New report gives fascinating insight into salary levels in Thailand

webfact

6 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Wonder how much a durian farmer makes.

It depends on how big his farm is and how much durian he sells!

A facile comment I know, but then that is the case with so many of these surveys and reports about salary and income. 

In  country where such a large number of people work "for themselves" in their own small enterprises, market stalls, roadside stalls and so on, where the income tax system is entirely haphazard and ignores swathes of the working population, where so many are engaged as casual labour by the week and by the day even, and where the regional variations in wage, and living costs are so high, then such tabulated results are meaningless. After all, a job which pays 75k a month in Bangkok will probably pay 24k or less a month in Chiang Rai. 

Entry and success in many professions and occupations is controlled by either one's ability to "buy in", or by a complex network of nepotism.

And then of course, whatever rate is quoted there is always someone on the forum who knows someone who's friend earns far more than that.

What I do know is that a newly qualified Thai teacher in Chiang Rai will be lucky to get 20k a month (often less). If they secure a permanent post in a government schools it rises, and the benefits increase, but such posts are awarded by a competitive selection process, both in examinations and less formal " contributions.

There is really no reason to suspect that such practices are ànything but universal in most job fields ( perhaps not to the same extent in the health care system - but a friend who is a senior nurse tells me that when Bangkok Hospital opened a branch here it was very much the case!)

14 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Yep, it's not called the "International language" for nothing........ But apparently Uncle Tuu says that Thai will be the international language spoken all over the world......  Ally Wah !  

Yes ! Uncle Tuu did say that in one of his many brain fart moments.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Yep, it's not called the "International language" for nothing........ But apparently Uncle Tuu says that Thai will be the international language spoken all over the world......  Ally Wah !  

It's a lingua franca rather than an international language; and unlikely to be replaced any time soon, and certainly not by Thai, or even Mandarin!

1 hour ago, herfiehandbag said:

There is really no reason to suspect that such practices are ànything but universal in most job fields ( perhaps not to the same extent in the health care system - but a friend who is a senior nurse tells me that when Bangkok Hospital opened a branch here it was very much the case!)

Yes, everyone here has a friend that proves something. 

On 2/10/2021 at 4:39 PM, OneMoreFarang said:

Where are all the police officer, custom officers, immigration officers, etc. on that list?

Or is there something like the official income list and the unofficial list?

What's the point of the official list if lots of income is unofficial?

Many of those guys (not all of course) are basically franchisees, and their earning potential is based on their level of creativity. The police in particular are severely underpaid here. A "quid pro quo" of sorts?

Edited by spidermike007

31 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Many of those guys (not all of course) are basically franchisees, and their earning potential is based on their level of creativity. The police in particular are severely underpaid here. A "quid pro quo" of sorts?

It's almost funny that there is this rumor that want to be police officers pay hundreds of thousands of THB to be able to work in a "severely underpaid job". TiT

On 2/10/2021 at 4:05 PM, GrandPapillon said:

wahoo, that's quite low for the highest paid salary. Are these Thai only? surely no farang would accept such low salaries for those jobs position?

I was paid more on unemployment than any of these people ????

• Like 1

The levels of salaries in Thailand. This only shows the higher paid professions, not one average joes salary. My gf has a government job and earns 9000baht a month. There are probably people on even less  as I would not consider her job as a low position 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's a lingua franca rather than an international language; and unlikely to be replaced any time soon, and certainly not by Thai, or even Mandarin!

Yep, and the current Lingua Franca is English, otherwise known as the "International language".......  Examples of lingua francas are numerous, and exist on every continent. The most obvious modern example is English, which is the current dominant lingua franca of international diplomacy, business, science, technology and aviation, but many other languages serve, or have served at different historical periods, as lingua francas in particular regions, countries, or in special contexts.    Something to do with the English speaking populations kicking backsides all over the place.......   Oooooooh, imagine having to learn French ?     Lingua Franca ? i think i might of had that, two aspirins........  

2 hours ago, provan69 said:

The levels of salaries in Thailand. This only shows the higher paid professions, not one average joes salary. My gf has a government job and earns 9000baht a month. There are probably people on even less  as I would not consider her job as a low position 

It's not a low position, but it pays minimum wage, right.

On 2/10/2021 at 4:42 PM, NCC1701A said:

and now you know why the bar girls say "No" when you want them to be your girlfriend. 

and why you can't afford them when they say "Yes". 

and why they do it in the first place. 

No woman no cry. They usually say yes when they mean no and vice versa. 

11 hours ago, provan69 said:

Yes, it doesn't pay well at all compared to everything on the list. So where are all the low earners salaries on the list

It's a list put out by a recruitment company. When the post office needs a new bathroom attendant, they don't pay a headhunter to find one. 

Are not government employee salaries public record? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 8:59 PM, Ventenio said:

This is all REPORTED income.

let's not kid ourselves...this is a CASH society.

25,000 could easily be 40,000 ....  nobody has any idea who makes what...

which is by design

I do, I see my wife's salary slips monthly..

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/10/2021 at 8:31 PM, quake said:

it's been 18 minutes, is it dry yet. ?

i have only just started to watch my paint dry. think maybe an hours to go

So go watch a few haircuts then come back and check if your paint is dry.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/12/2021 at 8:37 AM, herfiehandbag said:

If they secure a permanent post in a government schools it rises, and the benefits increase, but such posts are awarded by a competitive selection process

Heh, my wife told me about that process. Out in her Issan moo ban, a lovely young lady, uni grad, wanted to be a kindergarten nanny. Not even a fully fledged teacher. Her dad had to pay a school official 100k baht. The salary’s not more than 10k a month. Return on investment in about a year.

Man these salaries. Out here in the BKK outskirts, at Mega Bangna, shiny new BMWs, shopping carts loaded with 50” TVs, shopping bags from Zara, Jaspal, and their kids have the latest iPhones, Nintendo Switches, and Nike shoes. Despite only 40-50k a month, they still gotta have that stuff. Debt, debt, debt.

• 5 weeks later...