Long-stay visas proposed for foreigners who buy Bt3m condos

webfact

5 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I don't believe so for two main reasons. The first because of the client/worker 'relationships' as I mentioned earlier. It's a complicated and difficult to manage situation that would result in even more foreign men marrying prostitutes and claiming a right to reside in the country. 

The rules are more relaxed for foreign women married to Thai men specifically because this is unlikely to be the case when the gender roles are reversed. 

Secondly, we are talking about immigrating, and permanent residency indicates a step to permanently migrate here. Most foreigners, even those with families and children have no interest in integrating or becoming Thai citizens, they just want to remain in Thailand and think they should have the right to do so. Most of them would not even qualify even after many years living here, they do not speak, read or write the language, don't eat the local food and are not interested in assimilating into the local culture.

For me, the rules are fine the way they are.

The rules are more relaxed for foreign women married to Thai men specifically because this is unlikely to be the case when the gender roles are reversed. 

In many countries, this would be called discrimination.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlfHuy said:

In many countries, this would be called discrimination.

It would, and thank Buddha we don't live in those countries.

Just now, Spellforce said:

Elite Visa is a total waste of money when you are able to do your visa/extentions by yourself. Overpriced condo ???

Sure.

100k/m2 and up for badly build condo block. Goes up in 6 months. Low quality, low materials. Just look around how some look after a few years.

No, thanks. I have bought and sold many properties/land over the years (not here) and there are better places to invest.

Renting is the best option here. Cheap and if you don't like it, move on.

Prices have come down dramatically and it gives you the freedom to move on, once to loud, busy, boring etc.

If one could own land and build a house (in farangs name, this would be something else).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlfHuy said:

100k/m2 and up for badly build condo block. ... Just look around how some look after a few years

Are you really living in Thailand and do you just repeat what you are earing in some bars during your hollydays ?

Because as a resident in Thailand for 17 years:
- that's what are saying all residents who are renting and can not afford to purchase a condo or house (most of them are just jaleous guys with a small budget)
- all farang owners I know are happy of what they purchased... all !

• Like 2

6 hours ago, onebir said:

I think they may need to rethink this: couldn't you buy, then sell a Bt10 mil condo & keep the PR? (Or a 5 mill condo, then keep the 10 year visa?)

Yes there is the caveat that for 5 years you can't transfer the condo, or otherwise they will cancel your PR

6 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

How about permanent residence for all those long term married to Thais that buy a property ? That would be nice

even citizenship like in all civilized countries... they are scared we would steal their jobs but I don't see many farangs hurrying to get a 10.000 baht per month job at 7 eleven

16 minutes ago, Lacrimas said:

even citizenship like in all civilized countries... they are scared we would steal their jobs but I don't see many farangs hurrying to get a 10.000 baht per month job at 7 eleven

Most foreigners are wanting to become permanent residents with absolutely no interest in fulfilling basic immigrant criteria such as assimilating into the local culture, learning the language, working here, paying taxes, having Thai friends, eating local food etc. 

It's just more Western entitlement that we see so often on this forum. 

The permanent residency requirements are perfect the way they are. Keeps out the riff-raff and the client/worker couples.

Edited by Mr Meeseeks
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I don't believe so for two main reasons. The first because of the client/worker 'relationships' as I mentioned earlier. It's a complicated and difficult to manage situation that would result in even more foreign men marrying prostitutes and claiming a right to reside in the country. 

Secondly, we are talking about immigrating, and permanent residency indicates a step to permanently migrate here. Most foreigners, even those with families and children have no interest in integrating or becoming Thai citizens, they just want to remain in Thailand and think they should have the right to do so. Most of them would not even qualify even after many years living here, they do not speak, read or write the language, don't eat the local food and are not interested in assimilating into the local culture.

For me, the rules are fine the way they are.

Well, what a sexist bigot you are.

goodnight and god bless ????

13 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

Too good of a deal for some actually.

If Bt10,000,000 condo = Permanent Residency, everyone looking for an escape from China would buy-in.  Hong Kong would probably empty and move en-mass to Thailand.

The Chinese have special ways to get that already regardless. I assume for under 1M baht. Often via military connections too.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Most foreigners are wanting to become permanent residents with absolutely no interest in fulfilling basic immigrant criteria such as assimilating into the local culture, learning the language, working here, paying taxes, having Thai friends, eating local food etc. 

The permanent residency requirements are perfect the way they are. Keeps out the riff-raff and the client/worker couples.

Well Mr. Grumpy you need to turn that frown upside down today. 

1 minute ago, ChaiyaTH said:

The Chinese have special ways to get that already regardless. I assume for under 1M baht. Often via military connections too.

Nope, I'm not talking about corrupt Chinese insiders with connections to the Communist Party, I'm talking about the people of Hong Kong.  They are the ones who lost all of their liberties with the passage of China's HK Security Law this year.

• Like 1

How many of you readers continue to read this BS and then comment on it? The headline is just enough for me personally. 

Do not buy Condo’s in this country for any type of visa. You still got to do 90 days checks and if you don’t check in, they will fine you for the cost of that type of visa. 

Time to cook  some chicken wings.......

1 hour ago, condobrit001 said:

So sell one and buy a new one to qualify! These pie in the sky proposals never come to anything so  don"t waste your time.

and, if so, looking at the circle of over invested developers where this proposal seems to originate, 
it would not be surprising if a list of "authorised" sellers were attached to the proposal.

So, in short, those with 10+ invested in real estate in Thailand,
never mind, invested in the past already without incentives,
just go the normal route if you want residence status, and be patient.

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Or Eastern entitlement*, if they're Chinese?

*That we don't often see on this forum...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

How about permanent residence for all those long term married to Thais that buy a property ? That would be nice

In you dream, you are already here. But perhaps someone new foreigner arriving, marrying a Thai, and buying her a house could be eligible, as that would increase the currency flow...:thumbsup:

8 hours ago, onebir said:

I think they may need to rethink this: couldn't you buy, then sell a Bt10 mil condo & keep the PR? (Or a 5 mill condo, then keep the 10 year visa?)

Will be new, farang allocation only... you tried reselling a now second hand 10 mil condo ?? 

Think they will be safe for a while ????

• Like 1