Two new COVID-19 infection clusters reported in Thailand

rooster59

Two new COVID-19 infection clusters reported in Thailand

E24B4801-6130-4192-A9A4-0E281D2FDA10.jpeg

Thailand’s Disease Control Department has reported two new clusters of COVID-19 infections, one involving 19 big bike enthusiasts, who had gathered for a celebration on Lanta Island in the southern province of Krabi, and the other involving a group of nine gamblers in the eastern province of Rayong.

Dr. Sophon Iamsirithavorn, director of the Communicable Disease Division, said today that the bikers, coming from Samut Sakhon, Phuket, Songkhla and Bangkok, had gathered on Lanta Island on December 11th and 12th.

The first infection among them was a 45-year old from Samut Sakhon. Then more bikers from Krabi, Phuket, Bangkok and Songkhla and their family members were found to be infected.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/two-new-covid-19-infection-clusters-reported-in-thailand/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-12-27

• Thanks 1

I like my clusters to be Chocolate, Marshmallow, and almonds.  If they are saying that another cluster involves nine gamblers and their family members in Rayong province, then what would they say about the 18+ cases in Bangkok, or for that matter any of the other areas that have 9 or more, are they clusters as well.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Not too many new infections, and mainly in clusters. That is all good news, means with good tracking and tracing (and yes, Thailand has been extremely good at that), it can hopefully be contained.

tracking and tracing when practically nobody uses the Thai-Chana Q-Code anymore or the sign-in books. On entering my local TESCO I was surprised to find that the last person to enter was 5 days before.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

it was reported by thai drs in the last few days they think mahachai and its workers whether burmese or thai have been infected some time so if hes correct then...........a lot of testing will find a lot of infections but no ones ill so it appears the people infected are too young to be sick badly or foreign so scared to test or cant afford it probably both.an elderly lady was sick and this has started the wider testing programme and as we track these infected folks we find more infected people,be interesting to see what a blanket test of 100k people would pick up in bkk.thais have plenty of money so use it,all that money saved on moon shots and subs pays for a lotta testing and vaccines then theres also the super rich who can donate

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, robblok said:

How is it possible that only testing at hospitals lead to zero domestic spreads ? I mean if someone is sick and gets tested he gets registered. Its true that only people with problems will come to the hospitals and not people who are a symptomatic but it still does not mean that if it is in country it wont be registered. 

Unless you say its all a bid conspiracy and positives wont be made public and swept under the rug. Id like some proof of that then. It would involve all people at testing facilities to lie and not to post any of it on social media. It would be a big cover up. Also hospitals could not hide sick people So unless you got some proof its is not really convincing what you say.

He does that on a continuous basis, posting his opinion, not based on any facts and as seen here quite often impossible, as facts.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

tracking and tracing when practically nobody uses the Thai-Chana Q-Code anymore or the sign-in books. On entering my local TESCO I was surprised to find that the last person to enter was 5 days before.

My surprise was greater than yours when i found the book full and no replacement and my temp was 31.4 yep 31.4 and the mrs and the lady behind.

2 hours ago, robblok said:

Unless you say its all a bid conspiracy and positives wont be made public and swept under the rug. Id like some proof of that then. It would involve all people at testing facilities to lie and not to post any of it on social media. It would be a big cover up. Also hospitals could not hide sick people So unless you got some proof its is not really convincing what you say.

You asked....

"Since Sunday, more than 1,000 migrant workers have tested positive for the virus, along with Thais working or living near the seafood market, which supplies much of the country.

... about 10,000 people at risk have been tested. Cases traced to the Samut Sakhon market have been found in 27 provinces, the government said.

Health authorities on Thursday confirmed 67 new cases, bringing the nation’s total to 5,829 including 60 deaths. New cases among migrant workers were not reported on Wednesday and Thursday, with the explanation that they were being rechecked."

https://apnews.com/article/international-news-public-health-myanmar-coronavirus-pandemic-prayuth-chan-ocha-a9d6b62d04316ae59a459380a934b245

Emphasis on the final sentence:

New cases (referring to the 1000+ positive tests mentioned above) among migrant workers were not reported on Wednesday and Thursday, with the explanation that they were being rechecked."

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

also:

https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2020/12/23/govt-virus-tally-now-excludes-figures-from-samut-sakhon/

Gov’t Virus Tally Now Excludes Figures From Samut Sakhon

December 23, 2020

"BANGKOK — The government’s pandemic response center on Wednesday appeared to adopt a new policy of leaving out numbers of new coronavirus cases in Samut Sakhon in today’s news briefing.

The Center for the COVID-19 Situation Administration reported only 46 new cases nationwide today, without mentioning how many were found in Samut Sakhon province, where at least 1,000 cases were discovered in recent days.

Center spokesman Taweesin Visanuyothin did not say why the latest update from the province was excluded in the briefing, though he said it will be reported at a later time."

2 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

After New Year we need the baht in the till.

Mid (or sooner) to late Jan. The virus is certainly on the run. There are two courses of action I can see. The first is to actually try to contain it with a lockdown, mass test and trace. The second is to stop testing or not release the true figures and say it's contained.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

Not too many new infections, and mainly in clusters. That is all good news, means with good tracking and tracing (and yes, Thailand has been extremely good at that), it can hopefully be contained.

A rare positive note. Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, rupert the bear said:

it was reported by thai drs in the last few days they think mahachai and its workers whether burmese or thai have been infected some time so if hes correct then...........a lot of testing will find a lot of infections but no ones ill so it appears the people infected are too young to be sick badly or foreign so scared to test or cant afford it probably both.an elderly lady was sick and this has started the wider testing programme and as we track these infected folks we find more infected people,be interesting to see what a blanket test of 100k people would pick up in bkk.thais have plenty of money so use it,all that money saved on moon shots and subs pays for a lotta testing and vaccines then theres also the super rich who can donate

Those young people may not have symptoms, there are contagious nevertheless. As for the bikers and gamblers, they looked for it.