Thailand to launch first moon mission

rooster59

The drawing that accompanies this new report is rather misleading.  A spacecraft that weighs 300 Kg will not carry any humans..

I think the Thais are irked by the recent and successful missions by China and Japan to land space probes on the moon and a small asteroid (respectively), to collect rock and dust samples, and to return these successfully back to the earth.

But putting a small Cubesat into orbit around the earth (I mentioned this in the other, recent space thread), is rather different to launching a probe to land on the moon....

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The spacecraft will travel at 11 kilometres per hour to the moon, before slowing to enter lunar orbit at 2kph.

It's going to take a while to get there. Space cadets will be beyond retirement age or dead before they get there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rooster59 said:

Minister Anek Laothamatas announced on Thursday that Thailand will produce high-tech satellites in four years, before advancing to build a spaceship with a weight of 300 kilograms for a mission to the moon.

One way to escape the dreaded virus I suppose.

Or maybe they see space as a continuation of the threat they wanted the extra submarines for.

I thought I'd read and heard everything but this beats it again, just 3bt billion for exploring what's above our head! As we didn't know that already. Just unbelievable how and with what totally idiotic individuals keep themselves occupied in this country. Might create more social welfare & benefit funds for the poor or uneducated instead of this but that's probably not good for the great image of Thai society. ????    

• Like 1