How to ship fiancée's clothes to USA?

13 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

It depends also of the duration of her stay (2 weeks isn't the same than 2 months) and the

activities you plan to do together. (Some sports for example require specifics clothes)

Pretty sure you don't go for a fiancee visa just to go on holiday neither do you ship extra luggage. Looks like OP is talking about a "permanent" move.

4 minutes ago, Salerno said:

Pretty sure you don't go for a fiancee visa just to go on holiday neither do you ship extra luggage. Looks like OP is talking about a "permanent" move.

Yes i just read about the K1 and see what kind of visa it is

i am not american so i wasn't aware of this type of visa.

However and on a more general view, i have learned something 

during few decades in contact with thousands of thai people

in their mind,  nothing is permanent, the OP will have probably to deal with that

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

I so much like the word "fiancée".

Yes sorry. A K1 visa gives us 90 days in US to get married.  Known each other  35 months.   Many of her clothes are never  worn things.   She is thrifty but seems to enjoy shopping.  Buys things but then has no where to go to wear them.  I am not having luck getting her to try on everything on video chat  so we can sort it #1  Bring,

#2 keep at moms for next visit, 

#3  donate.  

I can see she hates idea of tossing unworn stuff.  

I plan to buy her many  clothing items,  But mostly  cold climate  related   stuff and  things required for hiking and biking.   I know extra luggage can be 50$ a bag  but I don't want her to hassle with more than 1 person can navigate in an  airport with.  I will make sure she gets a flight where luggage doesn't need to be  picked up and rechecked in midway like sometimes happens on my trips.   I book direct through airlines  but get this surprise occasionally.   I will meet up with her on US soil wherever that may be.  I do have a SUV but...

I have read DHL is not the most  economical way.   I will call around on Monday.  

If she can pack 15 items om a box for 4$ each it may be worth it.   Would there be customs fees going this way?

Edited by Elkski

I had a friend who shipped a lot of her clothes to the US via the Thai post office.  Cheap and easy.  Took about a month, but easy.

The problem we had with the move to NYC, was most of her clothes weren't appropriate.  The cold climate there doesn't require so many flip flops! Nor thin clothes.  And most of what she originally had, were cheap stuff from the local markets. 

Good luck!!!  It will be an interesting journey.

• Thanks 1

My wife here in the U.S. is a good clothes shopper.  She was a seamstress in Thailand.  She buys stuff here of better quality and often at less price than Thailand.  Much of it comes from Vietnam and Bangladesh.  She sends clothes home as gifts!

• Like 2

I've shipped clothes the other way...USA to Thailand, using shopandshipus.com with great results and prices.  Maybe they can ship to USA too or know of a similar company that can. 

• Like 1

Typical women?  Sorry!  You LIED!   you tell her you can only bring two bags on the airplane anything you need she can buy!  Get some pictures of snow true or not and inside of Walmart!  Tell her can't ship now due to Virus and even if you could will get held up in Custom!

Guarantee if you ship it all frustrate yourself when it arrives it will stay in the box and she will still want to buy new sadly how long have you known her seem a bit high maintenance?  ????

Edited by thailand49
  • Like 2

one other thing to consider is American washers and dryers tend to eat all the clothing she took to USA but that was many moons ago..1976. Even today here in LOS, our washing machine does not agitate like the US models did.  But understand your dilemma do what you can and best of luck, mine came on same visa in 76, had 90 days to get married or go home...we just came back last year..Took her 43 yrs to return..

check with thai post.

last time i sent boxes to the us, SAL was about 700 for the first kg, then 250 for each additional kg.  up to a max of about 30kg/box.  if surface is available, that should be about 1/3 cheaper.

personal items/used clothing - even if new (remove price tags) - should not be hit with customs fees.  declare a reasonable amount per box, maybe $75 or so.

https://www.thailandpost.co.th/un/rate_result/?country_code=US&weight=10000

5 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

I think we're pretty aligned on our advice to the OP, that trying to ship a boat load of clothes is a bad idea.

Yes it can be done, but it's expensive and a lot of her stuff won't be appropriate.

We've all mentioned a bunch of stores, Ross, TJ Max, Marshalls, Kohls and thats before you get to the JC Penny's and Macys etc where for she'll be able to easily replace her wardrobe.

And on a social acclimatization, shopping at least in my experience is very therapeutic for women, especially as she gets to grip with moving to a new culture. I might add, she's coming on a K1, so she won't actually get her greencard for quite a long while, so won't be able to work.

Going out shopping will be a huge distraction for her until she can get a job!

Just my 2 cents!

No no no!   Don't want to encourage any growth in a shopping habit. Yes  plenty of stores here. 

Yes I plan to buy warm stuff.  she will need sweaters, warm clothes, hats, gloves, thermal layers, wind breakers. Down coats, for cold.  

6 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

check with thai post.

last time i sent boxes to the us, SAL was about 700 for the first kg, then 250 for each additional kg.  up to a max of about 30kg/box.  if surface is available, that should be about 1/3 cheaper.

personal items/used clothing - even if new (remove price tags) - should not be hit with customs fees.  declare a reasonable amount per box, maybe $75 or so.

https://www.thailandpost.co.th/un/rate_result/?country_code=US&weight=10000

The thing to remember about the postal system, is not weight but volume.

Mail systems don't, unlike the DHL, Fedex's and UPS's deal with large packages, regardless of weight

Hi guys

UK: I solved the problem years ago by asking her to pick clothes from a UK high fashion ( ie H&M) web site that would be delivered to new home or can go to stores. 

H&M is not high price and is a must go to shop in Thailand for girlies.

They have same in the US.

Happy days.

4 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

The thing to remember about the postal system, is not weight but volume.

Mail systems don't, unlike the DHL, Fedex's and UPS's deal with large packages, regardless of weight

not a problem.

you buy the largest boxes sold by the post office.  when filled with clothing and random stuff the lady will need (chili peppers and green curry sauce).....should not exceed 15kg although they will ship at least up to 20kg.  perhaps more, would have to ask.  when i move between china and thailand, i use the postal boxes, usually sending 4-6 boxes each weighing 12-15kg.

any larger or heavier and the boxes become difficult to handle and run the risk of sides splitting open during transit.

As stated I would not ship allot of clothes, but if there is no way around it (we know how women can be) I do know a shipping company that could do it ad a reasonable cost. It would be slow. It's Thai company in Bangkok. The girl I work with speaks English very good and has traveled to the USA many times.   PM me if you want their contact info.

PS be careful about the bags being overweight as the fees can be high.   One time I had to take stuff out of one suitcase and move to another. You can get the hand held suitcase scales for less than 300baht. 

My wife bought a Singer sewing machine(not that expensive) when she came over, Allowed her to make/alter clothes/material she buys that maybe a bit too big for her. It also gives her something to do as a hobby when she wants a bit of alone time.

19 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

My wife bought a Singer sewing machine(not that expensive) when she came over, Allowed her to make/alter clothes/material she buys that maybe a bit too big for her. It also gives her something to do as a hobby when she wants a bit of alone time.

My wife was a seamstress in Thailand.  Learned to make her own patterns and all.  She'll buy closeout stuff off the rack for $3 - $5 and modify/resize to suit her.  It's cheaper than buying cloth.  She's bought the majority of my clothing for the last 42 years except for socks and underwear. 

Used but serviceable basic sewing machines are cheap in the U.S.  My Thai bro-in-law has 4 sitting in his garage/workshop.  I'm sure he got them for free. 

On 12/13/2020 at 5:00 AM, Elkski said:

Yes sorry. A K1 visa gives us 90 days in US to get married.  Known each other  35 months.   Many of her clothes are never  worn things.   She is thrifty but seems to enjoy shopping.  Buys things but then has no where to go to wear them.  I am not having luck getting her to try on everything on video chat  so we can sort it #1  Bring,

#2 keep at moms for next visit, 

#3  donate.  

I plan to buy her many  clothing items,  But mostly  cold climate  related   stuff and  things required for hiking and biking.   I know extra luggage can be 50$ a bag  but I don't want her to hassle with more than 1 person can navigate in an  airport with.  I will make sure she gets a flight where luggage doesn't need to be  picked up and rechecked in midway like sometimes happens on my trips.   I book direct through airlines  but get this surprise occasionally.   I will meet up with her on US soil wherever that may be.  I do have a SUV but...

I have read DHL is not the most  economical way.   I will call around on Monday.  

If she can pack 15 items om a box for 4$ each it may be worth it.   Would there be customs fees going this way?

1. Tell her to give most her clothes to friends/family and everybody is happy.

2. If she doesn't wear them here she won't wear them there. 

3. You WILL be buying her new clothes; that's a given. Save your shipping fees for that. Along with jewelry, cosmetics, and shoes. 

4. She loves shopping so that makes my second and third points obvious. 

5. It's also entirely possible that she will grow up two sizes after a year in America anyway so her old clothes will be but a fond memory for you and her both. It's seldom planned but often happens (to other people of course) . 

6. Devote one entire suitcase to Thai rice and spices. She won't be happy with what she finds in America. 

On 12/13/2020 at 5:00 AM, Elkski said:

Get some of those traveling baggage scales, weight the packed suitcases then download and print out Delta's excess baggage charges in Thai. The let's see if she hates that more.