'We love this stock': GameStop effect spreads as calls for probe build

snoop1130

This started a long time ago when this guy named u/deepf^cknigvalue  started posting his long OTM calls for GME.  That is all he has been doing for the last 2 years is buying calls.

Yesterday he posts his latest, check it out. On Friday a lot of calls will be realized so the stock could go even higher!

a309gkm5yxd61.png

Edited by Don Chance

Seems every mainstream media outlet is covering GME/Wallstreetbets right now. I was trying to find out where it started and this NYTimes article pinned it down to a guy called 'Keith Gill' who goes by the name 'Roaring Kitty' on social media https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/29/technology/roaring-kitty-reddit-gamestop-markets.html
Apparently, he put $53,000 into GME back in 2019 and he's been making youtube and tiktok videos about it ever since. Also, Michael Burry (portrayed in the 'Big Short' movie by Christian Bale) had 5% of his $330 million Scion management fund in GME, so he likely made more from GME than he did from the housing bubble in 2008. 
There's also lots of focus on wallstreetbets - some people just pile in, or invest for fun, just to be part of it, but there are some people who really do look at the underlying dynamics and do due diligence. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, biggles45 said:

'"It is already illegal for institutions to coordinate in the manner currently being seen in moving prices on these stocks, 

Not if you run a Hedge fund tho! 

And CNBC is their mouthpiece.

"How dare they (the common folk) feel enraged about the economy!"

"How dare they believe the system is rigged!"

"How dare they try using tech to level the playing field!"

"How dare they meme the message!"

Great seeing Louis Rossmann weigh in on this. Best guy for the job. I was an Apple fan once, long ago.

1611915761376.png

Edited by CrunchWrapSupreme

11 hours ago, Katipo said:

There are quite a few posts on WSB saying that Friday is not the day these calls will be realised, and that this is misinformation from the Hedge Funds in an attempt to get the individual consumer day traders to sell. The WSB Mods and are others are all calling "hold", don't sell until they say to sell. While I am not 100% as to the accuracy of this information, it does highlight the (mis)information battle that is going on. These Hedge Funds who prey on vulnerable companies to make their fortunes are for once getting beaten at their own game, and are trying every trick in the book, dirty or otherwise, to stop it happening.

Amongst other things, the WSB consumer traders have been called Alt-Right, Trumpists, they've been accused of manipulation and illegal trading. None of which is true. A group of individuals publicly sharing advice on what do buy and sell is totally legal.  By contrast, Hedge Fund groups meeting behind closed doors to secretly manipulate and gain unfair advantage arguably is (but difficult to prove without the damning evidence).

So I say 'good'. I hope WSB is able to cause enough disruption that it stops these behemoths bottom feeds to reconsider their tactics. Even better would be stronger regulations to reign them in.

imo the social media hoopla has drawn considerably more heat from the likes of the SEC than would of normally happened. Be nice to see them punished but these situation very rarely ever end fairly. If someone ever sold my shares to cover a bet it would be the last transaction they ever made for me and I would definitely be signing onto the class action that will soon follow..

20 minutes ago, SunnyinBangrak said:

Could this be a potential conflict of interest? I know it's only 800G but she may feel obligated to help her wall street buddies more than the small investors.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/yellen-robinhood-citadel-gamestop-speaking-fees

The speaking fees are not unusally high and it's very, very common for influential people to give speeches to groups.   If you are interested here's what it will cost you to get George Bush, $170,000,  if you want Michelle Obama, $200,000, for Barack Obama runs $400,000.   

It's nice to see the little guys beat the big guys at their own game. However, it is unavoidable that the little guys who bought shares recently at a high price will be screwed. The stock price is now above $300 and the target price is around $10.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ExpatOK said:

This is a financial populist revolt.  

I'm pleasantly surprised at some of the comments by those who hate one particular populist.

There's hope for you all!

There’s a gaping gap between the financial ‘flash mobbing’ that has beaten the hedge funds and the hate mongering that characterizes your ‘populist’.

• Like 2
  • Confused 3

If you ask me this whole idea of "shorting" a stock is ridiculous, who has come up with and allowed it to happen and then how everybody else accepted it I think leads you to believe those behind hedge funds are running the show, and manipulating the market of course - amazingly all regulatory bodies go on with it...., borrow stock you don't own and then sell it to someone else... <deleted>....! ????

Would you buy a car or a house or anything from someone who doesn't own it....!!!?

Simple solution, ban the damn shorting thing..., you buy a stock from someone that really owns it, or sell a stock that you actually own, that's it, done...! Anything else is a joke....????

Of course you can bet on stock prices, but that's not going to be in the scale and effect it has on companies, different cattle of fish....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Agusts said:

If you ask me this whole idea of "shorting" a stock is ridiculous, who has come up with and allowed it to happen and then how everybody else accepted it I think leads you to believe those behind hedge funds are running the show, and manipulating the market of course - amazingly all regulatory bodies go on with it...., borrow stock you don't own and then sell it to someone else... <deleted>....! ????

Would you buy a car or a house or anything from someone who doesn't own it....!!!?

Simple solution, ban the damn shorting thing..., you buy a stock from someone that really owns it, or sell a stock that you actually own, that's it, done...! Anything else is a joke....????

Of course you can bet on stock prices, but that's not going to be in the scale and effect it has on companies, different cattle of fish....

Shorting is a good thing. Here's why. 

338781183_SP500.png.9cc521f1772e442958849bdcfd819d70.png

The S&P500 was at 2,200 in mid 2000 and didn't reach those levels again till 2015. It took 8 years to bottom out. Imagine having a massive amount of your personal wealth locked into a 401k for that period, watching it drop and not being able to go short. 

Saying that, shorting more shares than exist is ludicrous.

You and I have to borrow shares and pay interest during the holding time. Those rules don't seem to apply to hedge funds, who shorted more than 100% of the float. 

Shares available to float should be limited to those made available by holders allowing them to borrow. 

You can't buy shares that aren't available, why should you be able to short sell more than exist? That is nonsense.