Satisfying the 800K requirement in the bank 3 MONTHS AFTER the visa

Could someone please settle an argument I'm having about having to show 800K in the bank for 3 months after your retirement visa is issued.

I have to report to Immigration AFTER Jan 27th to show that 800K has been in the bank for 3 months from the visa issue date. In my mind, if I go below the 800K (keeping above the 400K) on Feb 10th then go to Immigration on Feb 12th (with a bank book made up daily, say), that should be acceptable because I've satisfied the requirement.

A friend of mine disagrees and says I cannot go below the 800K until I've been to Immigration and proven that at least that figure is still in the bank. Only after that visit can I use the money and go down as far as 400K.

All thoughts welcome. 

You can go below 800k baht as long as it is not less than 400k baht after it has been 3 months since you applied for your extension.

It is does not have to be 800k baht when you show your bank book to prove it was still there at the end of the 3rd months.

I didn't need to show up at immigration 3 months after approval last year.

I showed them when I went to immigration to renew my visa for another year recently,  as long as it's 800k 3 months after approval, it's alright.

When you show to them shouldn't be a problem (at least in my area). My extension was approved.

2 minutes ago, EricTh said:

I showed them when I went to immigration to renew my visa for another year recently,  as long as it's 800k 3 months after approval, it's alright.

When you show to them shouldn't be a problem (at least in my area).

My guess would be that the OP is dealing with perhaps Jomtien.

The vast majority of imm offices do not have the return after 3 months to show BB.

However couple do and would be best advised to comply.

Early this month, I saw a yearly retirement extension from Pathum Thani, which had a paper attached to the passport with the following:

Retirement Visa

After you extend your retirement visa, you must submit immigration 

1. Your passport

2. Bank Book 800.000 THB or pension certificate

for update your stay permitted on dd-mmm-yyyy (3 months after the extension date)

and

Bank Book 400.000 or pension certificate

for update your stay permitted on dd-mmm-yyyy (6 months after the extension date).

(If not, you must get visa cancellation.)

UNQUOTE

I took a picture of it for my files, so text is accurate.

Sorry I forgot to mention it is Jomtien.

The requirement that you go 3 months after your new visa is totally ridiculous. There is no proof (in your passport) that you've even done it, if you were to be challenged later.

It baffles me why they don't start a 'new' 90day reporting sequence when you renew your visa, because in some instances you have to go back 2 weeks later and do a 90day report which is ridiculous. If they did that, then they could check the 800K on the first 90day reporting visit.

4 minutes ago, Resident Alien said:

Early this month, I saw a yearly retirement extension from Pathum Thani, which had a paper attached to the passport with the following:

Retirement Visa

After you extend your retirement visa, you must submit immigration 

1. Your passport

2. Bank Book 800.000 THB or pension certificate

for update your stay permitted on dd-mmm-yyyy (3 months after the extension date)

and

Bank Book 400.000 or pension certificate

for update your stay permitted on dd-mmm-yyyy (6 months after the extension date).

(If not, you must get visa cancellation.)

UNQUOTE

I took a picture of it for my files, so text is accurate.

Wow. Here's an example of showing 400K after 6 months.

I've yet to hear of somebody (and I'm sure there is someone) who tried to renew and failed one of those requirements.

18 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can go below 800k baht as long as it is not less than 400k baht after it has been 3 months since you applied for your extension.

It is does not have to be 800k baht when you show your bank book to prove it was still there at the end of the 3rd months.

A bit off topic but for an O extension based on retirement, do you have to get the extension in the same province where the original O was issued? This will be my first extension but I don’t live now in the province where the original O was obtained.

4 minutes ago, claynlr said:

A bit off topic but for an O extension based on retirement, do you have to get the extension in the same province where the original O was issued? This will be my first extension but I don’t live now in the province where the original O was obtained.

I believe your first must be done where the non O was issued. Subsequently you can do a TM30 and obtain your following extension in another Provence.

Wait for expert not 100% about this. 

29 minutes ago, claynlr said:

Yes, your very first 1-year extension based on the original 90-day Non Imm O Visa, must be done at the same IO where you applied for that Non Imm O Visa.

Once you have the 1-year permission to stay stamp in your passport, you can then 'administratively' relocate to the province where you are currently residing.  Such relocation needs to be done in person at the IO of the province where you are currently residing, by filing a TM-30 (applicable in most provinces, but some still require a TM-27 to notify them of your relocation).

18 hours ago, Rigsby said:

The requirement that you go 3 months after your new visa is totally ridiculous. There is no proof (in your passport) that you've even done it, if you were to be challenged later.

It baffles me why they don't start a 'new' 90day reporting sequence when you renew your visa, because in some instances you have to go back 2 weeks later and do a 90day report which is ridiculous. If they did that, then they could check the 800K on the first 90day reporting visit.

In SiSaKet IO they have now also introduced the 3-month bank-balance check for those making use of the Funds-in-Bank method for their Non Imm O or O-A based 1-year extensions.

But at moment of 1-year extension application they also reset your 90-day reporting cycle (actually they do that already earlier by 'capping' your last 90-day report till permission to stay expiry-date).

And so you can do both your next 90-day report as well as the 3-month bank-balance check in one go.  In contrast with the 1-year extension application, for that 3-month bank-balance check at SiSaKet IO they ONLY need to see your updated bank-book, so no need to get hold of a 3-month bank-statement for that check.

But of course, living far away from the IO, that 3-month bank-balance check is a nuisance, as I normally never go to SiSaKet because I do my 90-day reports on-line.

7 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

In SiSaKet IO they have now also introduced the 3-month bank-balance check for those making use of the Funds-in-Bank method for their Non Imm O or O-A based 1-year extensions.

But at moment of 1-year extension application they also reset your 90-day reporting cycle (actually they do that already earlier by 'capping' your last 90-day report till permission to stay expiry-date).

And so you can do both your next 90-day report as well as the 3-month bank-balance check in one go.  In contrast with the 1-year extension application, for that 3-month bank-balance check at SiSaKet IO they ONLY need to see your updated bank-book, so no need to get hold of a 3-month bank-statement for that check.

But of course, living far away from the IO, that 3-month bank-balance check is a nuisance, as I normally never go to SiSaKet because I do my 90-day reports on-line.

Some sense starting to creep in - resetting the 90day. Other Immigration offices should take note of this.

21 hours ago, Rigsby said:

Sorry I forgot to mention it is Jomtien.

Yes but you fail to realise that would be common sense which is not applicable in this country ????

On 1/28/2021 at 2:36 PM, ubonjoe said:

I must be dense, I still can't make sense of these requirements. 

1. You must have 800K Baht in the bank 2 months prior to applying for a retirement Visa (this is clear)

2. You need to keep some amount of money, it seems above 400K for the entire year?

3. You can draw down the balance during the year? (Unclear to me when the balance can start to be below the 800k baht level)

Do you need to bring the balance back to 800K each year, 2 months before renewal?

22 minutes ago, Suphawk said:

I must be dense, I still can't make sense of these requirements. 

1. You must have 800K Baht in the bank 2 months prior to applying for a retirement Visa (this is clear)

2. You need to keep some amount of money, it seems above 400K for the entire year?

3. You can draw down the balance during the year? (Unclear to me when the balance can start to be below the 800k baht level)

Do you need to bring the balance back to 800K each year, 2 months before renewal?

When applying for a 1-year extension of stay for reason of retirement based on your original Non Imm O (or O-A) Visa, you must provide evidence of the following:

1 - At least 800K on your personal Thai bank-account seasoned for at least 2 months at the moment of application for your 1-year extension of stay;

2 - At least 800K on your personal Thai bank-account for at least 3 months from the moment your current 1-year permission to stay was granted (some IOs require you to come back after 3 months for that 800K bank-balance check);

3 - During the 'in between period' the amount on your personal Thai bank-account should not have dipped under 400K.

4 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

When applying for a 1-year extension of stay for reason of retirement based on your original Non Imm O (or O-A) Visa, you must provide evidence of the following:

1 - At least 800K on your personal Thai bank-account seasoned for at least 2 months at the moment of application for your 1-year extension of stay;

2 - At least 800K on your personal Thai bank-account for at least 3 months from the moment of your previous 1-year extension of stay;

3 - During the 'in between period' the amount on your personal Thai bank-account should not have dipped under 400K

Ok, this makes it almost clear then.

So in essence the 800K has to be in the account for 5 months of the 1 year, 2 months prior to the Visa and 3 months after?

Thank you for helping get this straight in my mind.

1 minute ago, Suphawk said:

Ok, this makes it almost clear then.

So in essence the 800K has to be in the account for 5 months of the 1 year, 2 months prior to the Visa and 3 months after?

Yes that's correct, the 800K has to be maintained at least 5 months of the year (the first 3 months after previous extension and the last 2 months before date of application for the new extension of stay).  In between the funds can be used as you please, but you must never dip under 400K.

10 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Yes that's correct, the 800K has to be maintained at least 5 months of the year (the first 3 months after previous extension and the last 2 months before date of application for the new extension of stay).  In between the funds can be used as you please, but you must never dip under 400K.

As above. For which reason, if you can afford it, it is better just to park 800k in a separate fixed account and leave it there.

Too easy to slip up on dates and inadvertently dip below the required balance.

On 1/28/2021 at 3:45 PM, DrJack54 said:

My guess would be that the OP is dealing with perhaps Jomtien.

The vast majority of imm offices do not have the return after 3 months to show BB.

However couple do and would be best advised to comply.

Did my Renewal in October here at CW, at no time was I told i needed to return in 3 months to show my bank book, maybe because the 800k is locked in a fixed term account, but who knows.  it is now at 801,000 as I had to add 1,000 Thb to update the book on the day I did my extension.

On 1/28/2021 at 3:40 PM, EricTh said:

When you show to them shouldn't be a problem (at least in my area). My extension was approved.

I take it you did your 90 day report online.

20 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Did my Renewal in October here at CW, at no time was I told i needed to return in 3 months to show my bank book, maybe because the 800k is locked in a fixed term account, but who knows.  it is now at 801,000 as I had to add 1,000 Thb to update the book on the day I did my extension.

With a balance of 801.000 THB you are 'safe'.

It is recommended to be always approx 500-1000 THB over the 400K or 800K tresshold.  Some that  'livee on the edge' experienced the unpleasant surprise of their Thai bank charging them their annual account-fee, resulting in them slipping under the required amount and having their extension refused for not fully meeting the financially requirements. 

33 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

As stated earlier the show 800k still in bank and was maintained for 3 months was a wet dream from couple of imm offices. Notable one being Jomtien. So out of ~ 80 imm offices we have a couple of rogue ones. It's Tiny Willie syndrome. Some of the top dog in these offices listened to Frank Sinatra "my way" too often.

3 hours ago, ThailandRyan said:

CW don’t require you to go back to prove it after 3 months but will check on next renewal so it’s essential that you maintain at least 800K for 3 months after extending.

OP uses Jomtien immigration who do (normally) require you to go back after 3 months to prove you haven’t dropped below 800K.

OP, to be clear your friend was correct & you were not, the balance cannot drop below 800K during the 1st 3 months of the extension, I have no idea what happens if it does though 

Simple > in that case (falling - even if only for small sum and 1 day - under the 800K or 400K tressholds) the application for his next 1-year extension of stay will be denied, since he did not meet the maintenance requirements for his current extension which is a condition for a new extension of stay. 

Pre covid, with borders open, such a case was simply a matter of doing a border-run, returning Visa Exempt and re-applying for a new 90-day Non Imm O Visa, and in the last month of those 90 days then applying for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa.

However, with current border closures and entry restrictions, being denied your 1-year extension of stay is a more serious matter to resolve.

33 minutes ago, Peter Denis said:

Simple > in that case (falling - even if only for small sum and 1 day - under the 800K or 400K tressholds) the application for his next 1-year extension of stay will be denied, since he did not meet the maintenance requirements for his current extension which is a condition for a new extension of stay. 

Pre covid, with borders open, such a case was simply a matter of doing a border-run, returning Visa Exempt and re-applying for a new 90-day Non Imm O Visa, and in the last month of those 90 days then applying for the 1-year extension of stay based on that Non Imm O Visa.

However, with current border closures and entry restrictions, being denied your 1-year extension of stay is a more serious matter to resolve.

Can we apply for the new 90 day non-O with a tourist visa while in Thailand? Do they need any medical examination certificate?

I applied for my first non-O outside of Thailand.

22 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Can we apply for the new 90 day non-O with a tourist visa while in Thailand? Do they need any medical examination certificate?

Yes you can apply for a 90 day non-o visa entry at immigration. No need for a medical certificate or insurance.

You will need to show 800k baht in Thai bank on the day you apply. Proof the funds came from abroad is also required. Or if you can prove 65 baht of income.

Archived