Long-stay visas proposed for foreigners who buy Bt3m condos

webfact

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Most foreigners are wanting to become permanent residents with absolutely no interest in fulfilling basic immigrant criteria such as assimilating into the local culture, learning the language, working here, paying taxes, having Thai friends, eating local food etc. 

It's just more Western entitlement that we see so often on this forum. 

The permanent residency requirements are perfect the way they are. Keeps out the riff-raff and the client/worker couples.

I guess the lack of us being able to get more or less fluent in Thai plays a big role in almost everything in daily Thai life. But I see just as few Asians do it let alone Chinese or Japanese (who sometimes speak worse English than Thais on top of that). 

Just the Singaporeans seem to get good in Thai fast. I would agree one would need to speak above medium Thai to get the nationality, i'd expect the same in Holland. I personally stopped learning at a point, as Thai sounds nicer without understanding it entirely lol, they really gossip a lot and often talk bad too. Or just about such basic nonsense I rather not listen. However I keep picking up more so no escape...

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I bought my condo some years ago but wouldn't benefit retrospectively with a 5 year visa. A shame that this can't be extended to those who have invested in the country and intend on staying here.

bkk6060 is not misleading anyone as renewing a retirement visa can be as easy as 2 hours once a year (it was for me this year too). Not difficult if staying organised and within the rules.

Destiny1990, hope that's not too anoying for you ????  

In recent years that proces only has been made more complicated instead of easier but sure u will deny that fact even.They added TM30’s that landlord sometimes dont want to cooperate with, they raised they minimum monthly retirement amount in order to qualify, they complicated it further with bank statements and money transfer copies on exact certain dates anyway look at the number of retirees that left in recent years prior to corona...Other countries nearby have much more simplified longterm staying options but u may deny that too..

Oh for @#$%% sake,  just PCR test everyone at the airport and open the doors instead of spending every waking hour wondering how to rip off everyone........  It's that simple......... Business back to usual and everyone happy...... apart from the greedy little toe rags at the helm.....  Ooops, have i gone too far...... Ban coming ?  

1 hour ago, ChaiyaTH said:

I guess the lack of us being able to get more or less fluent in Thai plays a big role in almost everything in daily Thai life. But I see just as few Asians do it let alone Chinese or Japanese (who sometimes speak worse English than Thais on top of that). 

Just the Singaporeans seem to get good in Thai fast. I would agree one would need to speak above medium Thai to get the nationality, i'd expect the same in Holland. I personally stopped learning at a point, as Thai sounds nicer without understanding it entirely lol, they really gossip a lot and often talk bad too. Or just about such basic nonsense I rather not listen. However I keep picking up more so no escape...

I learned to speak Thai years ago, i now regret it 100% because now i know how pathetic and meaningless most of the conversations are..... Food, Fun, and the other........ Oh, and also money...... that's your lot......   It's the same reason i don't want to know how the TV works, i'd rather just imagine magic in a box....... something wonderful happening........ignorance is bliss......  Ten years of marriage and i had a go at two meaningful conversations..... Both ended in disaster !     Rent it....... cheaper in the long run...... 

40 minutes ago, newnative said:

At least these new proposals are going in the right direction.  But, they need to be bolder and there should be, as others have said, a relaxation in the foreign quota rules, as was done before during a crisis period. 

I agree with you completely but somehow I just cannot see the "deal" offered by the post title ever happening. 

• Like 1

So they want people to spend a fortune on tiny condos from all the developers that can’t sell them and in return you get a long term visa or permanent residency ?

So how is buying a condo from a developer anything to do with immigration who give out visas and PR ? Or are immigration getting a nice little cheque for facilitating this ?? ????

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ronaldo0 said:

So they want people to spend a fortune on tiny condos from all the developers that can’t sell them and in return you get a long term visa or permanent residency ?

So how is buying a condo from a developer anything to do with immigration who give out visas and PR ? Or are immigration getting a nice little cheque for facilitating this ?? ????

Good point, the folks that are playing this up are the developers, all aiming to sell more condos.

Who benefits? The developers.

And this has nothing to do with any counties' balanced approach to immigration. 

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

The thing I don't get is that any criminal who wants to white wash his money can come buy a condo in Thailand and get a 10 year visa as a bonus, but honnest people who have been married to a Thai national for more than 10 years or have been working here for over 10 years still have jump through hoops to get a new visa each year and can still not work without needing to aquire a workpermit.

Yeah seems completely fair  and completely legit...???? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

In recent years that proces only has been made more complicated instead of easier but sure u will deny that fact even.They added TM30’s that landlord sometimes dont want to cooperate with, they raised they minimum monthly retirement amount in order to qualify, they complicated it further with bank statements and money transfer copies on exact certain dates anyway look at the number of retirees that left in recent years prior to corona...Other countries nearby have much more simplified longterm staying options but u may deny that too..

I do my own TM30 online through the immigration website. They set-up an online account for me. Keep 800K in the bank, get bank letter on the day at Kbank CW, multiple rentry permit from immigration too. Total time of 2 hours in March 2020. I like Thailand, why would I want to go elsewhere as my second/retirement home? Maybe you've got your reasons but some of us are actually quite happy here. Bye bye...

• Like 1

So I guess this is a one off kind of thing, buy condo get 5 year visa. What if someone manages to sell the condo again and buy another one? 

Or how about if someone bought a THB 10 million condo, got permanent residence, then after 3 months he sells it to another foreigner who gets permanent residence, who then sells it again after 3 months to another foreigner. That way you could obtain permanent residence at only the interest cost of a THB 10 million loan for 3 months. i.e. something like THB 100k max.

10 hours ago, Lacrimas said:

even citizenship like in all civilized countries... they are scared we would steal their jobs but I don't see many farangs hurrying to get a 10.000 baht per month job at 7 eleven

I bet if some expats could, they would do it...????   

who was the guy that said he lived on 8,000 or 9,000thb a month and bragged about it...canary??

4 hours ago, gvrixtel said:

The thing I don't get is that any criminal who wants to white wash his money can come buy a condo in Thailand and get a 10 year visa as a bonus, but honnest people who have been married to a Thai national for more than 10 years or have been working here for over 10 years still have jump through hoops to get a new visa each year and can still not work without needing to aquire a workpermit.

Yeah seems completely fair  and completely legit...???? 

if you've been in Thailand and working for the past 10 years you can apply for PR , since married to a Thai you can apply for Citizenship without getting PR first. 

So...it’s the old pay ฿10,000,000 for an ฿8,000,000 condo scheme, eh?

Why not just sell permanent residency for ฿2,000,000 and call it a day.  

Then...said permanent residents can rent condos from Thai developers...or are these condos “hot potatoes” that those in the know really don’t want to hold onto?

To be fair and not reveal the  utter and total greed,  this concept should apply to buying used condos.   Why should new overpriced developers get help when  someone selling  a used condo gets no benefit?   I would think there must be some eminent big development defaults expected.  Maybe they are trying hard to not end up with 10-20 unfinished monstrosities?  I think a better help for sales would be to actually execute a plan that reduces the number of high pollution days.  Get some sort of stability in the visa and tax rules. This type of idea only helps the investors in these big condo development boondoggle.    Investing in a condo is further hurt by the crackdown a year ago on AirBnb. I have  stayed at condos owned by western foreigners , Indonesian, as well as local BKK thai people.    If I'm not mistaken many condos were sold to Chinese who purchased multiple units to sublease via the condo company or airbnb type system.  Weren't many condos selling with guaranteed ROI numbers ?

Of course during covid no matter what visa there is no easy come and go for your condo.  Any return to your condo comes with a 14 day stay in expensive ASQ.

I met a western airline hostess wjo did international flights who used BKK as her homemade.  I bet her plan has not worked these last 9 months . 

Edited by Elkski
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

I do my own TM30 online through the immigration website. They set-up an online account for me. Keep 800K in the bank, get bank letter on the day at Kbank CW, multiple rentry permit from immigration too. Total time of 2 hours in March 2020. I like Thailand, why would I want to go elsewhere as my second/retirement home? Maybe you've got your reasons but some of us are actually quite happy here. Bye bye...

Well expats retirees most of them have somehow left and foreigners under 50 years cant stay long term either since last years. 

On 12/18/2020 at 7:59 AM, Olivie said:

Condos market should be diving if they are making this kind of proposition...
I dont know who would be stupid enough to buy now.

Erm let's see, buy when diving or buy when climbing. I know which one is stupid. 

30 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Well expats retirees most of them have somehow left and foreigners under 50 years cant stay long term either since last years. 

Every expat retiree I have met in Pattaya the last 10 years is still here.  None has left.   There are some I know  who were caught outside of Thailand when the borders closed but several have since returned and the others will be back when the return is easier.   Some may have left but to say 'most of them' is nonsense.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

I probably know 50 retiree expats (friends, neighbors, acquaintances) I still dont know of anyone that has left, 

I can count 3-4 new retiree arrivals, even during covid restrictions.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2020 at 4:59 AM, Olivie said:

Condos market should be diving if they are making this kind of proposition...
I dont know who would be stupid enough to buy now.

Literally anyone who already has a family and anyhow thinking to continue to stay here.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

easy, these property companies should be paying out of their own pockets for the 20 year no thrills elite visa, they do it for the chinese and even have bank loans from china allowed for buying here, anyone paying 3 million upwards, sure they would not be paying the full price from elite but a discount, many condos from 3-5 million sold to the chinese around the area near their embassy are being sold this way with the visa included paid by the property company, these are large stock exchange companies

Be interesting to see when all the conditions come out .  Will 90 day reporting still be mandatory . Rentry permits ? 

800,000 in a Thai bank account ?  Insurance ?  Is it open ended for 10 years or is there a minimum time you need to spend in country within the 10 year period . Can't help but think after it does through the different levels of approval it will end up as another cock-up .