More retirees than STV tourists come to Thailand after restrictions eased

webfact

More retirees than STV tourists come to Thailand after restrictions eased

3pm.jpg
Image: Bangkok BIz News

Thai media quoting a consular source at the foreign ministry said that foreign retirees were returning to Thailand after restrictions were eased in October. 

The figures related to those issued with a CoE (Certificate of Entry) up to November 11th. Bangkok Business News said this was 1,907 people.

Of these the most was foreign retirees on O-A visas comprising 682 people.

In second place were 379 people on the STV or special tourist visa that allows stays up to 270 days after extensions.

In third were Elite Card holders at 357 people, Non-Imm B holders (businessmen) 169, Tourist Visa 150 and APEC card 113. 

The next largest group were film and documentary makers at 44. 

18 minutes ago, Don Chance said:

A lot of reason NOT to go to Thailand right now...

1. Risk of getting sick on the plane or in quarantine. Risk to get stuck in thai hospital

2. 14 days quarantine is house arrest in small, smoggy room in Bangkok.

3. Expensive of quarantine is much higher for a studio with space, 80,000 baht.

4. Not many direct flights to Phuket, prices are higher there too.

5. STV is expensive, single entry is too short

6. Many places are closed, potential boring trip

7. No where to go, other countries are all closed.

8. People are still suppose to wear masks in Thailand

9. Better chance to get a vaccine in your home country then wait in Thailand.

10.  Risk of failed trip, not getting covid test in time, getting sick, no refund of tickets, reservations etc.

A plane is probably the safest place you can be right now.  Everyone is tested and wearing masks.  Shutting down international travel never made any sense to me.  If the virus is already spreading locally, how can allowing foreign tourists in possibly make it any worse?  Just test them before they get on the plane, and sure test them when they get off too why not.  You can even track them if you want to or make them stay in one region, but you should not need to have to quarantine them for 14 days on top of that.  Seem to me they are just throwing stuff at the wall at that point to try look like they are doing something they know won't make a difference anyways.

Edited by shdmn
  • Sad 1

- How do you know that? - when it gets to Thailand people will be able to ‘buy’ the vaccine. In our home countries those in the high risk groups will be at the top of the list. If you are a 35 year old tourist or a 55 year old retiree and not a front line worker you will still have to wait a long time in your home country if you want the vaccine, or go private. 

No chance of expats buying vaccine in Thailand in 2021 or 2022 in my view.  Thailand has only purchased a very limited supply.  Every country is scraping all the barrels to get vaccine (apart from UK and USA and EU who have purchased pretty much all).

Expats in Thailand will be bottom of the queue.............and when they start saying "no vaccine no flight" then they wont be flying anywhere either.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, RR2020 said:

- How do you know that? - when it gets to Thailand people will be able to ‘buy’ the vaccine. In our home countries those in the high risk groups will be at the top of the list. If you are a 35 year old tourist or a 55 year old retiree and not a front line worker you will still have to wait a long time in your home country if you want the vaccine, or go private. 

No chance of expats buying vaccine in Thailand in 2021 or 2022 in my view.  Thailand has only purchased a very limited supply.  Every country is scraping all the barrels to get vaccine (apart from UK and USA and EU who have purchased pretty much all).

Expats in Thailand will be bottom of the queue.............and when they start saying "no vaccine no flight" then they wont be flying anywhere either.

Interesting opinion. In contrast I suspect some of the Private Hospitals will be charging a premium for the vaccine. 

Those foreigners in key worker fields - Teachers, Offshore Oil & Gas may also more readily gain access to the vaccine than the rest of us. 

• Thanks 1

I agree.  We would not be going to Thailand in February on a Tourist Visa unless we could convert to retirement.  

For info, this is what we accomplished today:

“Just for info concerning U.S.A. Tourist Visa applications, my wife and I were required to submit two 2 x 2 photos, paid for airline flights, Covid-19 Policy (8,450 Baht for two months, https://covid19.tgia.org/ ), Copy of Passport and Bank Statements.  

The website indicates these were not necessary until AFTER they initially looked at the application.  Left to send in would be:  ASQ reservation and payment, declaration and Passport.  The passport application seems to be satisfied by online information application.

For info, flights booked have free date changing and the Covid insurance is cancelled if denied a visa and/or COE.?

From what I can see, and I might be wrong,  to come to Thailand on any sort of visa, you need Covid test, Covid insurance and ASQ, cost about 60 - 80K Baht.  That could double the cost of a holiday for many.

Now how many tourists, even long stay, are going to add that to the cost of their holiday?

if you are retiree, like me, then it is not too bad of an extra cost, just to get back to the place I call home.  

No doubt in Anutin's world of high spending tourists, there are millions who do not care about the extra cost, and will be flocking to Thailand some time soon.

I suggest that one problem is that us retirees are not considered by Anutin or TAT to be high spending individuals, so not really welcome.  Somebody convince Anutin otherwise and we might see the country open up to retirees

The STV allows for two, 90 days extensions.  Nine months in total.  

“5. STV is expensive, single entry is too short.

- Agreed. STV is not really a viable option unless it gives people an option to come here for a much longer period, i.e. 6 or even 12 months.”

5 hours ago, shdmn said:

A plane is probably the safest place you can be right now.  Everyone is tested and wearing masks.  Shutting down international travel never made any sense to me.  If the virus is already spreading locally, how can allowing foreign tourists in possibly make it any worse?  Just test them before they get on the plane, and sure test them when they get off too why not.  You can even track them if you want to or make them stay in one region, but you should not need to have to quarantine them for 14 days on top of that.  Seem to me they are just throwing stuff at the wall at that point to try look like they are doing something they know won't make a difference anyways.

Thais are not tested and not everyone wears a mask the entire time. 

How do you think those arriving for quarantine ended up with a virus that takes 2 - 14 days to show symptoms? Many traveled with it because they had false negative tests. Many others caught it on the flight.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dcnx said:

Thais are not tested and not everyone wears a mask the entire time. 

How do you think those arriving for quarantine ended up with a virus that takes 2 - 14 days to show symptoms? Many traveled with it because they had false negative tests. Many others caught it on the flight.

I don't know where you are coming from but from where I am coming from everyone needs to be tested within 72 hour of the flight.

15 hours ago, jollyhangmon said:

Here's another interesting numbah, the BKK Post the other day had the total of folks gone through quarantine (all facilities) in the last 10 months at close to 173,000 - that's quite a few, 575 a day on average ...

At first glance that looked high, but given the 45,000 foreign figure published, and that Thai/foreigner ratio was running 2:1 maybe reasonable?

The 575 a day figure is hard to imagine though, given the video I've seen at SBIA/BKK. Also means ~ 8,000 in quarantine in average on any given day.

Seen government figures of  ~ 700 positives in quarantine so 0.4% rate in quarantine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, shdmn said:

I don't know where you are coming from but from where I am coming from everyone needs to be tested within 72 hour of the flight.

Including the Thais on a repatriation flight ? i don't think so

or your country is the only one in the world where the thai embassy\consulate

made this requirment mandatory for them

just out of curiosity from where are you coming from ?

Edited by kingofthemountain
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, George36 said:

The STV allows for two, 90 days extensions.  Nine months in total.  

“5. STV is expensive, single entry is too short.

- Agreed. STV is not really a viable option unless it gives people an option to come here for a much longer period, i.e. 6 or even 12 months.”

Good point, thanks for the correction.

That said, it is totally beyond me why the Thai Government just allow entry for 270 days in the first place then, or simply just give a 12 month entry - the idea that people have to go to immigration and apply for extensions is moronic, especially when the whole idea is create an attractive visa for tourists. 

Why make it single entry too. At some point in the next 12 months the world will open up. It makes sense that tourists will make Thailand their base and they can travel to neighbouring Cities and countries, HK, Singapore, KL, Vietnam, Penang etc etc.

Thailand always succeeds in making something which could be attractive somehow slightly less attractive with unnecessary hurdles and limitations. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

Except Thai nationals, on many flights.

Some airlines might have something to say about that.  Anyways, I have to connect before going to Thailand and there would not be many if any Thai Nationals on my flight.

Edited by shdmn

12 minutes ago, shdmn said:

Some airlines might have something to say about that.  Anyways, I have to connect before going to Thailand and there would not be many if any Thai Nationals on my flight.

Even only one not tested and infected Thai in the plane on your flight is enough to give you the virus

fingers crossed and good luck for your return then !!

4 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

Even only one not tested and infected Thai in the plane on your flight is enough to give you the virus

When I do fly I will have been vaccinated.  But thanks for your concern.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, kingofthemountain said:

A lot of bad luck is still required to contract Covid-19 on a flight. 

One single case of Covid-19 on a flight does not give everyone on the flight Covid-19. 

As we know Thai’s are not required to have a Covid-19 negative test result before boarding a repatriation flight to Thailand, yet people have tested positive for Covid-19 while in quarantine, but not a whole flight. 

Those testing positive in Quarantine either contracted Covid-19 from a period before the 72 hr pre-flight limit before the Covid-19 test, but the disease was too early in it development to be recognised by the PCR test.

Or, they contracted Covid-19 in a period within the 72 hr pre-flight limit, after their Covid-19 PCR test. 

Or, they contracted Covid-19 during the flight from someone else. 

Or, they contracted Covid-19 during quarantine itself. 

If Covid-19 can be transmitted on a flight, it is surely done so within a small radius, otherwise the numbers of Covid-19 found in quarantine would be far greater. 

-------

That said, there is still a risk to contract Covid-19 on a flight if sat next to or near someone positive who has not been tested etc (i.e. a Thai), but there is also a chance of contracting Covid-19 when going to the supermarket in the UK etc given the higher numbers of Covid-19 there.