Thailand to get vaccine from Asia after EU export control, minister Anutin says

webfact

Thailand to get vaccine from Asia after EU export control, minister Anutin says

2021-02-04T094558Z_1_LYNXMPEH130OR_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-SWISS-ASTRAZENECA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Vials labelled "COVID-19 Coronavirus Vaccine" are placed on dry ice in this illustration taken, December 4, 2020. Picture taken December 4, 2020. REUTERS/Dado Ruvic/File Photo

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand will import the first doses of AstraZeneca's vaccine from Asia after Europe enforced export controls, the country's health minister said on Thursday.

The European Union (EU) last week set restrictions on the export of vaccines from the bloc through to March to ensure it will secure the supplies it had bought in advance, including shots from AstraZeneca Plc.

Thailand will still import the first 50,000 of 150,000 "early doses" of the AstraZeneca vaccine later this month, just not from Europe as previously planned, said Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul.

"The producer will source the vaccine from another supply chain outside of the EU," minister of public health Anutin Charnvirakul told reporters.

"It will be from somewhere in Asia," he said without elaborating because he said otherwise there was a risk of another intervention to safeguard supplies.

South Korea and India are among the countries in Asia currently producing the AstraZeneca vaccine.

China's Sinovac Biotech Ltd will also deliver the first 200,000 of two million doses of its vaccine that Thailand had ordered around the end of February, Anutin added.

Thailand's vaccine strategy relies mostly on AstraZeneca vaccines being produced by local manufacturer Siam Bioscience.

The 26 million doses to be produced by the firm are set to be used in inoculations starting in June. Thailand plans to inoculate people with five million doses every month from that point, Anutin said.

Thailand had ordered 35 million more vaccine doses from AstraZeneca, but Anutin said on Thursday a contract for the volume had not been signed.

Earlier on Thursday, Thailand reported 809 new coronavirus cases and no additional deaths, its COVID-19 taskforce said.

The new infections took the overall total to 22,058, with fatalities remaining at 79.

(Reporting by Patpicha Tanakasempipat and Panarat Thepgumpanat; Editing by Ed Davies)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2021-02-05

• Sad 2

These vaccines need to be stored at below -o temperatures, so what happens if it goes above the prescribed temperature and you get injected, or during transportation is it then ineffective?, can you test it's effectiveness before injection?, I mean once it's in you, cannot get it back out again, one way street only, it would be quite annoying to hear after you have been injected the word oops!

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Polaky said:

These vaccines need to be stored at below -o temperatures, so what happens if it goes above the prescribed temperature and you get injected, or during transportation is it then ineffective?

I'm definitely not an expert on this topic, so I might be wrong, but as I understand it: If the vaccines get too warm for too long it will destroy the virus DNA in this vaccine, so if getting injected with this your body can't learn from it. Afaik it's not harmful if it gets too warm, but it will just render the vaccine ineffective.

Edited by jackdd

Just now, jackdd said:

I'm definitely not an expert on this topic, so I might be wrong, but as I understand it: If the vaccines get too warm for too long it will destroy the virus DNA in this vaccine, so if getting injected with this your body can't learn from it. Afaik it's not harmful if it gets too warm, but it will just be ineffective.

learn what adjuvants are

29 minutes ago, Mike Rodik said:

import from ASIA ?  

There are manufacturers all over the world. It just means they will need to get it from a manufacturer in Asia since the West have already put preorders in for those closer to home.

20 minutes ago, Polaky said:

These vaccines need to be stored at below -o temperatures, so what happens if it goes above the prescribed temperature and you get injected, or during transportation is it then ineffective?, can you test it's effectiveness before injection?, I mean once it's in you, cannot get it back out again, one way street only, it would be quite annoying to hear after you have been injected the word oops!

It depends on the vaccine. The Astrazenaca one can be kept at normal refrigerator temps.

7 hours ago, ukrules said:

The EU itself didn't sign a contact for three months which left a gaping hole in its supplies.

There's not going to be any vaccine delivered without a contract and I'm going to be surprised if the two deals are not dependent on each other in some way.

At the moment a political battle is going on over supply of European vaccines (the world held to ransom).

Italy wants to import the Russian sputnik vaccine with the NGO raving about it. latest on RT news.

Tests show so far that vaccinated have high anti body/ immune levels and the vaccine has a 91.5 efficiancy rating.

I would say the Russians are on a winner, their  vaccine is easier to handle ,has a good immune result and is cheaper.

Strike 1 to Russia.

However tell that to the big money , and they will tell you the Russian vaccine is rushed and unreliable.

The world is now being dragged through a morbid pandemic controlled by medical maniac drug companies.

and billionaires.

I am surprised Thailand is running with Astra Zenecca, I would have thought China would be a winner , followed by Russia.

Maybe it has something to do with India who has very good/huge drug manufacturing facility, and produces good quality medicines .

Somewhere mixed in with this would be a very large brown thing ,to big to post.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kiwikeith said:

At the moment a political battle is going on over supply of European vaccines (the world held to ransom).

Italy wants to import the Russian sputnik vaccine with the NGO raving about it. latest on RT news.

Tests show so far that vaccinated have high anti body/ immune levels and the vaccine has a 91.5 efficiancy rating.

I would say the Russians are on a winner, their  vaccine is easier to handle ,has a good immune result and is cheaper.

Strike 1 to Russia.

However tell that to the big money , and they will tell you the Russian vaccine is rushed and unreliable.

The world is now being dragged through a morbid pandemic controlled by medical maniac drug companies.

and billionaires.

I am surprised Thailand is running with Astra Zenecca, I would have thought China would be a winner , followed by Russia.

Maybe it has something to do with India who has very good/huge drug manufacturing facility, and produces good quality medicines .

Somewhere mixed in with this would be a very large brown thing ,to big to post.

Who watches RT my gawd, talk about propaganda the Faux news of Russia