In the market for another All-In-One computer

giddyup

I have had a Lenovo All-In-One PC for about 3 or 4 years and it's a bit slow and clunky and I'm worried it might die on me, so rather than wait, thought I might buy a backup, another All-In-One, and saw this on Lazada and wonder if it might fit the bill. I really know very little about computers, so hoping I might get some opinions on this

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/24-all-in-one-computer-intel-core-i7-3520m8gb-ramssd-256gbwin10-all-in-one-desktop-computer-pc-with-i1561996157-s4199198838.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.75.33364c7bS8l7Fo&search=1&freeshipping=1

Edited by giddyup

Reported post and response removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

This noname AIO OP listed looks very cheap compared to brandname stuff, but it's AIO, if something goes wrong, they are difficult to impossible to service.

It would be my advice to stick to reputable brands with reliable components. I won't give specific recommendations, though, as that depends on what OP's requirements are.

Personally, I use Lenovo AIO B50 (they really could have spent an extra 1$ and put a light sensor or a way to turn down the brightness), HP AIO EliteOne (so far no complaints), and 27" iMac (why oh why would you put power button, USB ports and headphones socket at the back only!), and I enjoy using them all. They've been very snappy and reliable.

Dell and Asus also make AIOs, as does Acer. Last one, though, from someone who bought a bunch of them for a company, didn't turn out to be all that reliable.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

This noname AIO OP listed looks very cheap compared to brandname stuff, but it's AIO, if something goes wrong, they are difficult to impossible to service.

It's not a no name, it's an AST.

Edited by giddyup

Check if it is easy to change the CMOS (BIOS) battery. A friend of mine had such an all in one computer from Acer. The CMOS battery died. Since it still had warranty and you needed to open the computer to replace the battery we had to send it to Acer to replace the battery. If we did this ourselves he would have lost the warranty. A huge effort just to change a small battery. 

Just now, tomazbodner said:

OK, you already made up your mind, then go for it. It's your money anyway.

Where did I say I've made up my mind? I pointed out to you that your comment about it being a no name was wrong.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Oldie said:

Check if it is easy to change the CMOS (BIOS) battery. A friend of mine had such an all in one computer from Acer. The CMOS battery died. Since it still had warranty and you needed to open the computer to replace the battery we had to send it to Acer to replace the battery. If we did this ourselves he would have lost the warranty. A huge effort just to change a small battery. 

I was told that the BIOS battery is only there to help save any changes you make to the BIOS. You can revert to original settings if the battery goes flat by pressing F1 on boot up.

Edited by KannikaP

1 minute ago, KannikaP said:

I was told that the BIOS battery is only there to help save any changes you make to the BIOS. You can revert to original settings if the attery goes flat.

It also saves other things such as the date and time so it can be a pain if you have to constantly reset these,

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JaiMaai said:

It also saves other things such as the date and time so it can be a pain if you have to constantly reset these,

I have endured bigger pains. I suggested that as a solution before you can get the battery changed, which is a DIY job anyway.

5 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

You could go for a Mini PC, either a NUC or an ASUS. Probably a bit more money, but easily upgrade/modified if you need to. I have one through my 55 Samsung TV....brilliant.

Like this you mean? https://www.lazada.co.th/products/mini-pc-intel-nuc-10i3fnh1-bxnuc10i3fnh1-ntel-core-i3-10110u-intel-uhd-graphics-integrated-ram-8gb240gb-ssd-3-by-intel-i1907512767-s6009284981.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.3.60514c7bFRN37u&search=1

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Thats a very good price, but only an i3. Depends what you use it for though.Mine's an i5 and cannot fault it.

13 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

I have endured bigger pains. I suggested that as a solution before you can get the battery changed, which is a DIY job anyway.

If you open a such a computer that is sealed and still under warranty you will lose the warranty. In addition to the time / date you also had to set the "Boot Filter" to the correct setting otherwise it didn't even boot. So you had to correct the settings at every start since the default value didn't fit. I still have the picture. 

20180929_095350.jpg

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Thats a very good price, but only an i3. Depends what you use it for though.Mine's an i5 and cannot fault it.

There's this. https://www.lazada.co.th/products/mini-pc-beelink-gemini-m-lake-processor-ram-8gb-rom-256gb-2021-i1948786857-s6185672143.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.13.11c762b8Z3kxE5&search=1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

I have had a Lenovo All-In-One PC for about 3 or 4 years and it's a bit slow and clunky and I'm worried it might die on me, so rather than wait, thought I might buy a backup, another All-In-One, and saw this on Lazada and wonder if it might fit the bill. I really know very little about computers, so hoping I might get some opinions on this

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/24-all-in-one-computer-intel-core-i7-3520m8gb-ramssd-256gbwin10-all-in-one-desktop-computer-pc-with-i1561996157-s4199198838.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlistcategory.list.75.33364c7bS8l7Fo&search=1&freeshipping=1

Scrapping a four year old PC because it appears slow and clunky?? Likelihood it's just the state of your HDD. Replace it with a solid state drive and you will forget all ideas of buying a new PC. The solution is likely that simple. Cost from 500 baht. That's a lot less than buying a no name PC with outdated components and who knows what kinf of warranty.

Yet not even a single person has asked you anything about your current PC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, guzzi850m2 said:

A good friend of mine have a Dell all in one top of the range PC (well 4 years ago) and the screen started to come off the casing.

The quote for repair was extremely expensive from Dell Thailand so he didn't do it.

He bought a good old fashion desktop PC and his teenage daughter is now using the Dell.

My advice is to buy a desktop PC or one of those mini PC's as mentioned earlier.

If you have the room want more value for money old desktop PC's still rule. They are bigger so cooling is better and that means they can use cheaper part that have more quality (the smaller and less heat something needs to make the more valuable it cost). Also upgradeability is important (not so much for the OP i think). Configurability is better.

There is a reason why a desktop with the same specs cost less then a laptop with those specs. Its all about heat. Its not much different for those all in ones. Also replacing parts is easier in a desktop. But cables wise those all in ones rule. NO matter what I do my setup with 3 monitors and lot of other stuff will always have some cables around. 

• Like 2

Just now, elfpattaya said:

I believe you are in Pattaya, why don't you go to a local store like Wattana or JIB and ask their advice, rather than buying blindly from lazada.

I believe I'm here asking for advice and comments, not "blindly buying from Lazada".

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

I have had a Lenovo All-In-One PC for about 3 or 4 years and it's a bit slow and clunky

Have you upgraded to SSD drive?  Mine is older and would not call it slow or clunky for normal home user.  Yes limited to USB2 speeds for external drives but find it works fine.

Just now, lopburi3 said:

Have you upgraded to SSD drive?  Mine is older and would not call it slow or clunky for normal home user.  Yes limited to USB2 speeds for external drives but find it works fine.

That may be my best solution.

• Like 1