Most people want school students to wear uniform: poll

webfact

Most people want school students to wear uniform: poll

By THE NATION

800_5f183d25bf4fd4f.jpg?v=1607915714

The majority of people surveyed in a Nida Poll are in favour of school students wearing uniform, it was revealed on Sunday.

The poll, conducted by the National Institute of Development Administration on December 7-8, surveyed 1,332 people nationwide aged over 15 years.

The poll was inspired by a series of student-led protests in the past months by a group that calls itself “Bad Student”, which opposes the idea of students having to wear uniform in schools.

When asked for their opinion about students wearing uniform, 78.15 per cent of respondents said it helped promote order and discipline, 24.47 per cent said that it represented the educational institute, 7.96 per cent said it helped prevent someone from pretending to be a student, while 6.31 per cent said that it helped parents save money.

When asked whether student uniform should be mandatory or cancelled, 69.67 per cent of respondents said uniform should continue to be mandatory for students, 12.09 per cent said that students should be allowed to wear private clothes on certain days of the week, while 7.06 per cent said that it should be left to the discretion of each school. Only 2.4 per cent of respondents backed scrapping mandatory student uniform.

When asked if they agreed with the protests by the “Bad Student” group, 72.6 per cent of respondents said they disagreed, adding that students should only focus on studying, while 21.17 per cent said they agreed as the right to demonstrate was a person’s right to express their opinion.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30399559

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-12-14

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ThailandRyan said:

How does wearing a uniform promote order and discipline.  Does the uniform attach to the spine like an alien and make the host do what is expected to be done by the MOE.  Uniforms are for uniformity and to ensure that no one looks different from another.  A few real reasons for a uniform at school in my opinion are:

1. School uniforms make it easier to get ready for school.
  2. School uniforms improve safety.  
  3. School uniforms are more affordable.

I agree. Uniforms are great, and are not there to promote order and discipline.

In the UK, we all had to wear a uniform. This was ideal because my single mother was dirt poor! If I had gone to school in America, where they don't wear uniforms, I wouldn't have been so academically succesful. I'm sure my mental health & studies would have suffered from getting bullied in school.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

Why not ask the schoolkids, not the general population?. Nobody has the right to tell someone else what to wear, whether its the hijab or school uniform. After all I am sure a majority of people would support the proposition that "General Prayuth should wear a Tutu whenever he appears in Public", but I am sure he would not!

57 minutes ago, 2530Ubon said:

I agree. Uniforms are great, and are not there to promote order and discipline.

In the UK, we all had to wear a uniform. This was ideal because my single mother was dirt poor! If I had gone to school in America, where they don't wear uniforms, I wouldn't have been so academically succesful. I'm sure my mental health & studies would have suffered from getting bullied in school.

kid a owns the latest iphone with airbuds......has said uniform on

kid b owns a nokia 3310 with an etch a sketch......has said uniform on

• Like 2

Narathiwat policeman shot whilst PM heads to Pattani in the south

Even the Big Boss wears the boy scout uniform!

Nothing against school uniforms but it would be nice if they modernised them and didn't force the haircuts on the kids.

Having to wear uniforms at university is surely unnecessary though. Conformity has no place in higher learning establishments. Though I'd miss them!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mr mr said:

kid a owns the latest iphone with airbuds......has said uniform on

kid b owns a nokia 3310 with an etch a sketch......has said uniform on

Children don't HAVE to have phones in school. In some schools, they are banned. They do have to wear clothes though... especially in Thai schools!

Edited by 2530Ubon

15 minutes ago, Proboscis said:

There is a kind of tyranny of the majority. At one time, the majority wanted women to wear long skirts only, no trousers, no vote, little chance to own real estate etc. Lets see what the school students say for a change.

Womens rights (adults) should not be confused with children attending school. Two completely different things. A uniform solves many problems and should be compared to a work uniform. Doctors and other medical staff must wear scrubs. Business people must dress smart - usually suited and booted.

Edited by 2530Ubon
  • Like 1

If no uniforms in Thailand you would have the HI-SO kids coming to school all labeled up with the latest designer gear on, then the poor kids would beat them up and nick off them, then sell it back to them, like we used to do 555

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I would assume a few things from this poll. First, the questions were leading. Second, most who support the wearing of uniforms are over 40. Third, there seems to be some confusion here. I think the concept of order and discipline, really means keeping the youth under control, maintaining an extremely conventional society, not questioning the status quo on any level, and obeying the "elders" under all circumstances, and at all costs. 

There is a seismic shift taking place. The youth are getting tired of the tiny boxes they are being asked to live within, and becoming more open, forward thinking, creative and progressive. They want the nation to move forward. And there is a significant percent of the "older" population that wants everything to remain the same, feels a level of comfort living within that tiny box, with a very limited horizon, and is scared, very scared of change and progress. 

The future's forward.......... Or it should be........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JohnB1945 said:

Why not ask the schoolkids, not the general population?. Nobody has the right to tell someone else what to wear, whether its the hijab or school uniform. After all I am sure a majority of people would support the proposition that "General Prayuth should wear a Tutu whenever he appears in Public", but I am sure he would not!

In the UK back in the early seventies my school ( Grammar ) polled the elder kids ( 14 + ) on school uniform.

The results were surprisingly strongly in favour of retention with a couple of ammendments , blazers to be optional on very hot days , girls to be allowed to wear trousers ( black or navy ) during the winter.

The school agreed the ammendments .

• Like 2

Why no differentiation between school kids up to 12th grade and University students?

There is no reason for University students to wear uniforms or have select haircuts.  This is really absurd.

Yes, they do this at most military academies but that is for special reasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Nope, i can see nothing wrong in wearing school uniforms........  Bless their little cotton socks !  

thailand-university-students-76.jpg

Only thing needed to make the picture 100x's better would be if she was sucking on a lollipop.....mmmmm.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

How does wearing a uniform promote order and discipline.  Does the uniform attach to the spine like an alien and make the host do what is expected to be done by the MOE.  Uniforms are for uniformity and to ensure that no one looks different from another.  A few real reasons for a uniform at school in my opinion are:

1. School uniforms make it easier to get ready for school.
  2. School uniforms improve safety.  
  3. School uniforms are more affordable.

1. Lose identity, individualism, and self-expression.

2. Likely students already have clothes at home that would be suitable for school; if not government can subsidize just as it does with industries. Why should education differ?

3. How one dresses is likely to have nothing to do with academic achievement. Having everyone dress in the same uniform also gives a false impression of income equality. Under Prayut income inequality has increased according to various scholars and economists. 

4. Uniforms enforce a culture of authoritarian government where military/civil service uniforms prevail. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, madmitch said:

Narathiwat policeman shot whilst PM heads to Pattani in the south

Even the Big Boss wears the boy scout uniform!

Nothing against school uniforms but it would be nice if they modernised them and didn't force the haircuts on the kids.

Having to wear uniforms at university is surely unnecessary though. Conformity has no place in higher learning establishments. Though I'd miss them!!!

The problem in Thailand with Scouting is that there hardly any real Scout troops. 

If you see school children in Scout and Guide uniforms you won't see any merit badges such as first aid,  fire lighting, cooking, knots etc simply because the schools don't do that.

• Like 2