Siam Bioscience was selected by AstraZeneca

webfact

2 hours ago, DLock said:

So, a company with zero vaccine experience, 581million baht of accumulated losses and will take 8 months from announcing the deal to actually producing a vaccine (supposedly) at "zero profit" is the best in the Asian region?

What a sad state of affairs.

Another one making massive losses.

Add them to the long list with Elite Card company and Thai Airways. 

Something does not make sense. Here is a report that South Africa was charged double the price for AZ. Is that what is going on, here? 

"South Africa will have to buy doses of Oxford-AstraZeneca’s Covid-19 vaccine at a price nearly 2.5 times higher than most European countries, the country’s health ministry has said."    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/22/south-africa-paying-more-than-double-eu-price-for-oxford-astrazeneca-vaccine

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Dr. Nakorn Premsri, the director of the NVI, said that AstraZeneca was the one who told Thailand that it would be better to reserve vaccines from them because they will be manufactured in Thailand. Dr. Nakorn added that the decision to transfer technology was made well before Thailand decided to procure vaccines from AstraZeneca.

????

7 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Another condition of course is the not for profit rule of the Oxford AZ vaccine until the pandemic has passed and probably the reason not one arm has so far been jabbed ????

Agreed.  No profit?  No incentive to produce vaccines.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

No one to blame but AstraZeneca here. Move along

Yes Nattering Nabobs of Negativity, its AstraZeneca who is responsible. They had to pull Thailand kicking and screaming to manufacture the vaccine, even though this would make significant delays in vaccinating the Thai population. If you do not like that then no one to blame but AstraZeneca. 

Move along now.

No one is to blame but AstraZeneca and all MP involved in the censure debates.
Wait around for a couple of week.  They'll be other non-participants to blame.

19 minutes ago, Scott Tracy said:
9 hours ago, webfact said:

Dr. Nakorn Premsri, the director of the NVI, said that AstraZeneca was the one who told Thailand that it would be better to reserve vaccines from them because they will be manufactured in Thailand. 

How come AstraZeneca has said nothing?

...and what is the purpose of the statement?

Does it mean that the first AZ vaccines Thailand receive are from SB...and the ones they were expecting from Europe are no longer?

Odd Press Release.

5 hours ago, DLock said:

So, a company with zero vaccine experience, 581million baht of accumulated losses and will take 8 months from announcing the deal to actually producing a vaccine (supposedly) at "zero profit" is the best in the Asian region?

What a sad state of affairs.

Yes, it is. 

From other SE Asian countries I've visited I agree with you. 

However perhaps it really is as just  it seems and we're lucky AZ chose Thailand. Vietnam would also be a good choice in my mind. China would be only if I was drooling-stupid out of my mind. 

It makes sense to centrally locate multiple global production sites as AZ has done. Maybe it's simply a 'prettiest girl in the bar at closing time' scenario to choose the Kingdom. I tend to doubt that brown envelopes influenced AZ's decision. There is just too much scrutiny right now. 

I'm tacitly assuming that AZ will protect their reputation enough to closely monitor and QA the product at startup and throughout production. If not then it's all a <deleted> shoot, everywhere. 

Though not really a plan, hope is all I have now. No way I'm returning to America just for a vaccine, free or otherwise. 

4 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Yes, it is. 

From other SE Asian countries I've visited I agree with you. 

However perhaps it really is as just  it seems and we're lucky AZ chose Thailand. Vietnam would also be a good choice in my mind. China would be only if I was drooling-stupid out of my mind. 

It makes sense to centrally locate multiple global production sites as AZ has done. Maybe it's simply a 'prettiest girl in the bar at closing time' scenario to choose the Kingdom. I tend to doubt that brown envelopes influenced AZ's decision. There is just too much scrutiny right now. 

I'm tacitly assuming that AZ will protect their reputation enough to closely monitor and QA the product at startup and throughout production. If not then it's all a <deleted> shoot, everywhere. 

Though not really a plan, hope is all I have now. No way I'm returning to America just for a vaccine, free or otherwise. 

Given the timely nature of the pandemic and the urgent need for vaccines, you would have thought that the very first criteria would be "Can you be up and running by January 2021?".

The logic of June makes no sense and I cannot believe that there are not better options in Singapore or Vietnam.

I agree, AZ must be monitoring SB very closely to make sure QC and manufacturing dates are met.

I am very curious about this deal and what's going to happen.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DLock said:

Given the timely nature of the pandemic and the urgent need for vaccines, you would have thought that the very first criteria would be "Can you be up and running by January 2021?".

The logic of June makes no sense and I cannot believe that there are not better options in Singapore or Vietnam.

I agree, AZ must be monitoring SB very closely to make sure QC and manufacturing dates are met.

I am very curious about this deal and what's going to happen.

There must be almost countless criteria to consider in choosing a site. Again I must rely on AZ to have the people and procedures to do that successfully. 

Hope for the best as if your life, or at minimum future quality thereof, depended on it. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Caldera said:

At this point I almost don't care which companies produce the AstraZeneca vaccine, as it's such an inferior product.

Yes, way behind the Pfizer one in efficacy. The AZ one is about as good as the Chinese made one

• Like 2