Long-stay visas proposed for foreigners who buy Bt3m condos

webfact

12 minutes ago, tinca tinca said:

is this BLACKMAIL???

seems like it to me

equates to 75 thousand quid 

or

100,000 usd.......

No its not blackmail. Not sure why you think it is. Its simply a proposal for a visa for people who buy a condo. Nobody is being forced to buy a condo and there are other visa options

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 4:59 AM, Olivie said:

Condos market should be diving if they are making this kind of proposition...
I dont know who would be stupid enough to buy now.

Sub-prime mortgagees, that's who. In other words people who can't really afford to service a loan, but qualify for one because of reduced requirements. 

The greedy bankers tried that trick in the early 2000s in America. Come 2008 it didn't work out so well. The new loans defaulted, the mortgage backed securities tanked, some banks and insurance companies failed, and taxpayers bailed them all out, and the investment bankers got colossal bonuses. We haven't crawled out of that hole yet either. 

Good luck Thailand. 

• Like 2

On 12/18/2020 at 4:54 AM, bodga said:

OK Ive  bought 7  in the last 8 years....what do I  get? what;s  that ........oh nothing, thanks

Are you a slumlord? Are you payign tax on the income from those condos? I assume these are investment properties. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Well expats retirees most of them have somehow left and foreigners under 50 years cant stay long term either since last years. 

Not one of the many expat retirees I know has left Thailand. Some areas might be dead of tourists but there are still plenty of foreign retirees. Under 50's still have lots of visa options.

How about this for contrast for you? A Thai lady (wife of friend) has gone back to the UK to work to support their life here while he stays here in Thailand. Not what you might expect to hear eh?

• Like 1

On 12/18/2020 at 5:00 AM, Don Chance said:

I hate condo's. Would never buy one. Maybe a townhouse. Definitely a houses with land. They should let farangs own land and build their own houses. That would work.

Dont be silly. Just buy it in your wifes name to get around all the red tape, and the car.

What could go wrong?

I mean, every village in essan has at least one clever farang who has done this. Very smart, well informed people.

I'm off to Nana now to collect my cashier gf from work.

3 hours ago, samuiwonder said:

How about letting foreigners own real estate in Thailand! That would wake up the market! And give them visas!

What's your next idea, that's never going to happen.

Countries which did go down that path now regret it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I probably know 50 retiree expats (friends, neighbors, acquaintances) I still dont know of anyone that has left, 

I can count 3-4 new retiree arrivals, even during covid restrictions.

What ur saying is so far off the truth ????????..So why there are 100,000+ properties nowadays empty where are all these expats occupying them?  Anyway  most of my mates and their mates have left and i am able to give all their names and former addresses.  (expats,retirees,long term tourists) In discussions like this i always  get the feeling that i am talking with admin staff members of this website instead of people who really know the situation first hand. ????????

5 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Not one of the many expat retirees I know has left Thailand. Some areas might be dead of tourists but there are still plenty of foreign retirees. Under 50's still have lots of visa options.

How about this for contrast for you? A Thai lady (wife of friend) has gone back to the UK to work to support their life here while he stays here in Thailand. Not what you might expect to hear eh?

Yes trully an amazing story eddie.. ????.. farang expats living in Thailand while there thai wives are working in Europe and providing for their husbands????. Glad to  understand  from you that visa requirements and visa extensions have only been made more easier for us in last years.???????? Enjoy ur stay in soi3 eddie.

10 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes trully an amazing story eddie.. ????.. farang expats living in Thailand while there thai wives are working in Europe and providing for their husbands????. Glad to  understand  from you that visa requirements and visa extensions have only been made more easier for us in last years.???????? Enjoy ur stay in soi3 eddie.

"...visa requirements and visa extensions have only been made more easier for us in last years." Seems to be a sarcastic comment.

I read this or similar often and I wonder how many folks know how difficult it is for Thai people (and most others) to get visas/extensions for many other countries?

Simple examples: UK, US, Australia, NZ, Japan, Sth Korea, Germany, Denmark and many more. Another example is student visas; kids who are in Australia on a student visa are monitored pretty much daily by the Immigration equivalent for absence and poor marks (all obviously electronic and always up to date). Two days absence (not necessarily continuous from classes) and there's a visit from Immigration and a serious discussion, 3 days absence and very quickly Imm. folks arrive, very good chance they will tell the kid concerned to pack their bags immediately and taken to the airport.

All of these countries are serious about who can/cannot enter their countries. Is there anything wrong with that? Do you expect your home country to be serious about who can/cannot enter your country? I hope the answer is yes.  

Further, I would also suggest that over the last 10 years (just a guess) quite a few undesirable foreigners have been denied extensions.  

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

"...visa requirements and visa extensions have only been made more easier for us in last years." Seems to be a sarcastic comment.

I read this or similar often and I wonder how many folks know how difficult it is for Thai people (and most others) to get visas/extensions for many other countries?

Simple examples: UK, US, Australia, NZ, Japan, Sth Korea, Germany, Denmark and many more. Another example is student visas; kids who are in Australia on a student visa are monitored pretty much daily by the Immigration equivalent for absence and poor marks (all obviously electronic and always up to date). Two days absence (not necessarily continuous from classes) and there's a visit from Immigration and a serious discussion, 3 days absence and very quickly Imm. folks arrive, very good chance they will tell the kid concerned to pack their bags immediately and taken to the airport.

All of these countries are serious about who can/cannot enter their countries. Is there anything wrong with that? Do you expect your home country to be serious about who can/cannot enter your country? I hope the answer is yes.  

Further, I would also suggest that over the last 10 years (just a guess) quite a few undesirable foreigners have been denied extensions.  

Exactly the typical reply as expected from you sorry  but i will not even waist my time on this matter further with you lot.

6 hours ago, scorecard said:

Agreed, in the last few years I've noticed a decrease and encountered far fewer dysfuntional foreigners in Thailand. These are the types who can't even function socially or economically in their home country (usually western countries with welfare states). Those foreigners I have met recently in Hua Hin, Pattaya, Bangkok and on my travels have without exception been kind, decent people.

• Like 1

This is only being proposed by the developers of those condos that were built the last 5 years and overpriced.

Too many developers have had their fingers burnt by over building thinking farang will keep coming back into Thailand.

Dream for them is dead, so now come up with this....the Govt will give the go ahead.

But in the end, not many will take up.

Why buy an overpriced condo, just for a Visa?

On 12/19/2020 at 12:35 PM, soi3eddie said:

Hopefully she is not in the UK shopping for another man who can 'take care' better. I would be shocked if the relationship ends well. 

46 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

Hopefully she is not in the UK shopping for another man who can 'take care' better. I would be shocked if the relationship ends well. 

You don't know the lady or her husband. It would appear that you are talking from either past experiences of yours, or others, who don't have a stable loving relationship.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

You don't know the lady or her husband. It would appear that you are talking from either past experiences of yours, or others, who don't have a stable loving relationship.

I'm talking from common sense. Of course I don't know them. And I wish them luck. But it's highly unusual. And, if you tell me the lady's background, I'll place an even better guess. If she ever worked in a bar, for example, there would be a 93.7% likelihood that she'd be unfaithful whilst in London, Farangistan or wherever she is. If she is is more than 10 years younger than he is, this goes up to 99.2%.

• Haha 1

These are just white collar crimes backed by the government. No different than say the reverse mortgage loans in the US and numerous others here in the US. Actually these pale in comparison the the scams in the US. 

Thailand has learned well.