Return to the UK

(Please put this in the correct forum)

After almost 35 years of living overseas I am forced by circumstances to return to the UK. Some 10 years ago I changed my resident status for the UK authorities to "Resident in Thailand" (I think the official blurb on the form called me a "UK citizen, not ordinarily resident for tax purposes" or some such grand title). I am told that for the first six months after return I will have no rights generally available to UK nationals, especially as far as the NHS treatment, certain welfare rights or state pension are concerned. Is this correct information. I would be most grateful for any relevant information, or the link to appropriate websites. Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Surelynot said:

You might run into problems when you try to register with a GP....they might query where your records are? Where have you been?

I had a similar problem returning from Germany after 25 years and it took a while to get sorted.

Thank you Surelynot. I am aware that it will not be easy (though, interestingly, I still have a GP whom I visited on average once every five years or so during my occasional trips to the UK). I asked for information primarily as I've only heard some widely different and unsubstantiated rumours.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, hobobo said:

Thank you Surelynot. I am aware that it will not be easy (though, interestingly, I still have a GP whom I visited on average once every five years or so during my occasional trips to the UK). I asked for information primarily as I've only heard some widely different and unsubstantiated rumours.

Too lazy to provide links beyond.      https://www.gov.uk/guidance/returning-to-the-uk..but I think the best place to start is .gov.uk......I do know, if people dig into your history you might have to "prove" you are returning permanently.....have you sold your house abroad, have you shipped all you domestic effects back to the UK...have you purchased property in the UK.....where are you now going to live etc.

36 minutes ago, hobobo said:

I am told that for the first six months after return I will have no rights generally available to UK nationals, especially as far as the NHS treatment, certain welfare rights or state pension are concerned. Is this correct information. I would be most grateful for any relevant information, or the link to appropriate websites. Thank you.

I thought it was infact the first 3 months you could be denied options other than emergency treatment.

However I believe if you show a clear intention to permanently now reside in the Uk you are entitled to all benefits from day one.

Im sure a more informed member can give concrete advice of the situation.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, sapson said:

I thought it was infact the first 3 months you could be denied options other than emergency treatment.

However I believe if you show a clear intention to permanently now reside in the Uk you are entitled to all benefits from day one.

Im sure a more informed member can give concrete advice of the situation.

Thank you sapson! I am also trying to obtain information from gov.uk, but due to coronavirus their sites are unbelievably complicated

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
19 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

This is definitely wrong. You're entitled to treatment from the day you arrive providing you can prove that you've returned permanently. See:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-the-nhs-when-you-return-to-live-in-the-uk

Thank you Moonlover. I am slowly getting there, though the coronavirus made most gov.uk sites an incredible maze with the usual "Was this page useful?" popping up after every paragraph - at least it seems so!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, hobobo said:

(Please put this in the correct forum)

After almost 35 years of living overseas I am forced by circumstances to return to the UK. Some 10 years ago I changed my resident status for the UK authorities to "Resident in Thailand" (I think the official blurb on the form called me a "UK citizen, not ordinarily resident for tax purposes" or some such grand title). I am told that for the first six months after return I will have no rights generally available to UK nationals, especially as far as the NHS treatment, certain welfare rights or state pension are concerned. Is this correct information. I would be most grateful for any relevant information, or the link to appropriate websites. Thank you.

Yes

6 minutes ago, polpott said:

And all you have to do to prove that you are returning permanently is say that you are. End of. You also need a UK address. If you are staying with a friend or family member, they may need to attend the GP's surgery with you, with documentary proof that they live there and vouch for you.

Thank you polpott. This is turning out to be the most frequent response. The relevant emphasis must be on "permanently" and, as you say, End of! My sincere (and only) intention. What 2022 will bring is anyone's guess?

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Muzzique said:

That's wrong. You just have to show that is move is to make the UK your home again. It's called the Habitual Residency Test.

I had one when returning after many years living in the USA. I just showed them my new apartment rental contract and it was closed.

You are entitled to all pensions, benefits and the NHS immediately on your return.

https://www.ageuk.org.uk/globalassets/age-uk/documents/factsheets/fs25_returning_from_abroad_fcs.pdf

Thanks for your reply Muzzique. It appears that you are absolutely right, and I was listening too much to uninformed opinions and raising my blood pressure through unnecessary worries. Maybe I won't need the NHS so urgently after all!

In terms of the NHS only, I have attached a document to this post that deals with whether you are ordinarily resident in the UK or not. In the document there is a list of actual questions that you might be asked, and I am sure there may be one or two you might not have expected.

As other people have mentioned though, you are not obliged to volunteer the fact that you have been out of the country, and in my opinion I would keep my mouth firmly shut about it unless I was directly asked. There have been a couple of cases in the press where returnees have been chatting away to the nurses and the next thing they know they have a rather large bill to pay.

As I stated, this is for the NHS only. The Department for Work & Pensions might have a different criteria, and it would be worth researching that as much as possible in advance.

I'm sorry that circumstances have put you in this position and I wish you well for the future. This forum can be a good resource, and I hope you will use it to sound out your options and to find advice.

Many members have walked down the same road you are facing, and I hope some of them will be able to offer you some advice based on their own experiences.

UK Department of Health Ordinary Residence Tool (December 2020).pdf

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, blackcab said:

In terms of the NHS only, I have attached a document to this post that deals with whether you are ordinarily resident in the UK or not. In the document there is a list of actual questions that you might be asked, and I am sure there may be one or two you might not have expected.

As other people have mentioned though, you are not obliged to volunteer the fact that you have been out of the country, and in my opinion I would keep my mouth firmly shut about it unless I was directly asked. There have been a couple of cases in the press where returnees have been chatting away to the nurses and the next thing they know they have a rather large bill to pay.

As I stated, this is for the NHS only. The Department for Work & Pensions might have a different criteria, and it would be worth researching that as much as possible in advance.

I'm sorry that circumstances have put you in this position and I wish you well for the future. This forum can be a good resource, and I hope you will use it to sound out your options and to find advice.

Many members have walked down the same road you are facing, and I hope some of them will be able to offer you some advice based on their own experiences.

UK Department of Health Ordinary Residence Tool (December 2020).pdf 261.81 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks for your informative reply blackcab. I received a fair amount of answers, and my mind is a lot clearer than it was 24 hours ago. You are right in saying that this forum can be a very useful resource, and I will certainly remain in touch during my absence from the LOS. At present my plan is to return to Thailand in 2022, but we all know what can happen to the most thought out plans... Thanks again, and all the best.

9 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:
10 hours ago, rott said:

Do you still have to do two weeks quarantine on return.?? 

No, not from "Covid-free" Thailand.

At the moment.

But check before you travel, especially with the recent increase in cases in Thailand.

Also, each of the four home countries have their own rules and restrictions; so check those where you will be living.

England

Northern Ireland 

Scotland

Wales

• Thanks 1
20 hours ago, lungbing said:

Don't forget to let the pensions people at Newcastle know so that your full pension is payable immediately and that you get the updates in future.  (assuming you're a pensioner that is)

Thanks lungbing. Yes to all of the above points.

17 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Did you read the pinned topic at the top of this forum ? Useful info and links.

I did indeed, CharlieH, though I hope that I won't need some of the "Down and Out". But one never knows, so... Thank you again

On 12/7/2020 at 12:08 PM, Moonlover said:

This is definitely wrong. You're entitled to treatment from the day you arrive providing you can prove that you've returned permanently. See:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-the-nhs-when-you-return-to-live-in-the-uk

This is correct, you do not even have to provide proof you are returning permanently, JUST MAKE THE STATEMENT YOU HAVE RETURNED PERMANENTLY, remember your govt pension will also be increased maybe you can contact pensions office in advance to speed this up, they are pretty helpful on the phone

Good luck, I hope to avoid this but if all else fails that would be where I would have to go

• Like 1

I returned 2 years ago, but to a different town.

1. I just went to a GP as a new patient (in a new town) told them which was my old surgery, no questions asked, no problem.

2. Also, if you need to open a bank account, Nationwide only required a current drivers licence as proof of address and ID. (Not sure about other banks).

3. If you've been out of the UK for more than 5 years car insurance can be extremely expensive (if you haven't had any car insurance overseas). I had to pay £1500 to cover a BMW 320i. One insurance company refused to offer cover at all. You might be able to be a 'named driver' on someone else's policy?

• Like 1