Driving On Ko Chang...Easy?

Pattaya Spotter

How easy is it to drive from the ferry landing on Ko Chang to the resort areas on the island? I've read and seen videos that the terrain is quite mountainous in places and that the road is not in good condition in others. During non-rainy season, will a standard sedan have any difficulty getting around the island?

Also, is there a secure mainland parking lot at the ferry terminal to leave a car while staying on the island?

Edited by Pattaya Spotter

3 hours ago, Upnotover said:

Yes it's easy.  There is one section of road between the ferry and White Sand Beach which is steep and has sharp bends, but nothing a normal car and driver can't handle.  Take a drive on google street view to check it out.  I would never dream of going there without a car as otherwise you are at the mercy of baht buses to go anywhere.

Thanks for the feedback...I've watched a couple YouTube videos of people driving their vehicles up what appears to be a steep and curvy mountain road. I'm thinking of the Centara, which I believe is about halfway across the island from the ferry landing. My car also has a low ground clearance.

• Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Thanks for the feedback...I've watched a couple YouTube videos of people driving their vehicles up what appears to be quite a steep and curvy mountain road. I'm thinking of the Centara, which I believe is about halfway across the island from the ferry landing. 

Yep, stayed close to that resort 4 or 5 times.  Absolutely no issues to drive there from the ferry.

• Like 2

On Koh Chang be careful of tourists on motorbikes. I nearly killed a couple when they lost control and slid across the road in front of me. Was informed by locals more than a few motorbike topurists killed in road accidents on Koh Chang. personally I prefer the vibe on Koh Samet.

Edited by simple1
  • Like 2

i have driven around all the main horse shoe road on Koh Chang in a honda city, when it was 5 or 6 years old and no problems with the hills, but have to be careful of the pot holes, the more remote east side of the island isn't as hilly as the west side, as the west side road gets further away from the ferry it narrows down quite a bit

have a great time

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Thanks for the feedback...I've watched a couple YouTube videos of people driving their vehicles up what appears to be a steep and curvy mountain road. I'm thinking of the Centara, which I believe is about halfway across the island from the ferry landing. My car also has a low ground clearance.

yes, that hill at the lagoon at the bottom is about half way around, ground clearance is not the issue,

the issue will be if your vehicle has low enough gear for the power of your motor, some scooters lose balance when it goes too slow and they have to gear down, but i cant see how a car would run into issues lest its under powered from a worn out engine, or perhaps traction if the wheels has no pattern

• Like 1

I guess it depends on your car and your skills.  I have a Honda City and have driven all over KC with no problems. 

Yes, it's steep in places, but on the way to the Centara, only a few sections are tough.  We're just back from a week on KC.

I would NOT recommend inexperienced scooter drivers to try this.  It's tough on a bike.  But super easy in a car.  Rain is another big factor, but not this time of year.  Forget August! LOL

What kind of car do you have?

• Like 1

Fell off a motorbike there some twelve years back going up a very steep hairpin bend. Some idiot coming down cut the bend and I didn't have the speed to swerve out of the way, so I just dropped the bike. No real injuries but had to pay for some bent parts and scratches (on the bike that is).

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jeffr2 said:

I guess it depends on your car and your skills.  I have a Honda City and have driven all over KC with no problems. 

Yes, it's steep in places, but on the way to the Centara, only a few sections are tough.  We're just back from a week on KC.

I would NOT recommend inexperienced scooter drivers to try this.  It's tough on a bike.  But super easy in a car.  Rain is another big factor, but not this time of year.  Forget August! LOL

What kind of car do you have?

Honda Accord with the 2.4 litre engine.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Fell off a motorbike there some twelve years back going up a very steep hairpin bend. Some idiot coming down cut the bend and I didn't have the speed to swerve out of the way, so I just dropped the bike. No real injuries but had to pay for some bent parts and scratches (on the bike that is).

Unfortunately this is very common in ???????? 

• Like 1

With a car it should not be an issue getting around.

However I saw many people with cars and numberplates other than Trat that stopped somewhere on a steep part of the road, even in these hairpins and did not want to go any further.

I also now of people who turned around and went back to the ferry.

With motorbikes it's a diffent story, just too many accidents.

Info from police is 6 reported motorbike accidents per day and 1 dead per week, but that was in high season when all the unexpierienced farang riders rented  motorbikes. Yes and some Thai and Kahmen riders are absolutely driving stupid. Should not affect you in a car unless they crash into you.

You can park your car safely at the parkinglot of Kohchang Ferries and also past the ticket booth on Centrepoint Ferries.

However bath busses are a pain in the A...

And rainy season is a completly different matter. No rain now.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cucme said:

With a car it should not be an issue getting around.

However I saw many people with cars and numberplates other than Trat that stopped somewhere on a steep part of the road, even in these hairpins and did not want to go any further.

I also now of people who turned around and went back to the ferry.

With motorbikes it's a diffent story, just too many accidents.

Info from police is 6 reported motorbike accidents per day and 1 dead per week, but that was in high season when all the unexpierienced farang riders rented  motorbikes. Yes and some Thai and Kahmen riders are absolutely driving stupid. Should not affect you in a car unless they crash into you.

You can park your car safely at the parkinglot of Kohchang Ferries and also past the ticket booth on Centrepoint Ferries.

However bath busses are a pain in the A...

And rainy season is a completly different matter. No rain now.

Thanks for your input...yes I would be going this "Winter" so not rainy season. You mention two different ferries...do you recommend one or are they both the same? I'm the type that when I get to my resort I just chill there so would only use the baht busses to get to and from the resort, so leaving the car on the mainland wouldn't really be an issue.

West side unbelievably dangerous. Seen a minibus over the edge recently on the curve of death. Numerous boy racers from overseas come horrible croppers cos of eg sand on road, adverse camber, precipitous descent. But the East coast is lovely. Undeveloped (very few beaches), empty roads, beautiful scenery, and Ao Salak Phet at the end of the drive. Seafood over the sea. Wouldn't go near the West coast.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Honda Accord with the 2.4 litre engine.

No worries!  I've never experienced this before, but one of the ferries we just used caused us to bottom out big time when getting off.  Getting on was no biggie.  People in cars like yours were letting everyone out of their car before exiting, and going across the bump sideways.  Just a note.

Otherwise, you'll be fine!  It's a great island to explore.  Don't forget the other side and Salakphet seafood!  Amazing.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, bradiston said:

West side unbelievably dangerous. Seen a minibus over the edge recently on the curve of death. Numerous boy racers from overseas come horrible croppers cos of eg sand on road, adverse camber, precipitous descent. But the East coast is lovely. Undeveloped (very few beaches), empty roads, beautiful scenery, and Ao Salak Phet at the end of the drive. Seafood over the sea. Wouldn't go near the West coast.

Been driving the West coast for almost 20 years.  Never a problem 

• Like 1

Generally speaking the west side is the more tedious.... quite a few sharp bends and hairpins between the Ferry Port and the beginning of Whitesands.... once in Whitesands the road is pretty flat and straight and then you will go upwards towards Chai Chet.. past Chai Chet towards Kai Bae it is flat as well with one or two sharp bends.... the dangerous part is leaving Kai Bae and driving up into the mountains to reach Lonely beach (had 2/3 accidents here myself over the years on bike i.e. rain, oil/garbage spill) there are loads of sharp turns and a naughty hairpin and s-bend to navigate down to Lonely beach (seen many an accident here with cars as well as bikes). Please note also that sometimes the road/street lights here at night can be intermittent if working or not and this area is also notorious for accidents that are caused by the following...

1.rain

2.landslides

3.garbage trucks leaving gunk on the roads

4. Monkeys leaving discarded food on road.

5. Oil slicks in any form or variety

6. Sand blown on to the road 

7. other drivers (Thais and Foreigners) not giving way or driving fast especially thinking the mountains are a rally circuit of some variety

Once leaving  Lonely Beach it’s a little hilly and twisty driving further along to Bang Bao pier on a similar but smaller scale to the mountains you pass in between Kai Bai and Lonely Beach previously...

Common sense prevails when driving in these conditions and definitely a hell of a lot safer by car than bike...

regarding the east side it is actually a breeze and fairly flat driving all the way to  Salek Pet and the fishermans Village... well work the drive and nice small run restaurants to stop off and eat/visit.

Car is best no doubt, but if using a bike as most do please be fully aware of road conditions and defo wear a helmet!!!

if possible when planning your journey try and get a map of the island or when you arrive take a moment or two to stop of and pick up the The Koh Chang guide booklet (usually available from most hotels, restaurants, even the Ferry if your lucky,  or shops, just ask anyone) or even online as it is a source of valuable information about the island as well as having detailed maps inside)

hope you have an enjoyable trip and safe travels ????

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, APJ291 said:

Generally speaking the west side is the more tedious.... quite a few sharp bends and hairpins between the Ferry Port and the beginning of Whitesands.... once in Whitesands the road is pretty flat and straight and then you will go upwards towards Chai Chet.. past Chai Chet towards Kai Bae it is flat as well with one or two sharp bends.... the dangerous part is leaving Kai Bae and driving up into the mountains to reach Lonely beach (had 2/3 accidents here myself over the years on bike i.e. rain, oil/garbage spill) there are loads of sharp turns and a naughty hairpin and s-bend to navigate down to Lonely beach (seen many an accident here with cars as well as bikes). Please note also that sometimes the road/street lights here at night can be intermittent if working or not and this area is also notorious for accidents that are caused by the following...

1.rain

2.landslides

3.garbage trucks leaving gunk on the roads

4. Monkeys leaving discarded food on road.

5. Oil slicks in any form or variety

6. Sand blown on to the road 

7. other drivers (Thais and Foreigners) not giving way or driving fast especially thinking the mountains are a rally circuit of some variety

Once leaving  Lonely Beach it’s a little hilly and twisty driving further along to Bang Bao pier on a similar but smaller scale to the mountains you pass in between Kai Bai and Lonely Beach previously...

Common sense prevails when driving in these conditions and definitely a hell of a lot safer by car than bike...

regarding the east side it is actually a breeze and fairly flat driving all the way to  Salek Pet and the fishermans Village... well work the drive and nice small run restaurants to stop off and eat/visit.

Car is best no doubt, but if using a bike as most do please be fully aware of road conditions and defo wear a helmet!!!

if possible when planning your journey try and get a map of the island or when you arrive take a moment or two to stop of and pick up the The Koh Chang guide booklet (usually available from most hotels, restaurants, even the Ferry if your lucky,  or shops, just ask anyone) or even online as it is a source of valuable information about the island as well as having detailed maps inside)

hope you have an enjoyable trip and safe travels ????

Thank you for the detailed reply. I'll definitely look for that map.

• Like 1

The road is narrow and has some hairpin curves but not that bad. I was there in Nov.  Watch out for the motorcyclists though. One day a guy on a larger bike zoomed to pass us and had too much speed for the curve ahead and narrowly avoided mangling himself on the Guardrail across the road.  The next day I was going into a curve on the back side of the island and a 16 year old kid on a motorbike coming the opposite direction lost control. Luckily for him I wasn't going that fast and came to a stop before he hit us. His helmet cracked in half. But he only ended up with some minor roadrash on his leg and hand. He told us he forgot to put his kickstand up. It kept him from turning when he leaned into the curve. I lost a few hours doing police and insurance reports that day and the next. 

• Like 1

Back in the late 80'd early 90's very few people brought cars over as the roads were pretty bad shape and not a lot were paved.  In addition the fare for a car was pretty high back then.  Instead there were places near the ferry terminal to park your car.  Later the price was lowered so some people began to bring their cars.  There are a few steep hills but most cars can get up the hills ok.  It's a little harder after it rains and the roads are wet.  Just be careful when driving and you'll be ok.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Hanuman2547 said:

Back in the late 80'd early 90's very few people brought cars over as the roads were pretty bad shape and not a lot were paved.  In addition the fare for a car was pretty high back then.  Instead there were places near the ferry terminal to park your car.  Later the price was lowered so some people began to bring their cars.  There are a few steep hills but most cars can get up the hills ok.  It's a little harder after it rains and the roads are wet.  Just be careful when driving and you'll be ok.

We normally stay in Kai Bae area.  We've got quite a few friends living on the island, and get offers to go visit them in Lonely Beach or over on the other side of the island.  I politely say no as I'm not sure I'd want to drive those hilly roads late at night.  During the day, easy peasy.

Rasta View near Bang Bao is a great place for lunch on a beautiful day.  What a view!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

I have just returned from Koh Chang Island, yes the roads are very windy, steep and narrow. From the ferry to the White sands area is ok, but after that, the roads deteriated right through to Koh Bang. If your car is fairly newish you'll be OK. I have an SUV, no problems. I was a bit disappointed with the Island as a whole, after the first 2-3 klms, the place looks deserted and very run down, possibly due to the Virus, however, what I saw I suspect was like this before the Virus. After the hotel you have mentioned there is very little beach access anywhere and almost zero parking. We stayed at the Klong Prao Resort at white sands. Very happy with this place. If you want more info PM me. Happy to help.