Separated - Can I keep living in Thailand?

Hello everybody,

I have been living in Thailand for many years, using an extension of stay based on marriage to a Thai women.

Sadly our relationship has turned sour and I left our home.

I'm currently staying with a friend, while looking for a place of my own.

My extension of stay is valid until October 2021.

My questions:

- Can I keep living in Thailand until 10-2021 without any problems? I'm still married, right?

- If so, what address do I use on my 90 days report? Wife's house or my new residence?

- Is a work permit required to rent an apartment? Or can I just show my permission to stay to the landlord?

Guess I need to do a TM30 report too right?

Any help would be much appreciated.

MR

Edited by MaiRoo

Divorce is the only thing that ends your extension so technically it will remains valid until it expires if you do not get divorced.

The only problem could be your 90 day reports but you could still keep doing them using your old address at the office where you are registered.

Doing a TM30 report could change your registered address but that would not affect your extension of stay.

You do not need a work permit to rent a place to stay. All you need to show is your passport photo page for ID purposes.

When you extension ends you change to one based upon another reason with a little help from your wife if you are not divorced.

• Like 1

Thanks for your help everybody :-)

We're not talking about a divorce yet, but I'm not really hopeful about our future together.

Glad to hear I don't need a work permit to rent though.

Looking at your replies I must say I'm a bit confused about what would be the best thing to do with my 90 days reports.

If I rent an apartment I would need to do a TM30 to report that place as my residence, right?

But doing so would make the immigration office suspicious about our marriage I think.

On the other hand, if I use my wife's home as my residence I would be making a false 90 days report.

Going the honest way (TM30) seems to be the best choice.

You guys agree?

Technically you are still married so you continue with that extension of stay. You are residing in a different home the possessor of that property should do a TM 30 for you.

You could continue to do 90 day reports on your own.

The problem would arise at your next visa extension of stay when your wife is needed to be present for the extension of stay based on marriage (if she will accompany and support you if still married) or you may need to find an alternative for long stay in Thailand.

No work permit is required to rent in Thailand.

Edited by userabcd

OP, you have not stated clearly situation with current wife. The experts such as Ubonjoe and others have stated that your AOK as your still married.

Clearly I'm wrong in my thinking that your extension was based on living together along with marriage. 

I would do nothing regards TM30 etc.

If wife is currently not throwing bricks at you and is understanding of extension requirements then do nothing. 

If you subsequently end up divorcing that's another story. 

Are you over 50?

Without sidetracking thread can an expert clear this point up for me regarding being married but separated.

In some western countries it is not uncommon to be ( permanently separated) however have not gone through divorce process.

My understanding is that in Thailand you need to live together as well as be married to satisfy extension conditions. 

I'm not referring to home visits etc for annual extensions. Are home visits even common for places such as Bangkok? 

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

Without sidetracking thread can an expert clear this point up for me regarding being married but separated.

In some western countries it is not uncommon to be ( permanently separated) however have not gone through divorce process.

My understanding is that in Thailand you need to live together as well as be married to satisfy extension conditions. 

I'm not referring to home visits etc for annual extensions. Are home visits even common for places such as Bangkok? 

Where I am they go overboard to see that you are still together, a witness has to sign a statement to the fact, using their ID card etc. Immigration never said a word to me, just the witnesses..

If that is a problem then it looks like the retirement route with all the financial hurdles.

But, I know a bloke (now) in the same situation, he used an agent in Patts, I think, cost 18,000bht..

I know a couple of expats in the same situation. They have made arrangements with their ex wives to assist them at visa renewal time. You scratch my back and I'll scratch your back arrangements. Something to consider.

33 minutes ago, JeffersLos said:

If they and you have no plans to remarry with other people, can stay officially married and help each other out.

You help with some money every so often, she helps with visa and other red tape stuff. 

That's the idea. Obviously at this early stage immediately after a break up, OP's wife will probably not be interested in helping him in any way, but his visa is valid until October 2021, so the situation will have cooled down by then and he can work something out. 

BTW MaiRoo: "Is a work permit required to rent an apartment? Or can I just show my permission to stay to the landlord?" I've rented heaps of apartments & houses over the years and never had to show, or been asked for,  a WP or permission to stay. All you need is landlord/lady to make a copy of your PP details page and latest arrival page for the lease agreement and to do the immigration notification.

3 minutes ago, TSF said:

All you need is landlord/lady to make a copy of your PP details page and latest arrival page for the lease agreement and to do the immigration notification.

The immigration notification you refer to is a TM30. That would be last thing that the OP should do. His current address should continue if wife is agreeable. 

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

The immigration notification you refer to is a TM30. That would be last thing that the OP should do. His current address should continue if wife is agreeable. 

But what are the legal implications for the landlord, renting to someone without filing a TM30?  On one hand, he gets to rent the place tax free, since there's no foreigner demanding a TM30 for visa purposes.  But could that cause the landlord legal/tax problems if it came to light?  The well managed complex where I rented in BKK kept their nose very clean when it came to reporting and TM30's.

5 minutes ago, impulse said:

But what are the legal implications for the landlord, renting to someone without filing a TM30?  On one hand, he gets to rent the place tax free, since there's no foreigner demanding a TM30 for visa purposes.  But could that cause the landlord legal/tax problems if it came to light?  The well managed complex where I rented in BKK kept their nose very clean when it came to reporting and TM30's.

First up there is zero connection of immigration offices to tax department.

I have lived in a very well managed condo for 10 years. I deal with CW for retirement extensions. Never ever summited TM30 myself or condo management. During that time pre covid situation went to Saigon every month.

1 minute ago, connda said:

I was pretty sure your wife needs to accompany you for your visa extension. 

I never wrote that was not needed to apply for the extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage.

I just wrote that only getting divorced cancels the extension based upon marriage. Being separated does not end the extension.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I never wrote that was not needed to apply for the extension of stay (it is not a visa) based upon marriage.

I just wrote that only getting divorced cancels the extension based upon marriage. Being separated does not end the extension.

Thanks Ubonjoe from everyone on visa forum for another years efforts .

Regarding this thread. What would the situation be if 'wife' complained to imm office that indeed they had separated. Would the chap still have valid permission of stay until next extension. Would all imm offices be consistent on this.

Hi,

i have non-o married and extended via agency (29K baht)

sadly my 8 year marriage finished officially 1 month ago. I didnt go to immigration to tell my situation. Im still on my marriage visa and i also have work permit too.

good thing is they not check. 

you are still married on paper. no need to panic. but soon or later she will ask for that too probably. So if you want PM me and i can give you the agency contact i used. They can extend your visa but will be not the same city you are living. probably Esan area