Your Favourite Airline To/from LOS

Flummoxed

Read my post first.....  

723 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Having worked in many different countries with Thailand as my home base have flown many carriers over the years

KLM - used to be a great service and liked Schipol but seem to be going downhill

Air France - never liked them and charles De Gaulle is a crap airport, very few amenities

BA- Being from the UK embarressed by the attitude of flight crews.

Thai - once again used to be great but customer service now leaves a lot to be desired

Cathay Pacific - still a good service

Singapore - about the best around

South African - were ok and good flight crews with the right attitude

Turkish - using them a lot now and find them very good

Etihad - not the best, but certainly not the worst

Emirates - again it's 50/50 as sometimes good and sometimes bad.

China Airlines - ok

Austrian - good service and efficient

Lufthansa - same as Austrian

Azal (Azerbaijan) - scary sometimes as planes are very old

Georgian airlines - same as Azal

Biman Bangladesh - never again

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look at the dates what was first delivered the 340 or the 380, I bet you have been on a lot of planes havent you.

But I dont think so some how.

What are you on about? The article you posted is dated May 16, 2008 states "Enter the Arab flight crew of Abu Dhabi Aircraft

Technologies (ADAT) on November 15, 2007". The first A380 was delivered to Singapore Airlines a month prior to that November date and six months prior to the date of the article. I have been on both the A340 and the A380 several times as well as all other current versions of Airbus and Boeing's commercial aircraft. Peter Pan, get back to reality from fantasy land.

Eva all the way,went with Thai air the first time i ever went.I would never ever again fly with them. It was my worst flight ever and being my first time there and using there company i was not a hapy chappy to say the least .

Since then every other time has been with eva ,And to me they are the best by far.

Look at the dates what was first delivered the 340 or the 380, I bet you have been on a lot of planes havent you.

But I dont think so some how.

What are you on about? The article you posted is dated May 16, 2008 states "Enter the Arab flight crew of Abu Dhabi Aircraft

Technologies (ADAT) on November 15, 2007". The first A380 was delivered to Singapore Airlines a month prior to that November date and six months prior to the date of the article. I have been on both the A340 and the A380 several times as well as all other current versions of Airbus and Boeing's commercial aircraft. Peter Pan, get back to reality from fantasy land.

Am I wrong in saying that until the A380 was deliverd to SQ, the 747-400 was the largest?

The poll needs to redone. Alot has changed in the past year. EVA once my favourite has had a sad slide (still good, but not as good :o ) TG's aircrew and catering issues are getting some press, BA has made an effort, the US flag carriers are even worse than before and the Gulf state airlines, moved their quality up a notch.

Been flying back and forward Far East, UK for approx 4 years now owing to working out here.

Started with BA until I found they were only giving me a % of air miles from LHR to Jakarta, inflight poor, stewardesses dire. Binned?

Malaysian airways next, completely disorganised and would not credit me with clocked up miles. Binned?

Air France. Nuff said.

KLM. Never a problem, within 1 year had gold, then Platinum. Regular upgrades to biz or use 40kmiles. If you have a complaint and write to them giving the reason/s. they write back apologising and give you some free miles between 5k - 10k.

Singapore Air is used for the last leg Bangkok - Singapore - Perth. No complaints. After 4 weeks, do the return, check-in and smile? Find your upgraded to Biz Sing - Bangkok, why, dunno.

Qantas, Singapore to Perth or Singapore to Darwin............Dire.

Could mention the local carriers Tiger, Air Asia, Bangkok Airways etc. Better not??

1. JAL. Completely and totally impressed with JAL. Unfortunately I don't usually fly the USA to Japan leg with them because they usually charge too much. But the leg from Japan to BKK is heaven. Plane is immaculate. I see the attendants actually clean the rest rooms more than once during the flight. Just very nice.

2. China Airlines has been fine with me from LAX to Taiwan usually. Usually the best price, and a modern 747 with individual controls for entertainment game and movie thing. Food is fine. Free noodle soup at anytime. Georgous stewardess.

3. EVA is OK but each plane has been on the old side. Last flight had lousy food. Decent flight schedule though. I don't like 777 and EVA usually flies those. I personally prefer 747s.

4. Korean Air. Only flew them once. Just didn't go well. Old airplane, food was poor.

5. American Arilines. Flew them from Palm Beach to Chicago to Tokyo. Miserable attendants. Thank god JAL ran the last leg from Tokyo to BKK. Saved the trip.

Honorable mention to Thai Airways, but I only flew a short leg from Taipei to BKK.

Being a Geordie (from north of england for you yanks who may not know :o ) I was thrilled at the introduction by Emirates of a flight to Newcaste UK (via Dubai) and also having travelled a lot with them to Dubai anyway I give them the vote for the best for efficiency, food, entertainment, timekeeping, comfort, hostesses (m+f) and one big plus was the last trip which entailed 4 flights, 2 of which I needed to change and just rang them and they did it over the phone, no hassle, no cost, no problem.

I used to like Thai airways but havent used them for about 4 years now as evertime I price a trip they are twice as expensive, no exaggeration.

Cathay's newly redesigned cabins are brilliant, even the cattle class is nice an comfy.

Emirates and Qatar are both outstanding. New jets, obedient and helpful staff, comfortable lounges (business & first class) I think Qatar wins the lounge award, they have their own separate building that your bussed over too for Business and fist class passengers, its huge with good food and not as crowded as Emirates in Dubai.

middle row in Emirates business has three seats :D

THREE SEATS in the middle! :D:D

I've never flown Emirates but I'd be horrified to board and see this! The Business class de-rigour is 2 seats together - I always take the upstairs also if on a 747.

a number of airlines who bought 777s ordered three seats in business middle row. applies also to Cathay Pacific :o

Singapore Airlines and Thai Airways' 777's also have the 3 in the middle - at least if they're in regional configuration

Personally, my first choice would be SQ as a rule - but their prices are a bit OTT. I can get a biz class return to Europe for about 40% less if I fly TG via BKK - and if you pick the route carefully, the new Airbus A340-500's will be present - TG's new biz class is as good as anything else out there imho. Swiss is another good option - a modern A340 on the SIN-BKK-ZRH route, and from Zurich I can easily connect to Chaos Central (Brum)

Done Emirates a few times as they fly direct into Brum from Dubai - only airline that flies wide-bodies into BHX so far as I know - and no complaints but I personally prefer one long flight and a short hop to two shorter flights. Horses for courses that of course...

CC

Your message has been sent.

Kenneth Bower to Thailand, bcc: kenandlat

show details 1:17 PM (0 minutes ago) Reply

Never did I think I'd get so many responces on this thread/topic.

I spent two vacations in England but never got out of London. I planned my first vacation all in London but for my second, I joined 3 Brit supervisors who worked for me in Saudi Arabia during my 5 years stint over there with McDonnell Douglas and they "promised me" that they'd show me the real England.

One of them owned a canal boat however and we spent the whole vacation on the boat not getting more than a few km out of London the whole trip. All they did was drink and fight until they passed out and then docked to replenish "stores" which mostly consisted of cans of beans and cases of beer. As I don't drink or smoke, the trip was a washout for me...lol

My brother-in-law, who was born and raised in Willows, a small village halfway between

Liverpool and Manchester might be interested in the new flight out of Newcastle. He was just here in Thailand on his semi-yearly 6 week vacation from England. My wife's sister has two of the most beautiful kids by him and I kind of spoil them to death whist he is back in England slaving away as a supervisor for some giant security company. (His brother is the manager btw).

I'm 72 yrs old now and my lust for travel has waned quite a bit but hopefully I'll get to spend another month in the REAL England B4 I die.

Ken Bower

Married my Thai wife on my 30th trip to Thailand in 1995

Retired for good in Thailand on my 36th trip to Thailand

Have NO plans to EVER return to the U.S.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Singapore Airlines and Thai Airways' 777's also have the 3 in the middle - at least if they're in regional configuration

Personally, my first choice would be SQ as a rule - but their prices are a bit OTT. I can get a biz class return to Europe for about 40% less if I fly TG via BKK - and if you pick the route carefully, the new Airbus A340-500's will be present - TG's new biz class is as good as anything else out there imho. Swiss is another good option - a modern A340 on the SIN-BKK-ZRH route, and from Zurich I can easily connect to Chaos Central (Brum)

Done Emirates a few times as they fly direct into Brum from Dubai - only airline that flies wide-bodies into BHX so far as I know - and no complaints but I personally prefer one long flight and a short hop to two shorter flights. Horses for courses that of course...

CC

• 1 month later...

Since EVA stopped first class from LHR I've tried

EVA biz - crappy sloping seat. rubbish food, identikit FAs WOFTAM

klm BIZ - won't touch them since AF took over

BA first - nothing special, overpriced

BA club - ok for sleep, crap food and wine/service, overpriced

Etihad - NEVER again. Waiting for refund on rtn coupon - still..........

Jet Airways biz - Good, but pricey. Good when I had a shag in Delhi

AF - first via Sinagpore. Job club

TG - ecept when the military are in power still get caviar and good value. But turn off your reading light if they ask lol....

I wonder whether anyone has tried Gulf air first class Bkk-Europe

I would like some feedback on that

Since I have not been travelling extensively I can only say that I prefer Lufthansa business (short haul = haven't tried on long routes) and Emirates (economy but that was 4 years ago) and never was able to convert my miles: well not really. As a matter of fact I was given the opportunity the (only) choice to get an economy ticket (Bkk Hk), but no dates available even 9 months ahead... then I was tol to buy an economy ticket (not in promotion) and use my miles to upgrade to business: well the cost of 20 something thousand put me off (especially because at the same time they were advertising for 6500 Baht on the newspapers

well...I through my miles away (not a lot mind you) but will not fly them again

• 2 weeks later...
Qatar for me

get the loyalty card (free) do 3 return trips then enjoy B class check in , fast track and airport lounges great for 3-4 hour stop overs

Do you know if one can also use the business class lounges in other airports or only in Doha?In the booking website they only mention the use of the Doha lounge.

Qatar for me

get the loyalty card (free) do 3 return trips then enjoy B class check in , fast track and airport lounges great for 3-4 hour stop overs

Do you know if one can also use the business class lounges in other airports or only in Doha?In the booking website they only mention the use of the Doha lounge.

If i may,

Yes, they give you a ticket / certificate to enter nominated guest B.lounges should they not have their own at the airports which are on your intinary / Qatar air ticket

Not specifically mentioned, but do not worry,

You should get it on check in and it,s free. ( If it,s not given, then ask of course )

marshbags :o

Edited by marshbags

I see now Emirates 'Skywards' Gold and Silver card holders are NO LONGER allowed lounge access in their impressive Dubai terminal. That is a very poor show!

I just looked at the Skywards website, and it still shows Silver and Gold members as having access. Where did you see your information ?

(I'm expecting to fly Emirates in February, from the new T-3 terminal. I'll be in business class any ways, so it shouldn't matter as far as lounge access is concerned).

I see now Emirates 'Skywards' Gold and Silver card holders are NO LONGER allowed lounge access in their impressive Dubai terminal. That is a very poor show!

I have silver status,i think you can still use the lounge in T1 but not T3,I travel soon from lhr and i would think i land in T3 and depart T3,dont know if T1 is connected toT3,or if i will have time to use it.have to agree its a bit disappointing.

'bomber' wrote

I have silver status,i think you can still use the lounge in T1 but not T3,I travel soon from lhr and i would think i land in T3 and depart T3,dont know if T1 is connected toT3,or if i will have time to use it.have to agree its a bit disappointing.

The new Terminal 3 and Terminal 1 are connected, they are connected at the gates you used to get bussed from a lot. It is not too far if you are fit and abled bodied.

Yes very poor showing not letting Gold card members into their new business lounge in Terminal 3, your new lounge access is beside gate no 122.

Best Regards

Mr Conrad

With their speedy return to using Swampy airport, their quick actions [compared to many other airlines] in using U Tapao for flights, their 3 flights a day [ up from their normal 2] to help shift the backlog, good information on their global website with regards to the BKK problems and their still good service from the UK to BKK, I still side with one of the greater omissions in this poll :-

ETIHAD

:o

I put Cathay Pacific

Never had problems, in fact I had a passport that feel out of my

back pocket and the stewardess was nice enough to call and get somebody to get it

from my seat, I don't think many airlines would do that. I got her name & sent a letter

of thanks to her Office and they sent me a letter of thanks in return for notifying them

of her good service.

But Singapore Airlines is tough to beat.

Please correct your spelling in Poll Q.A.N.T.A.S!

Worst Tiger Air. Call Center Sux! I am waiting for somebody to add worst airline topic.

Emirates have gone downhill fast. Qatar Airways are good if you can get a good connection at Doha. Singapore are excellent but expensive to London.

I have never flown Etihad but they get very good reports and won all the awards for 2008, so i will be trying them next year. They are even offering Manchester and London-Bangkok for 450 pounds (6 month return).

nothing beats thai airway stewardess :D.......I traveled with Qantas once and there were all old ladies....

As for the plane...hate getting 747`s with no Entertainment unit in front of you....

Expensive? yeah i guess but not a substantial differnce.....just drink as many singhas to cover the difference :o

GO THAI!