How to buy in Thailand: laptop North American version without Thai keyboard

wn78

I did the black marking pen thing on one laptop I had -- it was ok, but occasionally I'd have to give some keys a second dab.

OP: another solution would be a USB keyboard, you might get a deal on one at the flea market-type places in the tech malls. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, wn78 said:

Was that just a lucky find?  I don't see a way to specifically search or filter such laptops on their website.

No, Not a lucky find ,I was just looking for a spare laptop (this one I liked  )while I took my time to update my Macbook Pro to 2020 specs and Changed it to an SSD  and up to  16GB. 

There are Many Laptops Everywhere online and in shops in thailand that have US/ UK Keyboards .

I bought a remote keyboard for my lap top. It’s dual characters, but the western alphabet is emboldened. I don’t even notice the Thai script anymore. Might be an option if you find the right machine here which is a Thai character keyboard. Just a thought.

What's the problem with having the Thai letters printed on the keyboard? Besides of how it looks the keyboard is identical.

If it annoys you so much but you also hurry so much, just buy one with a Thai keyboard and exchange the keyboard for a US one later.

On 12/26/2020 at 2:30 PM, clokwise said:

Consequently it will fly through Thai customs and the postie will deliver it direct to you without incident.

Not always. I bought my laptop on Amazon from US to Thailand last year and there is no option to choose courier service which was UPS. Unless you register with UPS with your passport at BKK airport to get an import license, they will put your laptop in storage forever. It takes about 3-4 days to get the import lic sorted and once done apparently does not need doing for future UPS imports. No costs for this besides time wasted.

Previously when buying laptops on Amazon before they shipped to Thailand I used a shipping agent in the US where they let you choose courier, and Fedex went very smoothly door to door without the import license stuff. It would have been cheaper too as Amazon ships duty free to some states in US and the shipping agents let you define import costs to Thailand.

• Thanks 1

Thanks all for your suggestions.  

To sum up, I don’t see an easy solution here.  The locally available choices with pure US layout would be very limited, which defeats the whole purpose if I’m making an investment in a quality laptop.  I will need a premium model in the $1000 range, so I have to get the exact model I want.  

So, these are the choices I see:
-    Buy locally and use a permanent marker to wipe out the Thai letters.  I think the backlight will still shine through the marker, could make it even more annoying.  If it doesn’t work, next step is to contact the manufacturer service point to get the keyboard replaced, and hope they will not invalidate the warranty.  
-    Order from Amazon US, or special order from the manufacturer direct sales, in both cases international shipping will be involved, which will take longer than I can wait.  I can only do that if I can rent a temporary loaner laptop in BKK while I wait…. I wonder if such rental service exists.
-    The easiest:  buy an inexpensive local laptop for the rest of my stay, and then get a permanent replacement once I’m back in the US.  Can I get a low-end laptop for under $300 in BKK with a 13-14” screen?  I can even do away with a used one, but I would need to find a shop where I can test it right there before leaving the shop to make sure WiFi/USB and other important things are working.  Any suggestions are welcome.

37 minutes ago, wn78 said:

To sum up, I don’t see an easy solution here.  The locally available choices with pure US layout would be very limited, which defeats the whole purpose if I’m making an investment in a quality laptop.  I will need a premium model in the $1000 range, so I have to get the exact model I want.  

-    Buy locally and use a permanent marker to wipe out the Thai letters.  I think the backlight will still shine through the marker, could make it even more annoying.  If it doesn’t work, next step is to contact the manufacturer service point to get the keyboard replaced, and hope they will not invalidate the warranty.  
-    Order from Amazon US, or special order from the manufacturer direct sales, in both cases international shipping will be involved, which will take longer than I can wait.  I can only do that if I can rent a temporary loaner laptop in BKK while I wait…. I wonder if such rental service exists.
-    The easiest:  buy an inexpensive local laptop for the rest of my stay, and then get a permanent replacement once I’m back in the US.  Can I get a low-end laptop for under $300 in BKK with a 13-14” screen?  I can even do away with a used one, but I would need to find a shop where I can test it right there before leaving the shop to make sure WiFi/USB and other important things are working.  Any suggestions are welcome.

The easiest would be to go to Fortune town on the 4th floor as their are allot of laptop store there and see what you like, and I say that all major laptop brands would have english/thai keyboards.

• Like 1

On 1/5/2021 at 6:16 AM, wn78 said:

If you are so worried about a UK keyboard for your computer there is a very simple way of solving this.  Buy a UK keyboard that can plug into your computer and bring it with you.  I am not sure how long you are going to be in Thailand but you can then if you need to buy a relatively good one used as a replacement until you van get your laptop fixed.

Personally i think you are making too much out of the Thai characters

I don't know the answer to the original question but I know who does.  By most standards the best, most competent online IT seller in Thailand is "InvadeIt" (www.invadeit.com).  

I don't recall the manager's name (He's Western) but he is 100% responsive to inquiries and if anybody knows, he will.

Just go to their website and send him a query.  You will get an accurate response.

• Thanks 1

On 12/26/2020 at 8:51 AM, ChakaKhan said:

Im typing on a thai pc and also  bought a netbook back in the day-Acer, both have thai letters+english,

but I dont even notice the thai keys....or could be a handy way of learning thai alphabet  

Or could be a way to share my pc should a thai cutie need to check her facebook! ????

yep, I don't know what the problem is for the OP.  Just looked at my external  keyboard that I use with the laptop (full sized) and it has Thai letters and normal QWERTY, never really noticed before.  

11 hours ago, dddave said:

I don't know the answer to the original question but I know who does.  By most standards the best, most competent online IT seller in Thailand is "InvadeIt" (www.invadeit.com).  

I don't recall the manager's name (He's Western) but he is 100% responsive to inquiries and if anybody knows, he will.

Just go to their website and send him a query.  You will get an accurate response.

That's a really good tip, thanks !  

On 1/5/2021 at 6:16 AM, wn78 said:

The easy solution is to not break your laptop or get it stolen? I have been travelling to Thailand with laptops since 1989 and never had these two scenarios happen? If you are so certain it will why not bring a 2nd with you before you come.

I used to buy my laptops by going overseas to get them back in the early 90's when there was not much choice in Thailand, now I would just buy on Amazon from US where the exact hi spec models are available and expect it delivered in Thailand in about 5 days. If 5 days is too long for you then bring 2 laptops with you.

On 1/12/2021 at 9:30 AM, Pilotman said:

yep, I don't know what the problem is for the OP.  Just looked at my external  keyboard that I use with the laptop (full sized) and it has Thai letters and normal QWERTY, never really noticed before.  

replying on my thai laptop and never notice the thai letters unless I actual "look" for them....mai pen rai!

I look at it as an added bonus if want to practice thai....maybe a black sharpie to color them out! ????

• Like 1

I certainly would have no objection to the Thai lettering, but here they are all U.S. keyboards with Thai lettering, and I'd want UK keyboards. Fortunately my UK laptop is only around 6 months old so plenty of life left, and I have a couple of UK wireless keyboard and mouse sets as well. Of course in a few years time I may have to go the US/Thai route, and by that time I'd be OK with that.

33 minutes ago, Tuvoc said:

I certainly would have no objection to the Thai lettering, but here they are all U.S. keyboards with Thai lettering, and I'd want UK keyboards. Fortunately my UK laptop is only around 6 months old so plenty of life left, and I have a couple of UK wireless keyboard and mouse sets as well. Of course in a few years time I may have to go the US/Thai route, and by that time I'd be OK with that.

In most cases you can just change the keyboard or have it changed for you.

Though I'm using a laptop bought here and other than having @ & " swapped in comparison with a UK keyboard, there is no difference in daily usage.