No alcohol can be bought or sold online from next week

webfact

Just received this from a company I've bought some wine from

Dear Customer,
From the 7th of December onwards, online sales of alcohol is prohibited by law.

You can still continue to buy from us directly:

They then proceed to give the email address????

It's sad that small businesses are being treated in this way, probably just so the big brewers can reduce the competition. I hope they find ways around it or that one day we'll get a Government that rethinks the alcohol sales laws, which started tightening as part of Purachai's social order campaign under Thaksin and have got progressively worse under the current lot.

4 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

There is not the expertise on wines here either. No sommaliers, no experts... it is a barren country for wines.

Then Thailand is the exact opposite of China in this respect; you can get imported (mostly French) wines in major supermarket chains at close to French prices in any Chinese city.

AND really cheap, drinkable wine from Taobao. I got a few $2 bottles from Taobao last year on a whim. I assumed they'd be totally undrinkable, but they turned out comparable to the cheaper supermarket wines (better than Don Simon, not as good as some of the other low-end marques I'd tried). My sommelier-trained neighbor dubbed them 'ordinary but perfectly drinkable' :p. It seems they were bulk-shipped from France & bottled in China. With one exception*, every cheap Chinese wine I've tried over many years on and off going to China has been terrible, but apparently good Chinese wine is now world class, just very expensive.

*A wine made from Ningxia gouji berries!

16 hours ago, TSF said:

Keep this up and we may as well move to Muslim Malaysia and enjoy some freedoms.

Not so fast mate ???? I'd venture to say that Thailand, despite its shortcomings, is still a notch above Muslim Malaysia when it comes to such things.

https://www.therakyatpost.com/2020/12/04/non-halal-section-in-brand-new-supermarket-boarded-up-after-protest-by-local-assemblyman/

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/new-liquor-ban-in-kuala-lumpur-ignites-debate-on-race-and-religion

Edited by outsider

3 minutes ago, MasterBaker said:

I see big Singha billboard from my window, let's just wait what happens with it on Monday

Nothing at all will happen with it, because alcohol advertising billboard are banned for years already.

“From Monday, December 7, the sale and advertisement of alcoholic beverages online will be prohibited,” deputy police spokesman Pol Colonel Siriwat Deephor said. “Direct selling, persuading consumers, introducing products or other related services via digital channels that enable sellers to complete a sale without meeting the buyer face to face will be banned.”

Would this mean that deliveries using cash on delivery could be still technically allowed? Assuming the seller would e.g. use their own delivery guys that would meet the buyer face-to-face before completing the sale. I guess they can't even list their inventory online with the new rules. 

What a backwards country.

amazing Thailand, the story next to this, Thailand number 1 destination for tourists, as I have said many a time to many politicians, with their own ideas and no commutations with other politicians, the s---- will hit the fan if one of them gets the virus

The sole reason that this has been introduced is because of the cameras that some bars in Bangkok and Pattaya have introduced. In an effort to stay in business and to give the girls an income these bars have via these cams been encouraging remote customers to buy them a drink via Paypal. I have seen trays of shots bought for the whole staff. These are causing problems. There was a well published issue were a girl was pretending to drink Tequilia when it was in fact water. Personally I hate any camera in a bar that I am drinking in and as far as I am concerned, its good riddence. However its best that you people in the rural areas of Thailand understand why this has happened.

Sorry i do not get it. Every week new rules are coming out just for sake of new rules. as a tourist i never bought   alcohol  on line but there in Australia  i buy most of wine on line.

I   now know why lots of Farangs are leaving Thailand and coming back to Australia or finding different destinations.

I  thought to retire in Thailand but things have changed so much over the years for the worse and best to stay put.

18 hours ago, TSF said:

Keep this up and we may as well move to Muslim Malaysia and enjoy some freedoms.

Yes, like far too many countries, they are taking over, the thing is most of what the more rabid ones forbid, you will find most of them do partake in secret/private venues, like adult entertainment and alcohol for instance.