SCB charge for Debit Card?

giddyup

Just got a text message from SCB bank that a fee of 599 baht will be taken from my account for the Debit Card. I don't recall this happening before, unless it was just taken automatically without advising me. Seems a pretty steep fee for the use of a card that allows you to make ATM withdrawals or cash payments.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Just got a text message from SCB bank that a fee of 699 baht will be taken from my account for the Debit Card.

Seems excessive I only paid 200 Baht for mine in March, only use it as ATM card, but it has Chip & Pin and the Mastercard logo so should work as Debit Card

• Like 1

K-Bank has 2 levels of debit/ATM cards at different prices. What I did notice the other week is that the yellow ATMs are now charging 10 baht to withdraw cash. I tried some other ATMs and they didn't charge it (yet). 

1 hour ago, dabhand said:

SCB charge me 200baht per year for the debit card. Also pay 20baht per month for the SMS alerts. Maybe your higher charge has an insurance element?

So you pay 240 baht a year for the alerts?

5 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Seems excessive I only paid 200 Baht for mine in March, only use it as ATM card, but it has Chip & Pin and the Mastercard logo so should work as Debit Card

I've got a similar card from SCB, 200 Baht a year. I've tried using it as a debit card to pay for stuff online, but it's never worked. No idea why, as my account usually has a couple of hundred thousand Baht in it.

K-Bank and Krungsri both have free card-less withdrawals with no annual fees.

I assume all the other banks do as well, but I don't use them. I do have a Bangkok Bank account as well, but I can't access it online...

Edited by Yellowtail
added text
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, giddyup said:

Seems the bank has been ripping me off for years. They have been taking 599 baht which includes insurance, even though I am now 78, 8 years past the maximum insurance age of 70. So they have taken an extra 399 baht a year for 8 years unnecessarily. The chances of getting a refund. Zero.

So you haven't exactly been monitoring your account very well for all these years if you have only just noticed it - and only because they sent you a text........

I've given up on the ATM card, kept losing them or leaving them in the ATM machine. Now I just use my smart phone with the cardless option. Only good on SCB ATMs but I can live with that especially with scan and pay for a lot of transactions. I still get a B200 annual fee which I was told was for my ATM card but is really an account fee and replacing the card has a B100 administrative fee. About the same or less than my overseas accounts. Citibank USA charge me $25/month if my balance goes below $25,000!!

• Haha 1

As i recall SCB, like most of the major commercial banks, has several different debit cards. The only difference - aside from the basic ATM use and PIN purchasing abilities, is that some have more “perks” added than others- and I remember that the annual fee varies as well.

So... I might hazard a guess that the OP has one of SCBs more perk-heavy card as opposed to their base model.

21 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

Some cards are more than others. Mine is 200 baht p.a., a Union Pay one, but I recall the Mastercard one is more. I expect we get used to 'Free' bank accounts in the West, but break a condition (like overdrawing) and you pay seriously. Overall Thai  accounts do not seem expensive. 

22 hours ago, JensenZ said:

K-Bank has 2 levels of debit/ATM cards at different prices. What I did notice the other week is that the yellow ATMs are now charging 10 baht to withdraw cash. I tried some other ATMs and they didn't charge it (yet). 

They've actually got at least five different debit cards, with annual fees of 200, 599, 999 and 1,599 Baht, the more expensive ones come with various bells and whistles add ons, many of which are usually not worth the paper they're written on.

https://www.scb.co.th/en/personal-banking/cards/debit-cards.html

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

what is perhaps more annoying is that my wife's bank charge her 20 Baht to deposit money.  Outrageous, but it is what it is. 

Is that because you are not using the branch where she opened the account and the fee is to transfer the money? If using the same branch, there should not be a fee... 

• Like 1

Just got a text message from SCB bank that a fee of 599 baht will be taken from my account for the Debit Card. I don't recall this happening before, unless it was just taken automatically without advising me. Seems a pretty steep fee for the use of a card that allows you to make ATM withdrawals or cash payments.

Edited 22 hours ago by giddyup

You are paying some sort of insurance included with the card.

They did the same to me years ago.

Just go into the bank and tell them you never asked for the insurance and they will take it off and refund you the difference.

My standard SCB debit card costs 200bt. They have just debited my account on 1st December.

• Like 1

With my last Krungsri ATM card a few years ago I was told it was free to use anywhere at any ATM and so it was until a few weeks ago when I used it in another province and was charged 20 baht. The “free anywhere” facility was taken away without any notice.

10 minutes ago, cauldlad said:

Edited 22 hours ago by giddyup

You are paying some sort of insurance included with the card.

They did the same to me years ago.

Just go into the bank and tell them you never asked for the insurance and they will take it off and refund you the difference.

My standard SCB debit card costs 200bt. They have just debited my account on 1st December.

That's 10 years of refunds totalling approx. 4000 baht, can't see them refunding that willingly.

21 hours ago, giddyup said:

Seems the bank has been ripping me off for years. They have been taking 599 baht which includes insurance, even though I am now 78, 8 years past the maximum insurance age of 70. So they have taken an extra 399 baht a year for 8 years unnecessarily. The chances of getting a refund. Zero.

Yes you are correct, I had a similar thing with my own bank in Europe, they charged me for insurance on my credit card that was not valid in Thailand but that was about 5000 baht a year ???? so your rip off is still cheap ???? However, when opening an account they ask if you want an ATM and propose the two options. So, who did open that account? You must have been there as you have to show your passport, help to fill in the paperwork and sign the bankbook. Miscommunication from your part and than blame the bank?

22 minutes ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Yes you are correct, I had a similar thing with my own bank in Europe, they charged me for insurance on my credit card that was not valid in Thailand but that was about 5000 baht a year ???? so your rip off is still cheap ???? However, when opening an account they ask if you want an ATM and propose the two options. So, who did open that account? You must have been there as you have to show your passport, help to fill in the paperwork and sign the bankbook. Miscommunication from your part and than blame the bank?

When I opened the account they insisted on me paying two years up front but told me that it would only be valid until I turned 70, I was 68 at the time, but they have continued to debit my account of 599 baht every month for the last 10 years. My mistake for not monitoring my account more closely, agreed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fairynuff said:

With my last Krungsri ATM card a few years ago I was told it was free to use anywhere at any ATM and so it was until a few weeks ago when I used it in another province and was charged 20 baht. The “free anywhere” facility was taken away without any notice.

I think there has always been an out of province fee with the cards. 

Again, card-less has no annual fee and no withdrawal fees, so if all you're using the card for is to get cash it is really the only way to go.

If you use your ATM card like credit card, or outside the country, or can't be bothered to use one of your bank's ATMs you are pretty much stuck with paying fees. Unless of course you are using a no-fees card from a bank in your home country....

23 hours ago, giddyup said:

Have you asked?

• Like 1