.thumb.jpeg.240c4580b139f774f98c891babfcf3c4.jpeg

18F78520-AD3F-4A05-BC52-CE04F5E567CE.thumb.jpeg.46b85a1ed2c5bdefb2f1bec4f153e1cc.jpeg

9B4B0AF4-476E-41EA-8321-0673E26E7637.jpeg

• Like 2

On 12/1/2020 at 3:03 AM, hydraides said:

Riding a 750cc+ bike in Bangkok, Sorry but that's a death sentence waiting to happen, even if you are experienced......you would be nuts to ride a powerful bike around Bangkok. Too many cars skipping lights, way too busy with too much traffic, crazy minibus drivers and pickup drivers etc etc. Thailand is in top 5 countries in the world for road deaths. 

Even if you're riding in somewhere like Koh Samui, its a bit better but not by much.....

My advice just don't do it.....

I rode small 150cc in BKK for few years, then changed to cars for many years. I then bought an old 750cc, chopper style which was not so much fun in the city due to limited steering and maneuverability, but was fun out of the city. I later upgraded to CB1300, naked bike, and that one was great fun in and out of the city.

However,I wouldn't go for a big bike as the op mentioned with no experience at all (i don't concider home to 7-11 and back as riding experience) 

• Like 2

I would listen to most of the replies here.  As already mentioned, Thailand is a very dangerous place to drive a bike.  But it's not in the top three or four countries in the world.  Thailand has the most lethal roads in the world, bar none.  

I have over fifty years of experience driving all sorts of bikes, from dirt bikes to a 140 mph BMW K-100 RS.  So, like others here I have motorcycles in my blood.  I presently own two bikes, a 155 c.c. Yamaha Nmax and a 900 c.c. Triumph Bonneville, Street Twin.  I have the Triumph because I love bikes and it is a true classic that brings me back to my younger days.  Do I need it?  No way.

I very seldom drive my Triumph at night here in Pattaya.  There are several reasons for this.  First off a bright red Triumph sends a message to any policemen in the area.  "Here's a rich falang with lots of money to give me."  So it's not a good idea to be flashing my wallet at night, especially if I've been drinking.   The second reason is a 200 kg Triumph does not drive at all like a 127 kg Yamaha Nmax.  I am used to the sharp turning ability of the Nmax and my ability to throw a 280 pound bike around.  One cannot do this with a much bigger bike such as a Triumph.  Try to do what you  can do with a "scooter" on a 900 c.c. Triumph and the weight of the much bigger bike is going to take you down.  The third reason is the "little" Nmax 155 is the safest motorcycle I can think of for driving in cities such as Pattaya and Bangkok.  It's got ABS and disc brakes front and rear, so on a 280 pound machine it has terrific stopping power.  Its handling in city conditions is supreme.  And for some reason it stays glued to the road even in the rain.  It is in my opinion the best all around bike for Thailand at any price.  You can do just about anything with it short of high speed driving on the motorways, which by law you cannot take a bike on anyway.

In Thailand road conditions the Nmax is fast.  For example, an Italian restaurant owner friend of mine has a friend who drove his Nmax from Pattaya to Chiang Mai in just 11 hours.  Google maps shows that by car you can drive to Chiang Mai in a bit over 10 hours, provided you use the motorways.  Obviously I can identity with those who feel the need for a real motorcycle that's much more powerful than most scooter type bikes.  Because I am that kind of guy.  But one should know what he's doing driving one while  being scared sh--less of all the idiots he has to share the road with .  

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, jackcorbett said:

I would listen to most of the replies here.  As already mentioned, Thailand is a very dangerous place to drive a bike.  But it's not in the top three or four countries in the world.  Thailand has the most lethal roads in the world, bar none.  

I have over fifty years of experience driving all sorts of bikes, from dirt bikes to a 140 mph BMW K-100 RS.  So, like others here I have motorcycles in my blood.  I presently own two bikes, a 155 c.c. Yamaha Nmax and a 900 c.c. Triumph Bonneville, Street Twin.  I have the Triumph because I love bikes and it is a true classic that brings me back to my younger days.  Do I need it?  No way.

I very seldom drive my Triumph at night here in Pattaya.  There are several reasons for this.  First off a bright red Triumph sends a message to any policemen in the area.  "Here's a rich falang with lots of money to give me."  So it's not a good idea to be flashing my wallet at night, especially if I've been drinking.   The second reason is a 200 kg Triumph does not drive at all like a 127 kg Yamaha Nmax.  I am used to the sharp turning ability of the Nmax and my ability to throw a 280 pound bike around.  One cannot do this with a much bigger bike such as a Triumph.  Try to do what you  can do with a "scooter" on a 900 c.c. Triumph and the weight of the much bigger bike is going to take you down.  The third reason is the "little" Nmax 155 is the safest motorcycle I can think of for driving in cities such as Pattaya and Bangkok.  It's got ABS and disc brakes front and rear, so on a 280 pound machine it has terrific stopping power.  Its handling in city conditions is supreme.  And for some reason it stays glued to the road even in the rain.  It is in my opinion the best all around bike for Thailand at any price.  You can do just about anything with it short of high speed driving on the motorways, which by law you cannot take a bike on anyway.

In Thailand road conditions the Nmax is fast.  For example, an Italian restaurant owner friend of mine has a friend who drove his Nmax from Pattaya to Chiang Mai in just 11 hours.  Google maps shows that by car you can drive to Chiang Mai in a bit over 10 hours, provided you use the motorways.  Obviously I can identity with those who feel the need for a real motorcycle that's much more powerful than most scooter type bikes.  Because I am that kind of guy.  But one should know what he's doing driving one while  being scared sh--less of all the idiots he has to share the road with .  

A great post, mate. "The second reason is a 200 kg Triumph does not drive at all like a 127 kg Yamaha Nmax."

I also have bikes in my blood, basically grew up with them, and they were always part of my life.

My current bike weighs 250 kg wet, then 76 kg from me, plus 50 something from my partner. 

Dealing with 370 kg and lots of traffic can be very stressful, even for experienced riders. 

Start with a smaller bike, and when you feel safe, then go for a bigger one.

But never start with a big bike. 

The Thai people here with a brand new big bike ride proudly at full speed, but usually not very long, and you don't see them again. 

You'd only become one more in the statistic of death. 

Emma bro with jacket cold.jpg

Edited by teacherclaire
  • Thanks 1

On 12/1/2020 at 8:18 AM, NCC1701A said:

if you don't know how to ride a big bike the first thing that will happen is you will drop it. 

suggest you start looking at YouTube how to ride videos then practice turning and stopping in a remote place like a empty Makro parking lot. emergency avoidance of a object is critical to learn. mastering a proper u-turn on a big bike takes time and is very difficult to do in Thailand because of the constantly changing madness that is going on all around you. 

i have  a Honda click 125cc and a Kawasaki Versys 650cc. 37,000 kilometers all over Thailand on the Versys and no accidents. However I don't drink and I plan everything I do far in advance. Riding the Click is super easy. The Kawasaki is a big physical effort.

have you ever worn riding gear in Thailand? I am covered head to toe when I go out out on the big bike. Just that alone is a challenge in this heat and humidity. make sure you invest in a proper helmet. boots that you can slam your feet down without any hesitation and give you good traction and cover your ankles would be next followed by gloves. this would be bare minimum to wear while practicing. 

the Kawasaki is so much more difficult to maneuver in traffic. It is very heavy. parking is difficult and requires more space. Duck walking the bike is hard to do. 

i would buy a Kawasaki 300cc Ninja if you want to go fast and have a bike you can drop and scrape up and learn on and then buy something larger after a year or so. many used bikes now. 

and there is another issue. the "muscle memory" of switching between a automatic scooter and and manual big bike. in a emergency you will default to years of what you do on a scooter which is to hit both hand brakes. if you do that on a big bike one will be the clutch and you are dead. it takes time to overcome this automatic reaction. 

good luck.

I'd instead like to die instantly than being braindead, hanging on machines for a few months.

I had my leg broken four times when I had a front brake malfunction where the front two disc brake was faulty, and one of these doctors made it all wrong. 

Not the pain was the issue, waiting eight months only to hear that all had to be cut into pieces and set together again while the da_n doctor told me in monthly intervals that I'll soon be riding again. 

I left Thailand, went to an excellent European bone surgery hospital, and received an artificial knee joint.

The whole station was diseased with a particular type of Staphylococcus Aureus.

A Microbiologist was needed to get the right treatment, plus an implanted pump with a heavy box and battery that sucked the shi_e out 24/7.

I even had to modify my wheelchair to make it to the canteen and to have a fag.

My drip and the sucker attached must have looked funny; most people looked down at me what a sorry ar_e I was. 

Of course, did I get the infection and almost lost my leg.

Then five more surgeries were needed, and I do not want to go into details now. 

A lady who received the same artificial knee joint at the same time had lost her leg, which made me speechless. 

You don't want to go through such extreme pain and inconvenience. Think twice. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 2

I have been riding in Thailand for almost 20 years now and I can say it is better you start on a 300 cc engine or less but that depends on where you live in Thailand. I live in the mountains and I find my Honda cbr650f too heavy in a lot of gravel roads and it is  not as flickable as I would like. So if your riding on good roads all the time ,I think a great bike to start on would be a Ninja 400 and a new one so you can brake it in yourself. Most Thais never even change the oil only top it up ,so buying a second hand one off a Thai is not a good idea.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I loved big bikes . But you pay for the mistakes somebody else makes . Sometimes with your life .

I know what I am talking about , broken bones more than enough ...

In Thailand more than somewhere else , you have to anticipate what will or might happen . You never know .

They come out from small sois to the main road without even looking at the traffic , some pick up driver coming from the opposite lane drops his phone ...

To have a realistic chance on 2 wheels in the long run , you need to drive slowly , but to do this , you do not need a big bike .

Edited by nobodysfriend
  • Thanks 2

On 11/30/2020 at 4:54 PM, screwman said:

I have absolutely no experience riding on open roads. Is it advisable to get my dream bike soon after getting my license or better to wait and ride a normal bike to gain experience first? I drive a lot in Thailand though as I am a salesman.

You need to ask this question? Its a joke right?

• Thanks 1

Kawasaki Z250SL seems to be a nice bike for the money.  http://www.kawasaki.co.th/en/motorcycle/z250sl

Weighs 151 kg (332 lb)  27.62 BHP at 9700 rpm and 22.6 Nm at 8200 rpm. Has ABS.  122,500 baht.
Shouldn't be a problem cruising at 95 - 110 km/h though it will go a good bit faster.  Review:  https://www.thebikemarket.co.uk/reviews/kawasaki-z250sl-2015

Riding in mixed traffic:

• Thanks 2

On 12/2/2020 at 5:32 PM, screwman said:

My dream since a kid is this bike riding in the countryside. Now that I am

older and can afford it and most importantly I’m lucky to be living in Thailand with great countrysides and having a stable job which is why only now I am thinking and planning of getting into this long awaited wish.

8CA43E6B-77AD-4EF8-8BB2-F4E57C4499D6.jpeg.143f5d0ae20acd2bc7f60cdfaf064950.jpeg

Now you're talking !!

2 hours ago, screwman said:

Certainly. Only major details are big bike = 400cc or more and starts February 19th.

So given that to obtain a big bike licence you will have to demonstrate experience (amount, still to be determined I believe) the answer to the OP's OQ is, you can't.

• Thanks 1

On 11/30/2020 at 11:54 PM, screwman said:

This is my first post in Thaivisa. I am 3 months to 55. Living in Bangkok for past 15 years. Never have a bike license. I have a Filano for me to go from home to 7-Eleven.

Since a teen many years ago I dream of having a big bike. Now that I am getting older I was thinking there's not much time left and I gotta do it now or never. So I intend to go get my riding license and after that go get a big bike (750-1200cc type). I have absolutely no experience riding on open roads. Is it advisable to get my dream bike soon after getting my license or better to wait and ride a normal bike to gain experience first? I drive a lot in Thailand though as I am a salesman.

Go for it and fulfill your dream, you might regret not having done it. Look for some proper training for beginners before you hit the roads and than have fun !

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, screwman said:

Certainly. Only major details are big bike = 400cc or more and starts February 19th.

All other details pending.

There are plenty of bikes in the three hundred range that are good like the cbr300f or the honda rebel or the Yamaha R3  all good starter bikes

• Like 1

My take on this; I had big bikes - 650-750 mainly - in the UK for years.  Here (Pattaya) I bumble around on a 150.  I am planning to upgrade to a 350 "big scooter" to see more of Thailand.  IMO, with a top speed of 150kph, it's as fast as I'd want to go on Thai roads.

I'd say not to go straight to a big bike, get an old 200-250 with gears and learn on that, it's very different to your scooter.

Oh, and get a bloody licence would you!

• Thanks 1