SCB charge for Debit Card?

giddyup

43 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

I think there has always been an out of province fee with the cards. 

My branch made a point of telling me about the no fee anywhere card and for a number of years I used it as such all over the country. Since I was charged a fee out of province a few weeks ago I’ve gone mostly cardless.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

When I opened the account they insisted on me paying two years up front but told me that it would only be valid until I turned 70, I was 68 at the time, but they have continued to debit my account of 599 baht every month for the last 10 years. My mistake for not monitoring my account more closely, agreed.

I know, as told it did happen to me as well. I trusted that person at the bank as well.

3 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

So, who did open that account? You must have been there as you have to show your passport, help to fill in the paperwork and sign the bankbook. Miscommunication from your part and than blame the bank?

Personally I stand around looking at the ceiling and any cute employee that wanders by and let them get on with it, just respond to the 'sign here' requests. Heaven knows what I will be paying for one day.

• Like 1

On 12/7/2020 at 10:56 AM, JensenZ said:

K-Bank has 2 levels of debit/ATM cards at different prices. What I did notice the other week is that the yellow ATMs are now charging 10 baht to withdraw cash. I tried some other ATMs and they didn't charge it (yet). 

I thought they had stopped charges for withdrawals outside your area with the platinum card, tier 2 or whatever they call it now, but not the case.

We were up in KKC a couple of months back to buy land, I used my book to withdraw 500K and was paid a charge on that too, along with atm charges to withdraw daily cash.

Kasikorns defence now is .. you can do it online with no charge, but the seller said that the land office could not complete within one day if via Internet transfer.

Banks in Thailand get us at every hurdle.

On 12/7/2020 at 10:47 AM, foreverlomsak said:

Seems excessive I only paid 200 Baht for mine in March, only use it as ATM card, but it has Chip & Pin and the Mastercard logo so should work as Debit Card

Same, they deducted 200 THB annual fee a few days back, but you might have some other services enabled that they charged you for.

22 hours ago, Guderian said:

I've got a similar card from SCB, 200 Baht a year. I've tried using it as a debit card to pay for stuff online, but it's never worked. No idea why, as my account usually has a couple of hundred thousand Baht in it.

Because you haven’t asked for those functions to be enabled, it’s not automatic.

2 hours ago, oobar said:

Deposited 50k baht cash into my K-bank account at a branch in Sisaket a few years ago and was charged 500 baht.  Was outraged and shut down my account with them shortly thereafter and have had nothing to do with K-bank since.

Out of province charge and standard.

On 12/7/2020 at 10:37 AM, giddyup said:

Just got a text message from SCB bank that a fee of 599 baht will be taken from my account for the Debit Card. I don't recall this happening before, unless it was just taken automatically without advising me. Seems a pretty steep fee for the use of a card that allows you to make ATM withdrawals or cash payments.

Standard issue at every Bank..

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

I thought they had stopped charges for withdrawals outside your area with the platinum card, tier 2 or whatever they call it now, but not the case.

We were up in KKC a couple of months back to buy land, I used my book to withdraw 500K and was paid a charge on that too, along with atm charges to withdraw daily cash.

Kasikorns defence now is .. you can do it online with no charge, but the seller said that the land office could not complete within one day if via Internet transfer.

Banks in Thailand get us at every hurdle.

Same worldwide.....

On 12/7/2020 at 9:13 PM, Yellowtail said:

K-Bank and Krungsri both have free card-less withdrawals with no annual fees.

I assume all the other banks do as well, but I don't use them. I do have a Bangkok Bank account as well, but I can't access it online...

In Pattaya withdrawals using my K-Bank ATM/debit card are free, but they charge in other regions (even using K-Bank ATMs). All ATM's have been free to use in Pattaya until a month or so ago when the yellow ATM (Krungsri) charged me 10 baht. I thought maybe the era of free ATMs is over, but I tried another ATM (BKK Bank) and they were still free.

The K-Bank cardless withdrawal is a cool thing, but putting the ATM card into the machine is more convenient as it doesn't require you to set it up on your phone first. It's a good idea if you forgot, or lost you card.

There's a conspiracy between all banks to destroy Thai ATM/debit cards if they are left in the ATM. You cannot retrieve them. The only branch where I can get it back is from my home branch ATM (who goes to their home branch to use an ATM?). I suppose they do this for our protection? You have to buy a new one for 300 baht.

1 hour ago, JensenZ said:

In Pattaya withdrawals using my K-Bank ATM/debit card are free, but they charge in other regions (even using K-Bank ATMs). All ATM's have been free to use in Pattaya until a month or so ago when the yellow ATM (Krungsri) charged me 10 baht. I thought maybe the era of free ATMs is over, but I tried another ATM (BKK Bank) and they were still free.

The K-Bank cardless withdrawal is a cool thing, but putting the ATM card into the machine is more convenient as it doesn't require you to set it up on your phone first. It's a good idea if you forgot, or lost you card.

There's a conspiracy between all banks to destroy Thai ATM/debit cards if they are left in the ATM. You cannot retrieve them. The only branch where I can get it back is from my home branch ATM (who goes to their home branch to use an ATM?). I suppose they do this for our protection? You have to buy a new one for 300 baht.

Card-less is free to use and no annual fees. 

It is perhaps a little quicker to us the a card, but no more than thirty seconds, I think I can spare that every few weeks. 

Is not destroying the cards left in the machine what they should do?  In any event, I've never left my phone in an ATM....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/7/2020 at 9:13 PM, Yellowtail said:

K-Bank and Krungsri both have free card-less withdrawals with no annual fees.

I assume all the other banks do as well, but I don't use them. I do have a Bangkok Bank account as well, but I can't access it online...

How does the card-less withdrawal work? How does it identify the customer if there is no identification?

Edited by EricTh

8 minutes ago, jackdd said:

You use the app on your phone

what app? Never used any app before.

My phone doesn't have internet connection, will it work?

It only has Wi-fi but I doubt the bank provide free wi-fi to connect.

Edited by EricTh

6 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Ever considered moving to the 21st century?

• Confused 1

On 12/7/2020 at 10:37 AM, giddyup said:

Just got a text message from SCB bank that a fee of 599 baht will be taken from my account for the Debit Card. I don't recall this happening before, unless it was just taken automatically without advising me. Seems a pretty steep fee for the use of a card that allows you to make ATM withdrawals or cash payments.

You can choose the "Let's SCB Debit Card" and the annual fee is 200 baht. You seem to have the Plus card. That's 599 and comes with an insurance. 

You should be able to get the cheaper version if you want. 

Please see: Debit Card (scb.co.th)

Edited by teacherclaire

19 minutes ago, EricTh said:

The app from your bank for online banking.

If you don't have internet it won't work, in this case just stick with your ATM card.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, EricTh said:

All banks have a phone application these days. Your phone doesn't have internet, so how should that work? Where have you been in the last 20 years?

The bank doesn't have to provide free WIFI, you need it to get online and do what you wanna do. 

When you're downloading an application, you'll choose a password and most banks will do that for you.

I've got one from Bangkok Bank, one from SCB and another one from another bank.

It's very convenient because you can pay for your water, electricity, you can put money on your phone. Now most ATMS's work Cardless. You have to be online then follow the advice.

On 12/7/2020 at 4:03 PM, Guderian said:

I've got a similar card from SCB, 200 Baht a year. I've tried using it as a debit card to pay for stuff online, but it's never worked. No idea why, as my account usually has a couple of hundred thousand Baht in it.

I think that you might have to ask them to "turn on" that facility. Or ask them for a virtual card for internet shopping.

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Card-less is free to use and no annual fees. 

It is perhaps a little quicker to us the a card, but no more than thirty seconds, I think I can spare that every few weeks. 

Is not destroying the cards left in the machine what they should do?  In any event, I've never left my phone in an ATM....

It's great and allows you to withdraw money at any time. I often go out without my card, but mostly have my phone. 

What gets me is how the staff always ask when my card will expire or if I have insurance. Always trying to get a commission.

OP. most of the Thai banks have different levels of card, with different perks or levels of insurance. A bit like having a Bronze, Silver, or Gold card for example. You have probable signed up for one with a higher level of insurance. Not that it means much in terms of coverage.

3 minutes ago, phetphet said:

I think that you might have to ask them to "turn on" that facility. Or ask them for a virtual card for internet shopping.

What virtual card.? Depending on your income, or money on the bank, they allow you a daily limit. I have 500,000 baht per day. 

But only the bank can do that, it's always better to let them put the application on.

At Bangkok Bank it's only 50,000 baht.