mention something good about 2020

sirineou

2 hours ago, GTgrizzly said:

You , me and many others are still above ground, thats a bonus where ever you are

I agree, any day above ground is a good day IMO also, But with all this negativity (most of it justified) of the 2020) In our "above ground" days,

there got to be some silver linings.to distract from all the negative, and perhaps exercise the funny bone a little bit..   :smile:

• Haha 1

[quote]

2020 has been a year we all would like to forget. ...

[/quote]

That's a bit of a blanket assumption.  According to worldofmeters website,  the number of Corona virus cases per 1 million of population in Laos is just 6 - the lowest ratio in the whole world, apart from the islands of Vanuatu.....

For me living in north Laos, 2020 was hardly any different from 2019, except for a few weeks of lockdown earlier in the year.  Life went on (and continues) almost unchanged.  The only difference for me personally is that I slip on a mask when shopping, for the benefit of the shop staff etc, in case I'm breathing out any pathogens (not just Covid 19).

So to answer your question: Almost everything has been good in 2020, same as 2019.

• Like 2

On 12/26/2020 at 4:04 AM, sirineou said:

I am still 7% from where I was before covid, I took a big 20% hit when covid hit, and clawed back 13% then in August I parked my portfolio in an interest only account to ride out what I thought would be a second wave. The second wave came but it does not seem to be affecting the stock market. I was thinking about going back in but now with the new covid strain I am afraid that if it makes the Vaccines ineffective, the market will tumble again.

What you think? 

PS: I hope like the guy above, you dont wake up after the party and have to reconsider you driving skills . LOL

That may happen but in time they will come back. I copped a spanking in March/April but am back to near parity pre-covid. Diversification, solid companies with strong balance sheets and time are our friends. It's not sexy but it works

• Like 1

A few 2020 'silver linings'

1 Gone from a spender to a saver (mainly from fewer trips).

2 Discovered Lazada and mail order food.

3 Stopped drinking alcohol (see point 1)

4 Incident-free driving avoiding those from the near-miss school of motoring.

5 Survived the trial of 1000 cuts to get a new UK passport.

Hoping for a much more travelled 2021 within Thailand.

Edited by Saltire
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Caldera said:

I rekindled my love affair with Thailand.

I staid at some great hotels real cheap.

Bangkok became almost livable again.

Yes, one of the best things this year was the government travel scheme. I have had several trips to places never seen before that would have never happened otherwise. About the best was Khao Kho, even though the weather was cold and wet, a bit like being back in Scotland.

We had a night in Bangkok, Ibis Bangkok Riverside, very pleasant outdoor breakfast.