Tips For Staying Safe During Road Trips?

Just bought a used pickup truck. May put a motorbike in back eventually. For now, my folding bicycle fits behind passenger seat in a bag (English Brompton). 
I plan to travel around Thailand, to some usual places (with Westerners and hotels), but also to more remote places, where I may occasionally try sleeping in a mosquito tent in the back on a pad, or maybe in a tent on the ground.

So, any tips from those of you who may have done something similar re: staying safe? Specifically: Anything I might need to know about how to keep my truck and motorbike (in future), safe from people who might try to steal or break in to them? I do have theft insurance on the truck, but of course hope never to have to use it.
Or maybe Thailand is just basically a safe place, and for the most part people will leave me and my belongings alone?

(Helpful responses only please.)

Places where one can camp in the more remote places are typically in National Parks, and so have guards on duty, or at least in the vicinity, 24/7. I have toured around both by motorbike and by car, and never once had an issue with theft or break-ins. As you point out, Thailand is quite a safe country in this regard. Generally there are guards of some form everywhere.

I would be more careful with a motorbike, because thieves (even in cities) can just hoist then onto the back of a pick-up and drive off. I wouldn't leave one overnight where it would be unattended or away from watchful eyes. Ideally park it close to where you will sleep, or pay a park official to keep an eye on it if you are going to wander off for a day or so. Twice I parked in a near-by resort and offered a parking fee to the owners.

• Like 1

On 12/9/2020 at 11:06 PM, OliverKlozerof said:

Just bought a used pickup truck. May put a motorbike in back eventually. For now, my folding bicycle fits behind passenger seat in a bag (English Brompton). 
I plan to travel around Thailand, to some usual places (with Westerners and hotels), but also to more remote places, where I may occasionally try sleeping in a mosquito tent in the back on a pad, or maybe in a tent on the ground.

So, any tips from those of you who may have done something similar re: staying safe? Specifically: Anything I might need to know about how to keep my truck and motorbike (in future), safe from people who might try to steal or break in to them? I do have theft insurance on the truck, but of course hope never to have to use it.
Or maybe Thailand is just basically a safe place, and for the most part people will leave me and my belongings alone?

(Helpful responses only please.)

Take a good medical kit and get vaccinated for malaria, Japanese encephalitis and rabies for remote locations.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CrunchWrapSupreme said:

Because of the legendary terrible road conditions. Lighting is often sparse. You'll never know where gaping potholes or collapsed portions of road are.

Also, the fake "broken down vehicle" or "accident" scams. Something lying out in the road, blocking your path, waiting for you to stop and help. Then you know what happens, under the cover of darkness. Father in law has warned me of these.

Leave in the morning, drive until sundown, then it's time to pop in to the next roadside resort you find, of which there'll be many.

Not only the roads are dangerous. No ordinary girl/ woman would go out at night alone.

There're no coppers around. If something happens, you're on your own. Many Thais have loaded guns in their cars and pull the trigger before they lose face.

Always stay calm, never show somebody the middle finger, even when they deserve it. Never get into a fight; even when you beat one, he'll be back with ten others.

Be careful when people are too friendly and have something that you can use as a weapon. You might have an excellent iron to jack up your truck or similar.

Don't drive long distances at night. There are often cars, trucks, and other vehicles on the road without light. Then you can bet money on dogs, buffaloes, and other animals. 

Stay at places where other people are, never in a remote area you're not familiar with.

Don't drink out of an offered glass or bottle; it could be spiked. And do not be at the wrong place at the wrong time. 

And get an LED light with a long cable that you can attach to your cigarette lighter. Should you have problems with the car, you have at least light.

Buy a can of fluid when you have a flat tire. You only fill in the can at the tire's valve and the tire is good to go. It allows you to drive some km to change the tire, or get it fixed. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Did this about 35 years ago.

Same rules apply. Park in a well lit area.

Very easy and common nowadays because of so many large and well equipped service stations. Here you can park up, take a shower and eat before going to sleep in the back of your truck. Just throw down an isaan

folding mattress and put up a mosquito net and you are good to go.

Dont bother with a carryboy cover on your pickup because they are too hot for sleeping under.

Outside of gas stations other areas can be tried but carry greater risk.

Beaches are ok but jungle areas best avoided if solo sleeping. Probably get away with it but could also turn out deadly if you are unlucky.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Bangyai said:

Very easy and common nowadays because of so many large and well equipped service stations. Here you can park up, take a shower and eat before going to sleep in the back of your truck. Just throw down an isaan

folding mattress and put up a mosquito net and you are good to go.

Good point.

8 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

Not only the roads are dangerous. No ordinary girl/ woman would go out at night alone.

There're no coppers around. If something happens, you're on your own. Many Thais have loaded guns in their cars and pull the trigger before they lose face.

Always stay calm, never show somebody the middle finger, even when they deserve it. Never get into a fight; even when you beat one, he'll be back with ten others.

Be careful when people are too friendly and have something that you can use as a weapon. You might have an excellent iron to jack up your truck or similar.

Don't drive long distances at night. There are often cars, trucks, and other vehicles on the road without light. Then you can bet money on dogs, buffaloes, and other animals. 

Stay at places where other people are, never in a remote area you're not familiar with.

Don't drink out of an offered glass or bottle; it could be spiked. And do not be at the wrong place at the wrong time. 

And get an LED light with a long cable that you can attach to your cigarette lighter. Should you have problems with the car, you have at least light.

Buy a can of fluid when you have a flat tire. You only fill in the can at the tire's valve and the tire is good to go. It allows you to drive some km to change the tire, or get it fixed. 

If he reads your post he wont be going anywhere

On 12/9/2020 at 11:06 PM, OliverKlozerof said:

Just bought a used pickup truck.

Don't carry any drugs without a prescription.

Buy a GPS tracker for your truck. I have this one. it has a vibration alarm.

google TKStar TK915. 

plan your route in advance using Google maps "My Places" so you are not distracted trying to figure out where you are going while driving. and plan your rest stops in the same way as well. 

good luck. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2020 at 10:30 PM, teacherclaire said:

dont vehicles have spare wheels ??????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

On 12/11/2020 at 6:23 AM, canthai55 said:

Travel half way around the world, buy a truck and a motorcycle, and sleep in a gas station parking lot. 555

...and I was going to suggest. Always stay in a hotel that has 24hr security guard.????

On 12/10/2020 at 10:30 PM, teacherclaire said:

Paranoid much...yes unseen potholes and sleeping ???? but bad people you're in Thailand not Detroit or L.A.