Chiang Mai: Praise for cops fining helmetless motorcyclists - 120 tickets issued on first day

webfact

Of the 120 fines issued , how many I wonder will actually pay up , I would guess if they achieve double figures they will be lucky.

The only way to ensure payment is to march them of to an ATM under threat of incarceration if they fail to cough up.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Riddle me this, why is it I never see a police vehicle, 4 wheels or 2, that has pulled over a motorist for a traffic infringement? Do they think they will catch speedsters, the helmetless etc. by relying on cameras that frequently don't work, or sitting on their <deleted> at checkpoints?

The RTP seems to be untrained, unwilling and incapable of having a mobile, traffic enforcement capability. I doubt any have been trained or equipped to do such a thing, at least in Pattaya/Jomtien. The unmates have taken over the streets hereabouts.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Riddle me this, why is it I never see a police vehicle, 4 wheels or 2, that has pulled over a motorist for a traffic infringement? Do they think they will catch speedsters, the helmetless etc. by relying on cameras that frequently don't work, or sitting on their <deleted> at checkpoints?

So many complaints on TVF regarding the non enforcement of these violations.

Your post has little merit it seems. Don't you care about the safety and health of riders on the roads?

I have seen drivers stopped in Pattaya. And yes, as opposed to your post the cameras in fact worked and caught over 100 violators in one day.  Anyone who cares and believes in enforcement of this important safety issue should be happy, not negative and demeaning.

Camera citations are used in many western countries same as they are doing here now.

So, wear a helmet and obey the rules or or may get a citation sent to you. 

Be safe..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bkk6060 said:

So many complaints on TVF regarding the non enforcement of these violations.

Your post has little merit it seems. Don't you care about the safety and health of riders on the roads?

I have seen drivers stopped in Pattaya. And yes, as opposed to your post the cameras in fact worked and caught over 100 violators in one day.  Anyone who cares and believes in enforcement of this important safety issue should be happy, not negative and demeaning.

Camera citations are used in many western countries same as they are doing here now.

So, wear a helmet and obey the rules or or may get a citation sent to you. 

Be safe..

I'm not disagreeing with you. I'm just pointing out enforcement could be far more effective with real policing.

As far as compliance goes, I am a model alien. That's what we are here, n'est ce pas?

May you shoot sub-70 in your next round of golf.

4 hours ago, Tony M said:

When I worked in Bahrain many years ago, the govt/police installed cameras at traffic lights. It took very little time for them to be totally destroyed  by the locals.

Hope they do the same here.  Next up is fines for everyone crossing white lines, on badly laid out roads, poor paint, hard to see at night or against the sun.

• Sad 1

Police check points have now ceased in our area ! When they were mounted it was after the students, 3 or 4 to a motorbike, had gone to school . At the end of the school day the 3 or 4 to a bike leaving the school were able to do so as the policeman controlled the motor traffic . !!

14 hours ago, a3tsw said:

Of the 120 fines issued , how many I wonder will actually pay up , I would guess if they achieve double figures they will be lucky.

The only way to ensure payment is to march them of to an ATM under threat of incarceration if they fail to cough up.

Yep got caught in Spain 2 years ago for no seatbelt, frogmarched to the nearest ATM and 100€ and then on me way.