Thailand says to administer 10 million COVID-19 shots monthly from June

webfact

20 minutes ago, sandyf said:

High infection rates mean desperation, but you are free to believe that the lack of desperation equates to "stalling". As for being over!!

Life globally will not return to normal for two or three years based on the rate of the current vaccination rollout, it has been warned - but there are early signs jabs are reducing cases in the UK.

Speaking to Sky News, Dr Clare Wenham, assistant professor of global health policy at London School of Economics, said the COVID-19 pandemic will not be over until the world's population is protected.

https://news.sky.com/story/covid-19-life-wont-return-to-normal-for-at-least-two-years-expert-warns-saying-pandemic-isnt-over-until-its-over-globally-12203057

Good points in that article and indeed shows the need for all countries to roll out a vaccine as soon as possible and at the same time. Seems Thailand has not quite got that bit yet.

"We're still going to be living in some form of restrictions - travel restrictions, border controls - even when we're vaccinated, until it's over round the world. So there's a real imperative to make sure that everybody round the world has at least minimum levels of vaccines at the same time."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, donnacha said:

That should be enough to cover all the generals, admirals, and their families.

Shhhhhhhhh!!!

Don’t tell anyone but I think that’s already been done with a special VIP order from Pfizer. The big shots can still roll up their sleeves and have shots of saline for the TV cameras when the Sinovac vaccine arrives.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, webfact said:

using 61 million doses of the AstraZeneca vaccine, which will be produced locally from June by Siam Bioscience.

How much experience of vaccine production does Siam Bioscience have? Even facilities with a lot of experience find it difficult to scale-up production of new vaccines efficiently, which is why both AZ and Pfizer have been having problems in the UK and Europe. Vaccine production is as much an art as a science, and many things can go wrong. They'll figure it out eventually, with help from AZ experts, but going from producing some test and trial doses to 10 million a month is a challenge to say the least. And, of course, that's only Thailand's share, it's a regional vaccine production hub for SE Asia so should actually be producing a lot more, maybe 20 or 30 million doses a month. I wish them well, of course, but if the EU has thrown its toys out of the pram because it's upset that vaccine production isn't going to plan, then Thailand and SEA should probably prepare themselves for similar setbacks along the way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, sandyf said:

One has to assume you have never been involved in the Thai flu vaccine programme for over 60s and diabetics.

Are you for real? Did you see the mistake they made in the news? It was meant to be funny. They wrote only 10 instead of 10M. Get it now! If so, please laugh. ????

And no! I have never been in any flu vaccine programme. Why would I? What relevance are you trying to make? To my joke, I mean. Yes, the one you missed to understand.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Guderian said:

How much experience of vaccine production does Siam Bioscience have? Even facilities with a lot of experience find it difficult to scale-up production of new vaccines efficiently, which is why both AZ and Pfizer have been having problems in the UK and Europe. Vaccine production is as much an art as a science, and many things can go wrong. They'll figure it out eventually, with help from AZ experts, but going from producing some test and trial doses to 10 million a month is a challenge to say the least. And, of course, that's only Thailand's share, it's a regional vaccine production hub for SE Asia so should actually be producing a lot more, maybe 20 or 30 million doses a month. I wish them well, of course, but if the EU has thrown its toys out of the pram because it's upset that vaccine production isn't going to plan, then Thailand and SEA should probably prepare themselves for similar setbacks along the way. 

They have zero experience.

...and according to Thanatorn "over the past 11 years, the corporation has made losses worth Bt581 billion, Thanathorn said."

If someone was taking bets, I'd bet SB will not be producing vaccines in June and that they never hit 10million per day - keeping mind this factory is just a manufacturing facility for AZ - Thailand cannot claim the capacity and have to order just like everyone else, and there will not be 10million per day for Thailand.

Fail.

• Like 1

I’m not sure if it’s just a problem of terminology, but 60 million doses will inoculate about 30 million people. Not even close to 50% of the REGISTERED Thai population. Add in migrant workers, foreigners etc and it’s a smaller percentage.

one person needs two doses 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

i notice this, and read it quick, but not really paying any attention to any of it now.

but one thing is for sure, there aint no Chinese vaccine coming anywhere near my arm.

and in the future, if the Gov say take it or leave, then it will be bye bye.

but it wont come to that...........

for sure, expats will soon be able to buy whatever vaccine they want.

just wait for the initial vaccinations to happen, then it will be available almost everywhere.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

80 deaths vs US 475,000 ... Thailand IMO deserves a well done! 

Its had plenty of well dones for its past control from posters here, self congratulations from the Thai government and even some international bodies including WHO.

How many pats on the back do they actually need.

Now is the next step, the next phase. Vaccination. Not containment but eradication. This is the new hurdle to jump.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, shackleton said:

Seems to be a lot of speculation on the numbers  of people getting the vaccine 

And when

I will reserve my comments as to how many once they start the process 

As usually things are never what they predict 

Probably be under 10s first as their minds are of that discription

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, PGSan said:

Which ‘global numbers’ and what are they counting? 

Worldometers, new cases at around February 11th  430,000 down from  January 7th 833,000.

death rates stable but there is a built in lag of around 3 weeks, so a reasonable prediction that they will be dropping as well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

It seems to be doing the seasonal thing so they might be able to use the vaccines for next years mutant strains.It is getting a bit tiresome that's for sure.

A new strain would require a new vaccine 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

So didn't this originally get penned in for February, then May and now its been delayed until June?

Sounds like they are relying on their main tourist supplying countries doing the leg work for them by vaccinating the majority of their own populations before Thailand thinks about pulling its finger out.