Losing weight in a healthy way to fight Covid-19

snoop1130

Losing weight in a healthy way to fight Covid-19

Veg-basket.jpg

Experts say eating less but healthily and being more active is one of the keys to losing weight safely and might even protect against Covid-19.

The start of a new year allows people to set their goals for what will hopefully be a productive 12 months ahead. And when it comes to setting goals for a new year, eating better, losing weight and getting in shape in the hope that it will improve both our health and our looks are among the most popular resolutions.

But what’s the best way to achieve healthy weight loss? Some claim the key is to eat less and move more. Many say restricting calories is the only way to go and become obsessed with numbers, busily counting the calories if not of every bite, at least of every portion they eat. Others swear by cutting down on carbs and increasing protein intake.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/losing-weight-in-a-healthy-way-to-fight-covid-19/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2021-01-22

2 hours ago, rjhklein said:

Thai food is great but often very sweet... The rice is fatting up most as well. It's not entirely true that less calories in and more out is the right way...

I dropped 30 kg over the last few years in Thailand with help of intermittent fasting, keto and running. 

Let me know if you need some help ????

You have destroyed your own argument by contradictory statements in your post.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

It's the only way, and everybody who says something else has no idea what they are talking about.

Agreed.

and I am doing it now. I started December 29th.

Cut portions, cut carbs, no beer abd 5 miles a day walking.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Wrong. It's the way of failure. People can and do lose weight that way but over 99 percent regain the weight and more. Why is that? The metabolism is reset to burn fewer calories and it never recovers. Almost nobody can starve themselves for the rest of their lives.

There are ways around this but they have nothing to do with calorie counting.

Namely -- intermittent fasting. Nothing to do with calorie counting.

Diets are rubbish if you ask me.

Just eat properly and watch the weight hopefully fly off.  If you diet, it will all just go back.  If you are suffering and eating causes you to suffer, you will simply revert back to your prior habits sooner or later.  

I've been overweight by 10 kilos, maybe 13.  By changing my diet long ago and eating properly, I am completely normal and feel great.  

That's just me, I'm no dietician, and some people do have problems with metabolism.  No judgement here.  

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Keeping it real!

I am down 4.5 kilos in three weeks.

I am checking portions and all what I have said and actually I am intermittent fasting because I don't eat after 7pm or eat again until 2pm the following day, or as close as I can. I have broke this a couple of times.

That means my window of eating is like 5 hours, and I am exercising 1.5 hours out of that.

I am drinking 2 in 1 coffee with sweeteners and I do not care that they break the rules. 

Man has to have some pleasures.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I am checking portions and all what I have said and actually I am intermittent fasting because I don't eat after 7pm or eat again until 2pm the following day, or as close as I can. I have broke this a couple of times.

That means my window of eating is like 5 hours, and I am exercising 1.5 hours out of that.

I am drinking 2 in 1 coffee with sweeteners and I do not care that they break the rules. 

Sounds promising. So you're on a 5 / 19 fast. I'm on a 4 / 20 and considering "upgrading" to one meal a day. The thing is this isn't a one size fits all type of thing. Some people respond well to a 8 / 16 but many need to go more extreme. 

In my opinion the the 2 in 1 coffee is a mistake though. If you can't do black coffee, I would suggest a little bit of cream and no sweeteners. I assume you're talking about having the coffee during your fasting zone. During my fasting time I drink black coffee, well dilluted apple cider vinegar with Himalayan salt (upon waking), water, and soda water. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

Are you counting calories? This is the most difficult aspect for me. 

5 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Wrong. It's the way of failure. People can and do lose weight that way but over 99 percent regain the weight and more. Why is that? The metabolism is reset to burn fewer calories and it never recovers. Almost nobody can starve themselves for the rest of their lives.

Intermittent fasting is more starving yourself than calorie counting

If you eat the right foods you can feel full all day and still be within a calorie deficit

its the only diet I’ve ever found to work, and trains you what foods to eat and avoid

if you are fasting you’re probably still in a calorie deficit, cramming so much food into such a short period of time makes it difficult to go over

Refined sugar a killer for sure, but breads and rice are also gonna do you as they go right to sugar in the gut. Anyway, blah blah. You gotta push yourself... unless your heart is bumping outta the ribcage and your feeding yourself right (let's face it, humans eat absolute shiyte), you're going down. Look how most animals roll. They eat what they were built to eat, with ease, and tend to sail through life with a certain synergy and je ne sais quo. The point: we have totally lost our way with the world and our humble beginnings, not knowing what to eat and focusing on <deleted> like television and not what matters. Yuck. Sorry. Rant over.

30 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

Intermittent fasting is more starving yourself than calorie counting

If you eat the right foods you can feel full all day and still be within a calorie deficit

its the only diet I’ve ever found to work, and trains you what foods to eat and avoid

if you are fasting you’re probably still in a calorie deficit, cramming so much food into such a short period of time makes it difficult to go over

Intermittent fasting is not starving because the body aromatically adjusts to the lack of incoming sugars as it switches to digest stored calories. Think of it as switching to internal power. This is  one of the reasons for fasting.

A Norwegian friend with type II diabetes had a 24 hr insulin dispenser installed with a tube through his stomach wall. If his blood sugar goes too low, he must eat candy bars or he will pass out. His wife is there to help him if he does. I asked him what happens if he passes out alone with the machine still running. He says he wakes up after a few hours and feel OK except for a headache. That's because his metabolism switched to consume internal calories.

You body is designed to do this. I think of fasting as exercising your body's natural mechanisms.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, rabas said:

Intermittent fasting is not starving because the body aromatically adjusts to the lack of incoming sugars as it switches to digest stored calories. Think of it as switching to internal power. This is  one of the reasons for fasting.

A Norwegian friend with type II diabetes had a 24 hr insulin dispenser installed with a tube through his stomach wall. If his blood sugar goes too low, he must eat candy bars or he will pass out. His wife is there to help him if he does. I asked him what happens if he passes out alone with the machine still running. He says he wakes up after a few hours and feel OK except for a headache. That's because his metabolism switched to consume internal calories.

You body is designed to do this. I think of fasting as exercising your body's natural mechanisms.

Exactly! That's the key. If you can successfully force the body through its natural responses to switch to living on your fat during the fasting periods, you avoid hunger, you can reverse disease processes, you can lose weight, and unlike traditional diets with 99 percent failure rates in terms of keeping the weight off, it is more sustainable because you are not deprived and you avoid hunger. Not saying fasting is a magic pill with 100 percent long term success as there as so many individual factors (and a program that works for one person won't work for another). But it's super easy to beat a 99 percent failure rate. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

they should change the name from intermittant fasting to something like Planned eating to get rid of the stigma.  And honestly...is it really fasting when you still eat everyday?

BTW, IF is one of the easiest and best ways to lose that weight and increase testosterone.  Tough to untrain yourself from constant eating for it in the beginning.  Easy once you retrain your habits.

*I fought weight my entire life till I started this.  Born with the 'fat genetic body type.

Calories I haven't seen as an issue when doing IF (if you are honestly doing it).

Work out while fasted and you get even better results.  

Move to resistance training over cardio for better weight loss results as well.

Low carb is a must.

Drink liquor (without sugary mixers) instead of beer.  That kind of falls under the low carb umbrella.

You can eat high fat, or low fat.  Depends on what eating plan you are going to follow most.  but stick to a singular plan.  Mixing 'fad' diets ends up in failure.
Vegetarian can work, so can carnivore.  The two factions are willing to go to war on which is 'healthy" though.

Sugar is definitely your worst enemy.

Drink water.  A LOT.  Start your day with a liter before anything else.  6-7 liters will do you great during a day.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Intermittent fasting is one of many ways to achieve less calories in than calories out.

In the end it depends on each indivdual person which method will work for them, but the principle of less calories in than calories out always applies.

10 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Intermittent fasting is one of many ways to achieve less calories in than calories out.

In the end it depends on each indivdual person which method will work for them, but the principle of less calories in than calories out always applies.

what do you recommend then? an 8-hour window of eating?

it's on of the few diets i've never tried, normally because suggest skipping breakfast (hungriest time of the day for me)

27 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

it's on of the few diets i've never tried, normally because suggest skipping breakfast (hungriest time of the day for me)

As I said, it depends, what works for one person might not work for another. Principally I wouldn't classify diets itself as "bad" or "good". If a certain diet works for you, then it's good for you.

But it's always about calories, so whatever diet somebody plans to do, it should always involve counting calories.

For some people "intermittent fasting" might work without counting calories, because due to the limited time frame they eat below their "calories out" level and thus loose weight, lucky you, but don't assume it's so easy for everybody.

Then there are other people who believe some <deleted> that they read online like "with intermittent fasting you don't need to count calories" (written by lucky people who didn't provide the full information) and they continue to eat Pizza, Burgers, Cake, Chocolate and so on, eat 4000 calories in a 6 hour window and wonder that they don't lose weight, even though they are "intermittent fasting".

Some basics, which apply to every diet you might do:

- Less calories in than calories out, that's how you lose weight.

- The easiest one: Don't drink calories. No alcohol, no Coke (Light/Zero is OK if you fancy it, it doesn't have calories, water would be more healthy though), no fruit juice, no smoothie and so on

- Reduce sugars (also other carbs, but especially sugar!) as much as possible, sugar causes spikes in your Insulin level, which make you hungry, the less sugar you consume the less hungry you feel. Sweeteners are OK

- Increase protein, they make you feel full and help you to not lose so many muscles

- Increase vegetables, low calories, make you full

- Portion control. Cut your food intake into smaller portions, this means your stomach will get less stretched, you won't feel so hungry (at first you will feel hungry and not satisfied, but this goes away after a few days)

Most people struggle with a diet in the first one or two weeks, because you feel hungry most of the time, after this you get used to it and it gets easier.

I would recommend you just try a diet which you might like for a month, and then decide if you like it. If you don't like it just try another.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

8 didn't do much for me.  4-6 works well for me though.

Start with 8 though.  Progress, not perfection.

Doesn't matter what time of day you choose, just that you stick to it.

for me, I like to wait till like 4.  then I don't have to think about quitting eating after I start (or want to go to dinner out or have drinks).  And I'm not hungry in mornings.  Most people aren't...until they eat something.  But everyone is different.

Some don't think you get the calories...but when I eat first meal iit's huge.  take 20 minute siesta and get up and eat more lol.  I'm hungry again. Not forcing it.  Then I'll eat some sort of sweet.  and usually have something before bed again.  This is what I like though.  Again, work off your habits and routine.

Whenever you start eating now...move it back an hour for your first week. then an hour later the next week.  And you'll have to make a conscious time to QUIT eating/drinking calories.  So, maybe you are not super hungry at your final hour?  eat something anyways.  Then you won't cheat later.**

**the key is the remaining in the fast once you start.  More hours the better.