Thailand confirms 81 new coronavirus infections

webfact

Thailand confirms 81 new coronavirus infections

2020-12-25T044608Z_1_LYNXMPEGBO042_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-THAILAND.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A migrant worker has her temperature checked as she queues to talk with the public health authorities for a COVID-19 investigation at a fresh market, amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) outbreak, in Bangkok, Thailand, December 22, 2020. REUTERS/Chalinee Thirasupa/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand confirmed 81 new coronavirus infections on Friday, of which nine were imported from abroad, the public health ministry said.

Around half the 72 locally transmitted cases reported were linked to an outbreak discovered at the weekend at a seafood centre near the capital Bangkok, the ministry said in a statement.

It did not say where the other cases were from.

More than 1,400 infections have been linked to the seafood centre outbreak since last week, the majority of those migrant workers from Myanmar.

(Reporting by Panarat Thepgumpanat and Orathai Sriring; Editing by Shri Navaratnam)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-25

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

the Mae Sai cases were a month ago. I expect this outbreak is completely unrelated. Obviously the fact its a wholesale market where vendors from all over the country travel to and from makes it easy to spread. For so many to be infected its clearly been circulating in the Myanmar community for some time.

Mae Aei has infections as well as a few other locations in Chiang Rai now. That was reported yesterday.  The new color coded scheme they are using for provinces will be the tell all as the colors go to the side where it requires lockdowns and closures like in Samut Sakhon.

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

They are hiding those numbers for whatever reasons, plus the locals do not want the field hospitals in the locations they are being set up.  There was quite the commotion yesterday regarding it.

Messes up their position in the league table. 

5 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

They are hiding those numbers for whatever reasons, plus the locals do not want the field hospitals in the locations they are being set up.  There was quite the commotion yesterday regarding it.

They quoted 35.

6 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

37 local to local infections and 35 migrant. Its not hidden its on the Govt presentation.  I presume field hospitals are used as have 1,000 new Myanmar infections with many probably not serious or asymptomatic is not necessary to hospitalize them.

Where do you see this? Is there a link? I can only find government data through the 24th. Thanks.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

the Mae Sai cases were a month ago. I expect this outbreak is completely unrelated. Obviously the fact its a wholesale market where vendors from all over the country travel to and from makes it easy to spread. For so many to be infected its clearly been circulating in the Myanmar community for some time.

Notice how those infections fizzled out? 

You can’t trust the government here when it comes to accurate numbers. 

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Maybe. But 81 is far less than I expected, so if this holds it is not too bad at all.

The government isn't reporting all the migrant likely infections in their official counts thus far... The 1400 number is presumably based on initial testing out in the field...

But unless they've changed it, the Thai government has a very precise and elaborate process for CONFIRMING a CV infection that requires multiple checks... And they appear to be taking their sweet time in moving all those initial tests thru the confirming process.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The government isn't reporting all the migrant likely infections in their official counts thus far... The 1400 number is presumably based on initial testing out in the field...

But unless they've changed it, the Thai government has a very precise and elaborate process for CONFIRMING a CV infection that requires multiple checks... And they appear to be taking their sweet time in moving all those initial tests thru the confirming process.

On the English news update they said for the migrant cluster in Samut, they had tested over 8,000 and the infection rate was something like 1,400- 15% down from 19%.

35 more today from the migrant community.

What are they leaving out?

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

37 local to local infections and 35 migrant. Its not hidden its on the Govt presentation.  I presume field hospitals are used as have 1,000 new Myanmar infections with many probably not serious or asymptomatic is not necessary to hospitalize them.

The tweet I saw didn't indicate where the 35 had been found. Presumably not Samut Sakhon though, because they said they were announcing those numbers separately. I can see the logic of segregating the Samut Sakhon cluster but why distinguish between Thai nationals and migrant workers in the rest of the country?

51 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The new color coded scheme they are using for provinces

Apart from the color coded map on the official Department of Decease Control webpage, where can I get up to date info on the provinces zone color, DDC shows yellow with 1 infection Wed 23rd, teachers at my kids schools yesterday are saying Red for Phetchabun, with shops and open air markets being closed which is contrary to my visual observations. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Around half the 72 locally transmitted cases reported were linked to an outbreak discovered at the weekend at a seafood centre near the capital Bangkok, the ministry said in a statement.

It did not say where the other cases were from.

59 minutes ago, smutcakes said:

Better look again, it says nothing about the others being Migrants.