German cyclist taken to hospital after collapsing in northern Thailand

Hanuman2547

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Would be good to know whether he ignored warning signs, if so what were they? underlying conditions? or just undiagnosed, if so could happen to any of us. 

The post above doesn't give us any details apart from he used to like cycling hills and wasn't a beginner

Right.  Obviously he had some underlying conditions.  Not sure if he was aware of them or not.  

Klaus, hope you recover and get back on the bike soon!

For all of the armchair critics: his underlying health is no concern of ours. I am sure he was aware of personal and environmental factors up to the point where he unfortunately found the limit! Luckily he is still with us.

ID: carrying some information with basic details [in Thai] is a good idea: [Note to self!]. Notwithstanding, even if carrying a lexicon of personal details after event registration, it would be normal for any medically trained responder to ask basic questions to ascertain a level of concious state. Eg: "open your eyes/ squeeze my hand/ what's your name [!!!]/ where do you live? etc. Perhaps that may the context in which it was reported.

Edited by bobfish
Being a little more polite!
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, bobfish said:

ID: carrying some information with basic details [in Thai] is a good idea: [Note to self!]. Notwithstanding, even if carrying a lexicon of personal details after event registration, it would be normal for any medically trained responder to ask basic questions to ascertain a level of concious state. Eg: "open your eyes/ squeeze my hand/ what's your name [!!!]/ where do you live? etc. Perhaps that may the context in which it was reported.

You expect Thai ambulance drivers to speak English?

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

It would have been useful info, maybe saved a life of similar riders, oh well, we learn nothing from this

Perhaps that kind of information is readily available and common knowledge. Never too young to learn right? ????

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You expect Thai ambulance drivers to speak English?

Not necessarily, but maybe "sabai di mai?" could also elicit a response.

However. In this case and as reported: "They managed to resuscitate him and he was able to tell them that his name was Mr Klaus J.P. and had been living in the Mae Jan area for 7 years." Of course he could have told them in Thai. Or German.... 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Prior to re-starting cycling after over 20 years off the bike I went for a full cardio check, which I repeated a year later.

I’ve also, like many, bought and use a heart monitor, I chose Polar on account of the accuracy and reliability of the HR monitor and I have that set with an alarm if I reach my peak HR (which I have on occasion passed).

I have had one episode in which I believe my HR monitor may have saved my life.

30 minutes into a ride my HR passed my maximum and the stayed high even when I rested.

I went directly to the hospital for a check up which revealed my heart was healthy but my electrolytes were well below normal. The Dr nevertheless said my heart could have failed if I had continued exercising during this episode.

My advice then is get a heart health check up, buy and use a good quality HR monitor, set your high HR limit and pay attention to you HR during rides.

Oh, and drink sufficient water and electrolytes.

• Like 1