Britain to restrict promotion of unhealthy food from April 2022

webfact

Britain to restrict promotion of unhealthy food from April 2022

2020-12-28T003202Z_1_LYNXMPEGBR00N_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-BRITAIN-RESTAURANTS.JPG

Chips are seen at Hawksmoor, Seven Dials on the opening day of "Eat Out to Help Out" scheme, amid the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, in London, Britain August 3, 2020. Picture taken August 3, 2020. REUTERS/Dylan Martinez

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain will ban "buy one get one free" promotions for food high in fat, sugar or salt and free refills of sugary soft drinks in restaurants from April 2022, the government said on Monday, its latest step in its plan to tackle obesity and improve public health.

The government says obesity is one of Britain's biggest long-term public health problems with almost two-thirds of adults in England overweight and one in three children leaving primary school overweight or obese.

The measures will also restrict where in a store promotions on such products can be advertised, and unhealthy promotions will not be allowed at checkouts, shop entrances or at the ends of aisles.

"We are restricting promotions and introducing a range of measures to make sure the healthy choice is the easy choice. Creating an environment which helps everyone eat healthier foods more regularly is crucial to improving the health of the nation," public health minister Jo Churchill said.

Britain first proposed restricting "buy one get one free" deals on junk food in July, and also announced measures such as banning TV and online adverts for junk food before 9.00 p.m.

Last month the government went further and proposed a total ban on online advertising of unhealthy food.

Being overweight has been shown to increase the risk of serious illness or death from COVID-19 - a fact highlighted by Prime Minister Boris Johnson who has publicly talked about his own need to lose weight since being hospitalised with the disease.

(Reporting by Alistair Smout, editing by Louise Heavens)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-12-28

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Bender Rodriguez said:

this will not work... I know Type 2 diabetic patients that prefer to inject insulin a few times per day, than to try to lose 10 percent body fat and be possibly medication free...

Can only be medication free if they stay on low to no carb. Most people are not willing to do that. There is no cure for diabetic, just can keep it under control with no carbs or medicine. 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Can only be medication free if they stay on low to no carb. Most people are not willing to do that. There is no cure for diabetic, just can keep it under control with no carbs or medicine. 

Actually if those overweight people lose minimum 20kg very fast the diabetes will go away but must maintain the lower weight or it will just come back .

Everyone including children should also be given a diet sheet, made to exercise 30 mins per day, given an appropriate IQ assessed career, monitored at all times by holy NHS and unable to receive treatment if rules are broken ....

Or

Let adults choose to live the life and eat the diet they wish... 

What happened to the my body my choice luvvy brigade ? seem to be a lot on a diet of hypocrisy  here lately.. 

• Like 1

Give all youngsters under the age of 16 free access to a gym.  That would be a good start.  Only last week I stood at the reception of my local gym, when two fat boys, sent from there school to sign up were told it was x amount to attend. They walked away saying it was to expensive.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, englishoak said:

Everyone including children should also be given a diet sheet, made to exercise 30 mins per day, given an appropriate IQ assessed career, monitored at all times by holy NHS and unable to receive treatment if rules are broken ....

Or

Let adults choose to live the life and eat the diet they wish... 

What happened to the my body my choice luvvy brigade ? seem to be a lot on a diet of hypocrisy  here lately..

I'd agree with the idea of daily exercise.

From I can see these days, the most exercise kids get is with their fingers on a smart-phone. Diabetes and RSI are becoming the new normal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Good. 

Now provide all schools and communities with green space areas for exercise and sports, gym facilities for all, fund healthy meal programs in schools and areas of poverty, restrict the number of fast food outlets in a given area and ban those close to schools from opening during their lunch breaks. 

Yes I know none of the above will happen but unless they do this window dressing move will not work. 

Right on,how about getting the ball rolling by offering to pay more tax?

• Sad 1

"The overwhelming majority of adults in England are so unhealthy they put their lives at risk, a survey suggests. The data from the Health Survey for England showed nearly nine in 10 had at least one unhealthy trait. "

What a load of <deleted>. One "unhealthy" trait will NOT put your life at risk at all, unles it's eating 50 burgers a day! A portion of chips does not make you fat, lack of exercise is the main cause nowadays.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Donut21 said:

Give all youngsters under the age of 16 free access to a gym.  That would be a good start.  Only last week I stood at the reception of my local gym, when two fat boys, sent from there school to sign up were told it was x amount to attend. They walked away saying it was to expensive.

Unfortunately if you look at budget food stores where a lot of parents are forced to shop,all the cheap food is very bad for you,what happened to jamie olivers crusade in introducing healthy school dinners?

• Sad 1

Figure out what a sugary diet is costing the public through NHS, divide it by the amount of sugar sold in a year and slap a tax on sugar that reflects its true cost.  Do the same for smokes and booze, and anything else that's costing the public money.

Everyone will still have free choice.  But they'll be paying the true cost for that extra large Coca Cola.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Donut21 said:

And bring back PT in schools. My secondary school's PT / "Gym" master was an ex-army drill sergeant. He terrified the cr*p out of us but we certainly got some exercise with him in charge! He had a fearsome reputation for dishing out corporal punishment (cane and slipper were still in use) ....and as far as I know NEVER actually hit anybody - sheer force of personality and earned respect!

When he left, the whole school gave him a standing ovation - lovely man. 

Having said all that, which is actually :offtopic:IMO it's nothing to bloody well do with the Nanny State what we eat or drink....BUTT OUT! ????

Edited by VBF
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, from the home of CC said:

coming from a country who wanted to keep the bars open during the worst outbreak of disease in modern history, boggles the mind...

They won’t be told. 

I think most of the 66% of Brits who are plus size know generally that high fat and sugar makes them fat already but they still eat it to unhealthy levels anyway. 
I doubt banning some advertising will make much difference. To make a difference they would actually have to ban the food. 

Is this a brainstorm of Boris who recently decided to lose weight after nearly dying of covid? He does have quite a nice set of lovely man boobs.

DB3E98DF-D94B-4A7D-9EDF-FE1E04A2BAE1.jpeg

DCFF56FA-55CE-4F2A-BF74-9E8284597F5C.jpeg

412C6F17-6CDA-4774-A39C-66660E6FA03D.jpeg

• Haha 1